Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is It Normal to Have to Wait 'til about 12 Weeks for Booking In?

(23 Posts)
Tinyflutterby Mon 15-Apr-13 15:28:27

Hi, I'm 7 weeks pg with dc2 and honestly can't remember what happened last time, but saw my GP a couple of weeks ago and she said I wouldn't get my first midwife appointment til I was about 12 weeks. Is this normal? Surely they should be checking you before then? Even though I already have a ds, I still have loads of questions second time round too. I'm also a worrier and feel I need some reassurance, but still have 5 weeks to go.

LadyMedea Mon 15-Apr-13 15:34:35

Booking in is normally 8 to 10 weeks, but maybe your area does a combined booking and scan.

I'd speak to your community midwife team. Your doctors reception will have the number. Even if it is 12 weeks be good to get yourself an appointment on the books.

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 15-Apr-13 15:35:22

Have you got a scan date?

You should be able to check on your pct website, but here they try to book in between 8-10wks.

Tinyflutterby Mon 15-Apr-13 15:36:44

Thanks Lady. GP did say she'd refer me but I havn't heard anything at all yet.

roofio87 Mon 15-Apr-13 15:49:12

my booking in was at 12+4 along with my scan!!

janey1234 Mon 15-Apr-13 15:51:04

Booking in was actually after the 12 week scan for me, at about 13+4. So I think it's pretty normal in some areas...

elliejjtiny Mon 15-Apr-13 15:54:07

my booking with this baby was at 12+1.

StiffyByng Mon 15-Apr-13 15:55:43

I've had my bookings in relatively close to my scan both times. To be brutal (sorry) I think it's partly waiting to see whether early pregnancies are continuing, for resource reasons. There's not a great deal midwife can do so early on physically.

MrsHY1 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:55:35

Daft question, but how does one go about getting their 12 wk scan? I'm due to have a 7wk scan on Weds at my IVF clinic, and (touching every available wooden surface for miles around) if everything is ok I think I get discharged from their care. I have told my GP I'm pregnant and he said to make an appt with the midwife at the practice after Wednesday's scan. Would she then book the 12 wk scan in at that point, within the NHS? Am a bit confuddled. Thanks for bearing with me.

MrsHY1 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:55:39

Daft question, but how does one go about getting their 12 wk scan? I'm due to have a 7wk scan on Weds at my IVF clinic, and (touching every available wooden surface for miles around) if everything is ok I think I get discharged from their care. I have told my GP I'm pregnant and he said to make an appt with the midwife at the practice after Wednesday's scan. Would she then book the 12 wk scan in at that point, within the NHS? Am a bit confuddled. Thanks for bearing with me.

ella0 Mon 15-Apr-13 18:37:40

Mine was at 12 weeks, at the same time as the scan.

RJM17 Mon 15-Apr-13 18:46:47

I had my booking in at 8 weeks but I had to contact the hospital myself to arrange it as the doctor just confirmed that I was pregnant x

Blending Mon 15-Apr-13 19:04:59

MrsHy1 yes the midwife will book you in for your 12 week scan, once you have been discharged from the IVF clinic, give them a call and set up an appointment. Good luck for Wednesday!

MrsHY1 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:21:58

Thanks so much Blending!

BabyHMummy Tue 16-Apr-13 10:05:21

Hi op. Ur community mw should see u between 8-10 weeks but booking in at hospital is combined with forstbscan at 12-14 weeks

Hth

Tinyflutterby Wed 17-Apr-13 14:37:19

Thanks everyone, just to update you, I got my appointments in today, so it'll be 9 weeks for my booking in and 10 weeks for my scan. The GP is counting it as 10 and 11 weeks, but that is based on a 28 day cycle, which I have never had and I know I conceived later. Good luck everyone!

DanniiH Wed 17-Apr-13 17:37:34

3 yrs ago my gp booked mw appt for me but this time when I went to gp they gave me mw number to ring myself so I 'd try to get your local midwife services phone number and get booked in, mine was at 10 weeks. x

StiffyByng Wed 17-Apr-13 19:39:16

Just a warning, TinyFlutterBy. If you are 10 weeks when you have the scan, that will be too early for a nuchal fold measurement. You'll probably be asked to return for a second scan. You might like that idea! But if it would be a pain, it might be worth calling the hospital and discussing it with them beforehand.

DanniiH Wed 17-Apr-13 21:14:16

Stiffy, I was referring to my booking in being at 10 weeks and they booked my scan there and then for 12 weeks. Think it depends on the pct. X

Tinyflutterby Wed 17-Apr-13 22:00:37

Stiffy - that's funny I read the leaflet and realised that too, so spoke to DH when he came in from work and we decided I should call tommorow and tell them as I'm worried they would only do the one early scan and not bother doing the check. Will see what they say when I call anyway. If they tell me just to keep the appointment I can tell the mw at the booking appointment as its first anyway. Need to start making a list of all the things I have to ask!

StiffyByng Wed 17-Apr-13 23:26:23

Yes, Danni. Was talking to OP!

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 08:30:38

Oops sorry stiffy! I missed op's last comment before you said that! I agree i'd reschedule for 12 weeks, there's more to see then anyway so it'll be better and less time then to wait before the 20 week scan! x

Tinyflutterby Thu 18-Apr-13 13:00:46

Hi, I called the hosp this morning and they've made my scan appointment for a week later, so I'll be 11+ then so think that's better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now