Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

26 Weeks and eating everything?

(20 Posts)
IcingOnTheNappyCake Tue 16-Apr-13 16:40:41

I'm 26 weeks and after the first 18 weeks of eating next to nothing due to sickness, I find I just can't stop eating now! I already have a raised BMI (31) and I know I should be eating healthy and all that, but AH it's so difficult?! And all I want it sugary food (chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, cake, biscuits) and I've tried replacing it all with sweet fruits, I've had loads of bananas and grapes and apples pears strawberries! But they just don't satisify me if that makes sense? Any advice?! Or has anyone else had this?!

ExpatAl Tue 16-Apr-13 17:54:46

I'm neither a dietician or medically trained but a wild guess is that you're on a vicious circle - sugary foods leading to needing more sugary foods. Fruits are also high in sugar. If you don't have it in the house you can't eat it so I suggest buying some protein foods such as fish, chicken, cheese etc and try to have three proper meals every day. Make your snacks things like oatcakes with peanut butter or cheese. Or celery with houmus, that kind of thing. Hope this doesn't sound patronising. I don't have a sweet tooth so it's easy for me to say. Also, I don't know how far along you are but is it possible you're anaemic and trying to get energy through sweet things?

ExpatAl Tue 16-Apr-13 17:55:14

Sorry, just seen you said 26 weeks. So anaemia is a possibility.

IcingOnTheNappyCake Tue 16-Apr-13 18:03:33

Hmm i dont think so i have been tested for anaemia because of exceptional tiredness but came back negative, the thing is i get sweet things in for everyone else and when im out i just cant resist sad ive never had a sweet tooth really ive always preferred my savoury foods, i used to find sweets and especially chocolate really sickly!

ExpatAl Tue 16-Apr-13 18:08:34

Excessive sugar will make you very tired with constant crashes. Perhaps you should just go cold turkey for a while. Do you have to get sweet things in for everyone else?

IcingOnTheNappyCake Tue 16-Apr-13 18:14:26

Mmm i suppose, just so difficult when the one thing i really fancy is something so bad for me sad

ExpatAl Tue 16-Apr-13 18:18:31

Okay then carry on having the thing that's bad for you. Not sure why you posted in that case.

Runswithsquirrels Tue 16-Apr-13 18:20:51

Hayfever can cause tiredness and it's that time of year again. Also vitamin B12 helps fight fatgiue... or so I read - still waiting for it to kick in!

wispa31 Tue 16-Apr-13 18:23:07

while fruit does contain sugar it wont have the same insulin response as other sweet stuff (sweets cakes etc)
you could however try any berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawbs etc as they are lower fructose than other fruits so lower insulin response.
i wouldnt be cutting it out completely, as fruits are far better than any artificial sweet stuff as they contain vital nutrients, even try limiting to 3-4 pieces of fruit per day and ensure you are getting your veggies, and plenty good fats from avocados, organic virgin coconut oil, organic unsalted butter (NOT the spreadable shit in tubs, the block butter in foil.) fish oils (as a supp and/or from oily fish such as salmon and a decent serving of protein with each meal aswell. pp suggests eating fruit along with some fats, i would also, sliced apple or pear with peanut butter for example, is yummy as is celery or carrot with hummous.
avoid fruit juices if you can, especially at breakfast. fruit juice does not contain whole fruit, so unlike eating a piece of fruit the insulin response will be much higher. high blood glucose levels esp first thing in morn will set you up to store too much fat and theres also the risk of diabetes from high sugar levels, which you are already aware of.

Monka Tue 16-Apr-13 18:58:42

I too have that insatiable hunger at 23 weeks but find that I fill up very quickly but then get hungry again an hour or so later. Pre-pregnancy have a very sweet tooth but manage to fill up on cheese and crackers, yogurt, milk and bananas. I have salad with my main meals and add avocado and cook from scratch but still eat some sweet things. I've been feeling very faint and am suffering from low blood pressure. I had 500ml of lucozade today to get me through a meeting which I don't recommend as there is so much sugar and I worry about the harm I'm doing to the baby. I never worried when it was my own body. Try eating little and often to keep blood sugar levels stable and I agree eat fruit for the fibre but don't juice it.

