Talk

Advanced search

Flying at 35 weeks?

(10 Posts)
Bejeena Tue 16-Apr-13 11:23:51

Ok so the title pretty much says it all really. Has anyone flown at 35 weeks? I have checked with the airline and you can fly until the end of the 36th week, I would be flying at the end of 35th week.

For a bit more information we live in Germany and would be a trip back to the UK so if anything were to happen and baby came early we'd be covered under normal EU health insurance for NHS care plus it is not as if we'll be travelling to a country where we don't speak the language etc. and if baby were to come early it'd be something we could live with. I also have extra European cover.

I can also check with our travel insurance about having to cancel, but to be honest I think I could live with losing the money of the flights anyway. However assume with doctors note we are also covered for that.

Am wondering if I am just being mad even considering it?

fedupwithdeployment Tue 16-Apr-13 11:28:21

I did this (flight to the US at 35 weeks) and had no problems. It is a short flight, and if you are happy, I would go for it.

We had a last weekend away pre DS1 when I was 37 weeks pg. We got the ferry to France and had a lovely weekend....it was a bit too far in the car, but other than that, no issues.

You will get lots of other views saying the opposite, but ultimately it will come down to how you feel at the tie.

Good luck.

NotTreadingGrapes Tue 16-Apr-13 11:31:12

I flew at 36 weeks. Got a doc's letter to say I was healthy, they didn't even notice I was pg and didn't ask for it, prob thought I'd had too many pies!

Tbh, it's more whether the airline would take you rather than whether you're likely to end up giving birth while over there.

Bejeena Tue 16-Apr-13 15:06:09

Thanks for the replies. The website of airline clearly staes that you can fly up to the end of the 36th week so I think that should be fine as long as I have a doctor's note which am sure will also not be a problem.

soapnuts Tue 16-Apr-13 15:13:16

I flew longhaul at 35+5 a few months ago - nobody even asked for my letter! I did give it to them though and air crew were v nice to me! that was with BA - think it depends on airline as flew with lufthansa at 20 weeks and had ground staff demand a letter and told me i should have told airline in advance "for my own safety"! (i'm afraid i laughed and asked if she wanted to see my scan photo!)

just get the letter and drink lots of water and move around lots. I survived a 12 hour flight (then transit to another hour flight) on my own with my toddler - not the most fun ever but definitely do-able

Bejeena Tue 16-Apr-13 16:03:51

Thanks Soapnuts for your input. I am probably flying Lufthansa in June and will be 30 weeks although not booked the flights for that trip yet. I will be sure to let them know 'for my own safety'.

Teaandflapjacks Tue 16-Apr-13 17:24:44

Soapnuts - how ridiculous of them - maybe you got a 'computer says no' employee?!? I just flew Lufthansa - I also live in Germany but from UK - and was 22 weeks and obviously pregnant. No one asked for anything from me, but were really nice, partic with out super heavy luggage stuffed full of baby clothes from UK relatives grin (no extra charges...) and wished us both the best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy - we got this all the way across. Prob best to have something on the off chance someone makes a fuss! confused

Teaandflapjacks Tue 16-Apr-13 17:28:12

Bejeena - I found the whole flying pretty knackering - this was at 21 and 22 weeks, but I did have to change for a connection (two short hauls back to back) and had planned to go back again before the baby comes but decided against it now. It whacked me out completely for a couple of days after. I do get morning sickness on and off, which didn't help on the way out - but just thought I would let you know my experience, in case it helps.

islingtongirl Wed 17-Apr-13 10:24:27

I got asked how many weeks I was this weekend by BA before I got on the plane - I am 21 weeks with my first and didn't think it was that obvious - clearly I am deluding myself! It got me thinking though, as I am going on hols again at 26 weeks, maybe I should get a doctors note - I'm flying Easyjet, does anyone know if they have a right to demand it? checked website and seem to let you fly up to 32 weeks but you just never know when you will get a "computer says no" employee, as Teaandflapjacks said...!

Bejeena - if it was me and I felt ok at 35 weeks, I would fly shorthaul definitely. I think it is just one of those things you may not know nearer to the time though. I am driving from London to Edinburgh with OH to a wedding when I will be 36 weeks, and am still planning to do this, although I think a lot will depend on how things are nearer the time...I guess we just never know when baby might decide to make an appearance, not to mention we will probably be knackered! I think plan to go, but have in the back of your mind the possibility you may get to that point and things may change.

AirDuster Wed 17-Apr-13 19:08:07

Sorry to hijack, but fedupwithdeployment, where did you get insurance from? Would be helpful to know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now