Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby 23 weeks pregnant and I am pregnant again

(9 Posts)
lexxy32 Sun 14-Apr-13 22:44:02

Hi everyone titled says it all, still shocked but feel blessed. I went on mat leave 15th October 2012, my SMP pay runs out 15th July, but my mat leaves runs out 15th Oct 2013, My question really is will I get SMP again? Will I need to go work for a few months to qualify again for SMP. I am due with my second about 5th December I am still very early, any advice would be greatly appreciated xxxx

headintheclouds Sun 14-Apr-13 22:48:19

i dont understand your post,I assume you mean your baby is 23 weeks old and you are pregnant again?

lexxy32 Sun 14-Apr-13 22:54:21

Hi yes sorry my head is a bit fuzzy from the shock haha xx

fanjodisfunction Mon 15-Apr-13 17:46:21

I'm not sure, you will have to check with personnel at work.

iloveholidays Mon 15-Apr-13 19:12:19

I think you can start maternity leave anytime after 29 weeks up until due date so I would guess you wouldn't need to go back although you'd obviously be starting your maternity leave fairly early. I assume you'd have holiday accrued too.

Congrats

daveydavidson Mon 15-Apr-13 19:14:43

I think it's based on your income for the previous year. So if you've not been working for much of that year, you won't get alot. I know lots of people who go back for exactly a year before trying for a 2nd to get maximum maternity pay!

Cj1981 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:36:02

Hi lexxy and congrats. I am in exactly the same position as you (except that this is DC3). You will be entitled to further SMP provided you earn enough (I think currently at least £109 per week). This is calculated by taking your average weekly pay in the 2 months prior to the 15th week before your due date. In other words, provided between week 17 and 25 of your pregnancy you earn on average at least £109 per week then you will be entitled.

If you were planning on taking unpaid maternity leave you may want to reconsider this in order to make sure that you are entitled to further SMP. You'll also want to check and double check your dates to make sure you don't miss out by not returning to work on time.

pinkteapot Mon 15-Apr-13 19:38:40

I was in a very similar situation, pregnant again 4 month after baby born and 4.5 months into maternity leave. it depends on your company policy. in order for me to keep my mat pay, I had to return to work for 3 calendar months. however you will be accumulating annual leave and stat days on this 1st mat leave, they will have to allow you to take those within your 3 months if you wish. having said all that, that was my company policy, yours may be different. ask for a copy of the company maternity policy as it may vary...

pinkteapot Mon 15-Apr-13 19:41:30

I should add, returning to work (in office and on annual leave) for 3 months brought me to within 11 weeks of my due date, which was the earliest I could take maternity no 2 from... taking your next maternity earlier may mean you can just go back for the minimum time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now