Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anomaly scan results - where to look for further clarity?

(9 Posts)
MeanMrsMustard Tue 16-Apr-13 20:05:25

I had my scan yesterday at 20.6 weeks. The sonographer didn't say much, just told me which measurement he was taking and said 'its fine' for each one. We had a brief chat at the end, in which he reitterated that everything looked normal. We were relieved, happy, and didn't ask any questions.

I've since looked at the print out of my results, and whilst they are all in the normal range, they are quite scattered around it. I'm not especially worried (well, i'm trying not to be!), but I am curious to what, if anything, the combination of reslts could mean.

Is there anywhere I can look up the percentiles the different measurements are in? And (stupid question), are the percentiles used fixed or variable?

Is it normal to have a mix of above average and below average results? Or do people usually get most of their results in a similar range?

I think my baby is going to be a very odd shape!

TheCokeMachine Tue 16-Apr-13 20:39:42

It's normal to get a mixture of results. With DD1 her legs were short and her stomach was big. DH commented that we wouldn't have any trouble with boys.

She was 6lb born and looked like an average newborn.

I had DD2's scan six weeks ago and the sonographer said that it was normal to see a range of measurements. This one has longer legs, a smaller stomach and a bigger head.

MeanMrsMustard Tue 16-Apr-13 21:50:55

Thanks - thats what our measurements look like - shortish legs, big stomach. And whilst her head circumference is band on 50th percentile, it is kind of on the long and thin side.
I wish they gave ua less information. Its too easy to get worried!

Anyone else have very scattered results?

worsestershiresauce Tue 16-Apr-13 22:17:22

Yes, big head, big stomach, short legs and the rest bang on average. She was perfectly normal looking on arrival! Don't worry, measurements are never all that accurate, and average is just average. Who do you know that fits the average height/weight/footsize etc as an adult - no one.

elliejjtiny Wed 17-Apr-13 09:29:51

All mine have had varied measurements. DC4 is being scanned regularly and different parts of him/her seem to be growing at different rates. The measurements are in mm and grams at this stage so they can seem a really odd shape when you look at measurements but actually look fine. DC4 seemed to be very tall and skinny with a huge head at 20 weeks, now at 28 weeks he/she seems to be short with a fat tummy but average weight and still has a big head (ouch).

islingtongirl Wed 17-Apr-13 09:59:19

Oh yes I had a really scattering of measurements, generally everything was below 50 percentile apart from the stomach which seems to be above average! This seems pretty normal from the replies here though - I was wondering whether I was growing a little fatty with short legs, small head etc! ;)

MeanMrsMustard Wed 17-Apr-13 18:38:58

Thanks all. I feel reassured!
I really need to learn how to relax a little in this pregnancy. I just started to feel better about the scan, then started panicking because I hadnt felt her move much today. Oh and my bump hurts.

Anyway, feeling better about the measurements atleast. One step at a time eh?

Pizdets Wed 17-Apr-13 18:52:07

Oh, thanks so much for posting this! We had a 16 week anomaly scan this week and were the same...most things about 40/50th centile, but a couple about 60th. We had an early anomaly scan as we lost out last baby and I'd expected everything to line up neatly!

Although the consultant said it was all fine, I'd been worried about it but you've all made me feel much better. Thank you!

Piz

Laquila Thu 18-Apr-13 09:24:27

Slight hi-jack here - do they not normally send you to see the midwife too after a 20wk scan? We have ours later today and I'd kind of assumed that it would be like the 12wk scan, where you see the midwife too afterwards. Otherwise how are you meant to know what everything means?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now