Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had a breech vaginal birth? Experiences

(14 Posts)
kittykatsforever Wed 17-Apr-13 09:40:39

Hi I'm 34wks and baby has been breech since before 28wks ( she seems to like the position she's in) I know there's still scope to turn but likewise want to research all options and be prepared as worried by 36wks itl be alot of decisions etc if she hasn't especially as first dc was born at '37wks,
so i had a great vb first time and really keen to have that again and not cs- has anyone had a vb and how was it good or bad welcome as want an honist overview thanks

almostanotherday Wed 17-Apr-13 09:49:27

I tried, but ended up with a 12hr labour and in the end it was an emerg c section as my DS was in major distress and we nearly lost him.

I do not recommend it hmm

Exhaustipated Wed 17-Apr-13 10:00:11

I opted not to have one, just to give the other side of the story. I had severe SPD and just felt it wasn't for me. Was terrified in fact! But hospital would have been v supportive of a 'hands off' breech delivery ( this is very important) if I had wanted it. Look carefully into the experience and expertise of your hospital. Also hopefully your baby will turn! I couldn't have ECV due to low fluid levels (wasnt very keen anyway tbh) but that's always an option.

Fwiw I had an ELCS and it was a lovely calm moving experience, but tbh I found the recovery very tough compared to a vb.

Good luck! smile

kittykatsforever Wed 17-Apr-13 10:00:21

I'm sorry to hear that almost. Was it your first dc and can I ask any details, was it because he got stuck etc because of breech?

kittykatsforever Wed 17-Apr-13 10:03:36

Thankyou exhausted I think I'm just not pro cs because of circumstance, i have a 19 month dd who climbs all over me is very rough and tumble and the fact I had a good vb, also I'm worried they would book it for 39wks and ofcourse my first was 37wks then it becomes an emergency cs which I think would panic me as your in pain aswell as not knowing what's going to happen, I was also very quick

pod3030 Wed 17-Apr-13 10:07:50

i wasn't 'allowed' to give birth naturally with my breech dd, even though she was small and i was super fit. they said they didn't have the insurance, or trained staff. had to have a c section. this was nhs hospital.

kittykatsforever Wed 17-Apr-13 10:17:34

The mw I saw yesterday pod said that I may not be given that option pod but that I am entiteled to it and not to let them take that third choice/option away, she said its a dying art as not many get performed anymore but that there are qualified trained midwives that can and will support me if that's the choice I wanted but to research it

Daisybell1 Wed 17-Apr-13 11:03:06

I don't have any experience personally but do you have a midwife led unit near you? I know that breech would be classed as high risk but it's the mlu mws who are likely to have the most experience. At my unit they say they're regarded as goddesses in the local consultant unit as they happily deliver undiagnosed breech (as they have no choice). They may be your best port of call to find someone with the necessary experience if you choose to go down that route.

almostanotherday Wed 17-Apr-13 13:03:06

He was breach and had got stuck, the more I was pushing the more his heartbeat was dropping and then they lost heartbeat hence the emerg C section. No not first DC but only breach.

almostanotherday Wed 17-Apr-13 13:06:14

Also the MW and DRs I had, had not had dealings with a breach birth before which made it worse as they all panicked around me and then even more panic when they lost his heartbeat.

CS was just in time, thankfully.

LadyMedea Wed 17-Apr-13 13:16:31

Vaginal breech births do carry more risk for the baby (cs is more risk for Mum) but they are perfectly achievable! We just seem to automatically jump to cs now which I find odd.

This site from the Royal college of midwives is a good starting point.

But there are lots of situations where a vaginal breech delivery is not advisable.. not least not having experienced staff on hand!

kittykatsforever Wed 17-Apr-13 19:34:35

Bumping in the hope of any positive stories

StiffyByng Wed 17-Apr-13 19:44:32

My baby turned but beforehand I had lots of discussions about breech birth with my midwives. My hospital (Kings in London) does vaginal breeches and my midwives first suggestion was a natural delivery rather than a C section. However, they have plenty of experience in delivering these babies. I would have felt rather nervous contemplating it with inexperienced staff, and I am a huge fan of natural birth. Can you discuss with your midwives/Obs what the track record of your hospital is? Also how supportive they are of hands-off breech birth as opposed to assisted breech delivery? I was also wary that my hospital was very breech delivery orientated, whereas I would have wanted a breech birth so would have had some arguments about that!

StiffyByng Wed 17-Apr-13 19:45:07

PS if you haven't already, reading Mary Cronk is invaluable. She is the expert on breech birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now