Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I still claim tax credits while on mat leave

(5 Posts)
lexxy32 Sun 14-Apr-13 22:47:37

My SMP is due to end 15th July 2013, I have just found out I am pregnant again still early days, my mat leave is not due to end til 15th Oct 2013 and I worked out I am due about 5th December, if I didn't return to work when my SMP runs out can I still claim trax credits, I know I will be £500 per month down but If I can still get tax credits I can survive, and than my second baby is due 3 weeks after mat leave ends, will I get a second lot of SMP or will I have to claim MA XXX

Becky2406 Mon 15-Apr-13 11:25:59

The best thing to do is ring the tax credits I'm 16 weeks pregnant and talked to them the other day but I'm in a different situation. I work 24 hours and due in September. I found out as I have a contract I'm in their eyes still working so my tax credits won't be affected ! This is baby number 4 eecckk smile I hope u get the answers your looking for xx good luck with your pregnancy xx

carrielou2007 Mon 15-Apr-13 12:57:14

You will only get SMP if you are working within the qualifying weeks (I'd it 15-25 though prob wrong just rings a bell with me). I don't know about tax credits as I though they are only if you are working? Bring on mat leave for the first 39 weeks is classed same as working but j think after then for the unpaid bit you aren't able to claim tax credits I think then it is whatever for when you are not working - sorry no idea if that us job seekers/income support as never applied to me so I honestly don't know.

Are you a single parent or not? Obs if you have a husband/partner your household income drops during your next mat leave so as long as they work I think it's 24 hours and your j cond then below the cutoff you would still get tax credits.

Hope that makes sense!!

Mutley77 Mon 15-Apr-13 13:24:33

I don't think you would qualify for SMP or MA if you haven't been working during your pregnancy. Both of these are contributory benefits as far as I know, which means you have to pay in in order to get out.

Jsa1980 Mon 15-Apr-13 14:53:44

I thought if you we're claiming SMP you were still classed as employed by tax credits people and by your work. Not sure about rolling claims though, I think you would have to go back in the interim to qualify for a second lot of SMP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now