Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Own up...

(25 Posts)
DaveMccave Mon 15-Apr-13 10:26:41

How many baby clothes have you accumulated in each size? I swore I'd only get what was necessary this time. But I just can't help it. I am at least buying mostly second hand which eases my conscience a bit. But when I see the 'what do you need' posts that say 9 vests and sleepsuits max I blush

My dd was in newborn size for a few months so I have loads of that mostly and a few bits in the others. I'm going to end up with a 10lber aren't I?! I'm telling myself I can just sell it all on for the same prices thereabouts to get bigger sizes. But I'm not going over board on bigger sizes as I didn't find out the sex.

Own up and make me feel better and I can get back on eBay with less guilt. grin

ThedementedPenguin Mon 15-Apr-13 10:34:17

I got loads. Ds is now 7 months.

I knew what I was having so friends and people I know have me a lot if their baby clothes they grew out of,

I ended up loads if clothes in each size. I had tiny baby clothes, newborn (I had 2x jeans, 2x trousers, 7x jumpers, 15x sleep suits and 16x vests.) 0-3 I had a massive bin bag of clothes, 3-6 I had a bin bag and 3 plastic bags of clothes. For 6-9 I had quite a bit of clothes but no vests or sleep suits, so I bought a lot of these. Also for next size 9-12 months I need to buy vests and sleep suits.

I also ended up with a lot of clothes as presents.

ChunkyPickle Mon 15-Apr-13 10:39:51

I have loads... Toddler DS has always had bags of (also second hand) clothes - I don't really have to buy much more than socks or pants until he's about 5 I think (he's 2.5) it's all in plastic boxes above his wardrobe, and as he grows out of one size I pack it into a new plastic box and pass it on to someone else..

I'm going to do the same with the next one - a big second hand baby bundle saves so much mucking about when they wake up one morning and you discover they've grown an inch overnight.

Pascha Mon 15-Apr-13 10:43:43

I've just packed away two big boxes of newborn and 0-3 in the loft, and thats just the stuff thats usable. Lots of vests and gros got chucked as too grim to use again or give away. I'm just realising I don't really have enough 3-6m though as they are all the wrong season. I shall have to go shopping again. Oh dear! wink

FoofFighter Mon 15-Apr-13 12:39:08

I've only got 0-3 so far. And about 3/4 is secondhand.
I Haven't bothered with newborn size, never have.
Got More than the recommended amount (seriously who can cope with just 12 of everything??) but probably not enough either, it's all neutrals as we are on team yellow and banking on getting some lovely gifts to boost our stash ;)

Umlauf Mon 15-Apr-13 12:42:19

I haven't got anything. Now I feel bad! Am 17 weeks. How far are you?!

Pascha Mon 15-Apr-13 12:50:01

Relax, Umlauf. There's no shop in the world with a 23 week long queue, you won't end up with no clothes at 40 weeks.

I didn't buy anything til after the 20 week scan and even then it was just bits and pieces. In fact, with my first I had to take my SIL out shopping to tell be what to buy as I had no real clue at all.

eltsihT Mon 15-Apr-13 13:03:45

I am due with my second.

First time round I bought a baby grow at a gig at 24weeks (6-12 month), then panicked at 38 weeks and bought 1 packet of sleep suits(3) to put into my hospital bag. That was it.... Luckily family and friends bought loads, I didn't have to buy a stitch of clothing for ds till he was over a year old.

This time round have deliberately not found out sex so I wouldn't go shopping (I would love to go spend a fortune on pretty pink frilly things -totally impractical things). So have bought no clothes at all for the new baby. I have however gone through ds clothes from 0-6 month sizes and sorted them into 2 piles 1 defiantly boy, and 1 I would dress a girl in this. Have them washed and ironed and ready to go (am 36 weeks)

DaveMccave Mon 15-Apr-13 15:42:47

Umlauf, I'm 23 weeks so a while to go, that's what I'm worried about!

foof do you have huge babies? Dd didn't fit in 0-3 for 3 months and I've never known a baby go straight into it.

I checked what I have before, and although it is excessive considering I'm only just past half way, it's not as obscene as I thought! Just need to stop now and it won't be so bad.

(Newborn and 0-1)
18 newborn sleepsuits
2 short rompers
8 leggings/velour trousers
8 long sleeve bodysuits
8 short sleeve bodysuits
Some newborn baby leg warmers
2 hooded jackets.

(0-3, 2-4 )
10 sleepsuits
5 long sleeve bodysuits
3 leggings

And a handful of 3-6.

FoofFighter Mon 15-Apr-13 16:07:22

not huge no, just my other two fitted right into them (a few might have been a bit big but doesn't matter) so I'm not wasting money on an extra size that might only do a couple of weeks.

DaveMccave Mon 15-Apr-13 16:09:35

Maybe my dd was freakishly small. I'll be gutted if this one grows out of them in a week! smile

cupcake78 Mon 15-Apr-13 18:58:04

Been very good- 30 wks. I have 6 sleep suits, 5 vests, 4 pairs of socks. That's it until we find out sex.

