Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Camembert

(14 Posts)
MissFredi Tue 16-Apr-13 12:52:18

So, you're not allowed to eat Camembert, Brie etc when pregnant. But I read somewhere if it is THOUROUGHLY cooked, you're okay to have it because the cooking kills any bacteria.

Firstly, is this actually true, and secondly, if it is, that is fantastic as its my favourite kind of cheese and I always have it melted on ciabattas anyways.

oscarwilde Tue 16-Apr-13 12:59:08

You can eat it if it has been pasturised or cooked thoroughly or you choose to ignore this guideline
Enjoy grin

fruitypie Tue 16-Apr-13 13:00:24

I also read that its ok to eat when thoroughly cooked...which is just as well as baked camembert with some crusty bread is my fave!!

seeker Tue 16-Apr-13 13:04:52

For a girl or a boy? grin

silverangel Tue 16-Apr-13 13:12:23

You can eat most supermarket brie and camembert as it's pasteurised...

Dh2812 Tue 16-Apr-13 13:17:29

Really interested to know where it actually says you can eat it if it's cooked. I've only seen this advice on boards, not on anywhere official or with stats to back up. Really hoping there is somewhere that says it officially as I love cheese!

Bejeena Tue 16-Apr-13 13:23:35

Well my doctor told me that it is fine as cooking kills the listeria bacteria chance, so that is good enough for me.

roofio87 Tue 16-Apr-13 13:25:52

nhs.website quote "Thorough cooking should kill any bacteria, so it should be safe to eat cooked soft cheeses or dishes that contain them, such as baked brie or deep-fried camembert. Hard blue cheeses such as stilton are safe to eat without cooking."

snickersnacker Tue 16-Apr-13 13:27:26

According to the NHS, even pasteurised soft mould-ripened cheeses like brie and Camembert are not safe because of the risk of listeria developing in the rind: NHS

It's confusing because unpasteurised hard cheeses (eg emmental and Stilton) are safe - it's to do with the soft rind on Camembert etc providing an environment for bacteria to breed.

Confirmation that cooked Brie etc is safe, pasteurised or not: also from NHS.

Dh2812 Tue 16-Apr-13 13:41:33

Thank you. NHS website is good enough or me! Off to eat baked Camembert!

MissFredi Wed 17-Apr-13 01:03:33

Thanks for all the replies!grin

I might limit myself just in case. But I won't cut it out completely with it being just...nomnomnomenvy

Sunnysummer Wed 17-Apr-13 02:03:54

Agree with cooked! This is one of the guidelines I've followed as there was recently an outbreak of listeria in pasteurised, supermarket-sold Camembert and Brie in Australia and a woman miscarried hmm

Oozy Camembert will definitely be on my post pregnancy feast list...

aufaniae Wed 17-Apr-13 02:24:06

Mmmmmmm Camembert! smile

SeriousStuff Wed 17-Apr-13 11:40:33

Yes! Bake it and dip bread, carrots, celery, cucumber or crackers into it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now