IcingOnTheNappyCake Tue 16-Apr-13 19:07:40

ExpatAl just wanted to talk to someone see if anyone had any advice, am I not allowed to reply to advice?

Runswithsquirrels good point actually, didn't think of that! Will ask my midwife about if I can take anything to help smile

wispa31 I might try the berries thing! and yeah I know fruit juice is almost as bad as having the biscuits sometimes! I think I might try having some berries and yogurt - could work? hmm

Monka Yesss exactly! Small amounts but allll the time - at least it feels like all the time. I know exactly what you mean, I never used to worry - my body all of that - but I'm worrying that it'll effect the baby. I've been cooking all of my 'meals' (so small they're not much bigger than snacks) from scratch too, loads veggies and proteins so I know I'm getting nutrients, its the snacking I'm so dreadful at haha! It's nice to know I'm not the only one 'grazing'.

MisselthwaiteManor Tue 16-Apr-13 19:23:59

I'm 28 weeks and for the last couple of weeks have been unfillable. I'm trying to stick to protein and bulking things out with veggies, snacking on fruits and crackers and toast but I want chocolate and I do have chocolate. It doesn't matter how much I eat, I'm still hungry an hour later, and it's physical tummy-rumbling light-headed hunger, not just cravings. My weight gain has been on-track despite eating SO much so I'm going with the theory that if my body is asking for it it needs it!

ExpatAl Tue 16-Apr-13 20:12:52

OP, I realised I was taking my pissy mood out on you so left the thread - didn't realise I had posted that last msg. Sorry about that.

wispa31 Tue 16-Apr-13 20:30:53

icing - yogurt wise id stick with organic FULL FAT greek yogurt. stay away from sugar free/fat free shit, full of aspartame. and not nice. one of my other faves is a bowl of berries and some organic full fat double cream. its awesome!
monka - that is basically what im doing, gone off cooked veg unless im having one of dp's mums lovely sunday dinners and eating salad, namely chopped lettuce, grated carrot, chopped spring onion and some beetroot. mostly having that with pan fried chicken breast and some baby boiled potatoes. having that twice a day and boiled or fried egg and toast for brekky.

oatcakes with hummous also pretty tasty as a wee snack in between meals.

IcingOnTheNappyCake Wed 17-Apr-13 11:10:50

YouHeardTheManTubs I haven't weighed myself for a while because of this eating blush I lost over half a stone in the first trimester due to lack of appetite, so I reckon I'm up and past my pre pregnancy weight by now! Haha good for you not putting any on! Baby must be gobbling it all up wink

ExpatAl Ahh its okay we all have days like that most days for me thank you for your advice though xx

Wispa31 Good point about the yogurt, will have to check what I'm buying, this morning I had a nice big bowl of porridge and a big spoonful of jam smile still, it was satisfying and probably a lot better than the crap I have been eating, might make a nice salad for lunch, with a boiled egg in the salad grin may have an ice lolly as my mid afternoon snack though, they're not as bad and quite good at just diing me over...

fatandlumpy Wed 17-Apr-13 15:58:03

When I feel like stuffing my face (which is all the time!) I drink a load of fizzy water beforehand.

... then I fill my face.

Usually the fizzy water means I eat less.

Usually.

Unless it's dim sum - then I'm f*cked.

wispa31 Wed 17-Apr-13 19:40:42

that shit is in everything!! seriously!

IcingOnTheNappyCake Wed 17-Apr-13 19:48:09

fatandlumpy i have to try that!!

wispa31 i know never bothered me before but now im worried itll be bad for baby!

wispa31 Wed 17-Apr-13 22:22:41

this isnt a pregnancy aversion to anything with sweetners, i avoid it anyway, aspertame is a neurotoxin. to be avoided. that and its good friend aculcefame k (sp). stick to naturally sweet foods, ie, fruit etc.
i generally make all my own meals and eat clean anyway, have done for years due to competing.

IcingOnTheNappyCake Thu 18-Apr-13 08:38:58

wispa31 oh wow i must admit i didn't know why it was bad, just that it was... Thank you ill definitely be checking what im buying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now