SourSweets Mon 15-Apr-13 19:32:01

I have filled a chest of drawers with clothes and blankets and am starting to fill the bathroom shelves with wipes and sudocrem. I'm only 24 weeks! We don't have a big disposable income so have found it easier to buy a coupe of bits every month or a pack of wipes at every food shop rather than have a big expense in the last 2 months or so. Different strokes for different folks!

RugBugs Mon 15-Apr-13 19:41:50

DD didn't go into 0-3 until 2 months (she was generally 2 months behind clothes sizes) and we had zero newborn clothes. She wasn't overly small, 55cms and 7lb1.
I only need to buy newborn/up to 10lb sizes and I reckon I've got about half with 15 and a bit weeks to go. The next sale is handily timed mid-July so I'll be panic buying then if I have to grin

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 15-Apr-13 19:58:20

I had SO many given to me for DD - she was a very sick baby and I used every one!

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 15-Apr-13 19:58:51

Not sick/ill - just vommed a lot.

atrcts Mon 15-Apr-13 20:50:53

Crikey - I've got loads from my first, but am thinking about topping up a little for the second (some had to be chucked as far too stained from my little reflux boy!).

Thing is though, I keep some spares in the boot of the car, some in the pram bag, and some downstairs to save running up and down all day long. Then of course there are some in the bedroom upstairs....

The idea was always that I can avoid stairs as I have medical issues with using stairs too much. The car thing is so that my failing memory doesn't have to waste energy trying to remember what to take with every fresh outing - it's always kept insitu so no need for brain-strain! Same with the pram bag.

It might be a bit of an overreaction after having had such a sicky baby, but I'll be having a CS this time round so probably won't be up to shopping for a bit. "To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail", and all that ;)

So I have probably about 20 vests and 20 sleepsuits, 5 kept in various places. I couldn't have done it with 6, some days I got through 6 in 24 hours!!!!

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 15-Apr-13 21:04:18

I bought more newborn stuff for my 2nd, I assumed that DD would grow out of it really quickly but even two weeks of only 3 babygros that properly fit is a pita!

honey86 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:20:33

ive bought 5 pairs scratch mitts, 2x booties, a jangly toy, a bunny teddy, a doppler, 3x bodysuits, a velour sleepsuit, an all in one baby gap suit, a baby armani hat, a mothercare hat , a blanket, an electric bottle/baby food warmer, and a bt baby monitor.

im 11 weeks and havent had my scan yet blush wooops.
dont you look at me like that! blushgrin pmsl i have a shopping problem.

honey86 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:28:05

and thanks rugbugs for notifying of the next sale... grin and i forgot to mention the hamper i won in a raffle, had loadsa johnsons baby goodies in including sudocrem and gripe water xx

BabyHMummy Mon 15-Apr-13 22:06:31

I have bought about a dozen outfits me across 0-3 & 3-6 and have a mountain of second hand stuff...about 20 sleepsuits and half a dozen vests which i know i need more of. Have been given lots of bits by a friend as i known are having a girl. Unfortunately due to timing a lot of the bigger stuff isn't suitable due to her dd being born in June and mine is due mid August so when she hits 3-6 we will be knee deep in snow!

RugBugs Mon 15-Apr-13 22:32:10

I'm going to have the seasonal problem too BabyHMummy! DD1 was November born so I have lots of lovely 3-6 summer clothes which will fit DD2 anywhere between Nov - April!
Not that it often gets warm enough to wear a sleeveless top here (unless you are proper hard, or planning to get so drunk you won't notice).

BabyHMummy Mon 15-Apr-13 22:46:33

Lol rug she has given me lots of lovely t shirt dresses etc but will just be too cold for them which is such a shame! Will be in thermals here if this past winter is anything to go by!!

elliejjtiny Mon 15-Apr-13 23:39:25

I have loads of baby clothes grin.

For DS1 I bought a t-shirt in 0-3 and a bundle from ebay in 3-6. My cousin gave me her baby's cast offs and we got a lot of presents.

DS2 had all that plus I bought him a "coming home" babygrow, pack of 3 sleepsuits and a few pairs of trousers in 0-3.

DS3 had all that plus a "coming home" babygrow and I think I bought him a pack of 3 sleepsuits too. I also bought him a snowsuit and booties.

DC4 (currently 28 weeks pregnant) has all that plus some new vests and sleepsuits in 0-3.

These days DS1 gets mostly new clothes and the others get the hand me downs plus a few new bits so with each child their wardrobes increase with both size and scruffiness!

RugBugs Wed 17-Apr-13 21:45:07

I forced (yeah right!) myself to do a list of what we've actually got and blush it's more than I thought!
In newborn i.e.up to 7/8lbs I've got 10 sleepsuits, 8 vests and four outfits.
In up to 10lbs I've got 14 sleepsuits, 18 vests and about 6 outfits. Two coats and a pramsuit.

Then it gets a bit crazy with all the 0-3/14lb stuff, there's a massive bag of it. I've somehow got about a dozen pairs of 0-3 tights, more than that in socks and about 20 bibs!
I swear I've not bought much myself hides white company bag and we bought next to nothing for DD1, first GC on my side so we were given so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now