Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you start to show properly with dc1?

(22 Posts)
whiterose2011 Mon 15-Apr-13 18:53:40

The reason I ask is we previously had a mc and I'm nervous about telling people. I'd like to leave it a bit later than the normal 12 weeks (I also had a friend who mc'd about 2 weeks after she announced she was pg which was devastating for her).

I know it's all individual but I'm just looking for a guide. I'm about 5' 7", size 12 so it's not like I can hide it forever!! I was thinking about 16 weeks. Is this realistic or am I being crazy??

Of course, I need to get to this point and am keeping everything crossed for a successful pregnancy but any help/comments would be much appreciated. TIA xx

NoodieRoodie Mon 15-Apr-13 19:02:09

For me 16 weeks was perfectly hideable.

I went into maternity jeans at about 20 weeks but that was only cos the button on my normal ones was digging into the bottom of my bump.

I was probably about 23/24 weeks before I really had a noticable bump, annoyingly people kept telling me that I wasn't showing to which I wanted to reply "I'm not normally porky round the middle!!"

btw I'm 5'10" and a size 12

riskit4abiskit Mon 15-Apr-13 19:04:02

I'm 18 weeks and just told people, noone guessed but I am a 12 to 14 in size so a bit chubby normally! I do think this week belly is just starting to get rounder, bigger as the day goes on!

roofio87 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:10:42

I'm 15+3 with my first and already showing a little. size 10 normally and just have a very expanded tummy. but it is just about still hideable under clothes. fortunately I'm out in the open though!!

Lj8893 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:17:44

I'm 12 weeks and although wouldn't say I'm showing but have put on 2 inches on my belly, 3 inches on my waist!!! But then I'm already a curvy girl at size 16. And my family are always massive with pregnancy!

Kelly1814 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:18:29

I'm 15 weeks and zero bump at all.

Having cerclage tomorrow so have told very few people, including work. I may become huge overnight or I may be able to stay quiet for another month, that's what I'm hoping.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Mon 15-Apr-13 19:18:44

At 16 weeks it was obvious if you knew me / wore snug clothing, but probably not if you didn't or I was wearing something loose fitting (Sz 8/10 5ft4). I think I had my first 'how long to go?' comment from a stranger at 20 weeks. Although I had to wear maternity jeans for comfort from about 13 weeks!

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Mon 15-Apr-13 19:18:46

I was size 8 and 5ft 9 (I have a long body and short legs). I had a completely flat stomach for ages and wore a bikini at 22 weeks and no one noticed. I wore maternity trousers quite early just for comfort.

I'd had a miscarriage first time round too. It took a long time after the 12 week scan before I really believed it was happening this time.

Good luck!

IslaValargeone Mon 15-Apr-13 19:20:39

22 weeks and I still only looked like I had pre menstrual bloat.
My boobs on the other hand..they entered the room 5 minutes before the rest of me.

whiterose2011 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:33:56

Thanks ladies. It's amazing how different our bodies are isn't it!

Riskit - how did you explain not telling people earlier? I wonder if people will think its weird that we've kept it to ourselves for so long (we only told 5 people about our mc).

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 15-Apr-13 19:36:30

I had a really small bump, so it was more like 27-28 weeks + before strangers could tell I was pregnant. I didn't start wearing maternity clothes until after 20 weeks. I went to the post office the day I was induced and it was quite funny to see a few chins hit the floor when I answered a question about when I was due with 12 days ago grin
He popped out at 8lb 8oz so I must just hide them well confused

fertilityFTW Tue 16-Apr-13 08:29:05

I was a teeny size 6 so bump was quite prominent pretty soon - but till week 16 I could certainly disguise it, especially as I've always worn oversized clothes. My best friend could tell immediately though, even from a distant photo with me wearing a baggy sweatshirt!

Bejeena Tue 16-Apr-13 09:06:22

I am short at 5ft 2 and size 8. A bump wasn't really noticable to people who didn't know me until about 18 weeks I'd say. However from about 14 weeks on it could have looked like I was just getting fatter to most people but I could hide it as was winter.

Congratulations :-)

Foxeym Tue 16-Apr-13 09:17:27

I'm size 10, 5'6" and pregnant with DC3 and looked about 6 months pregnant at 10 weeks!! My belly just completely bloated out straight away, no way to hide it!

RJM17 Tue 16-Apr-13 09:33:05

I'm only 9 weeks with dc1 and I have already put on nearly 3 inches and my clothes are tight but also my boobs have grown a lot!! So some of my close friends guessed because of that so we have now told people.
But I am already a size 16 and my family all put on quite a bit with pregnancy and were showing quite early on x

BentleyBelly Tue 16-Apr-13 09:45:22

Its a very individual thing. I am 5'2" and a size 8/10. I was showing quite early. I had an obvious bump from 14 weeks but I could just about hide it with the right clothes. I am now 21 weeks and huge, I keep getting comments about how big I am and there is no way I could hide it. My Mum was also massive when she was pregnant, has your Mum ever commented on how big she was when she was expecting?

HazleNutt Tue 16-Apr-13 09:45:50

I started to look pregnant pretty much overnight at 22 weeks - before that I just looked like I'd eaten too many pies and could easily hide it.

BentleyBelly Tue 16-Apr-13 09:48:15

I also didn't really announce it until after the 20 week scan. If I bumped into anyone and it was obvious then I told them but I didn't put anything on FB for example until then. Its completely up to you who you tell and when and you don't need to explain why you have waited if thats what you want to do.

Bejeena Tue 16-Apr-13 10:37:40

BentleyBelly I am glad that I am not the only one getting comments about how big I am. I am 22 weeks now and also pretty huge so am hoping that like you it is just the small frame making it look more dramatic.

megarobotdiscoparty Tue 16-Apr-13 11:40:01

I am also 5'7" and a 12. I didn't tell most people til after 20 weeks and people at work were still only just spotting the bump at 25 weeks. It's obviously differentfor everyone and I had Christmas to blame, but a bit of floaty dressing works wonders.

whiterose2011 Tue 16-Apr-13 13:42:06

I'm not sure about my mum and she is quite a different build to me as I take after my dad's side of the family. I do remember my sis complaining about not having a bump with her dc1, probably up to about 16 weeks. But she love being the centre of attention and was sticking her stomach out/wearing tight clothes all the time in the hope the people would comment! LOL! I sometimes wonder if we are actually related!! wink

I think I'll just play it by ear and see how it goes. Maybe I can just tell my manager so I get time off for appt's and then filter it out from there when the time feels right. Xx

BraveLilBear Tue 16-Apr-13 14:55:31

I was 5ft 4in size 8 beforehand and had nothing at all til 16 weeks, when I started to get a bit podgy in places.

Could still hide it easily until 21 weeks, and when a manager at work told all of her team (without my consent) at about 20 weeks, they were all gobsmacked. For me, it became unhidable between 21 and 22 weeks when it popped into a round ball one afternoon - and now at 26 weeks I have strangers talking to me about the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now