Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Symptoms of early pregnancy - help for daughter

(18 Posts)
firesidechat Sun 14-Apr-13 18:34:35

My daughter has just phoned me and is unsure about whether she is pregnant or if she has something else that needs sorting.

She has the following:

A brown discharge which is too light for tampon and only needs a liner. This is at about the time that she would usually have her period.

Very bad headache

Lower back ache for a few days which has gone today

Feeling lethargic

Diarrhoea this morning, but is taking folic acid which she says can cause diarrhoea. We never took it in our day, so not sure about this either.

My one and only early symptom of early pregnancy was sore boobs and extreme tiredness, so I wasn't sure what to advise. Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience of symptoms like these? She's going to take a test in the morning, but was a bit worried that something might be wrong.

Ant advice would be much appreciated.

TimeIsACurrency Sun 14-Apr-13 19:41:02

I'm not sure about the discharge sorry. But really pregnancy has such a large and varied list of symptoms, many of which cover when your periods due also, that the only way she'll know is in the morning when she's tested. I guess she's trying if she's taking folic acid?
Can she just nip out to a petrol station or something and get a test if she's worried?

firesidechat Sun 14-Apr-13 20:08:08

Thanks for the reply.

She has some tests ready, but it's so early that she thought a morning test would be more accurate. I think she is a bit worried about an ectopic. You know what it's like with the first. The bleeding is definitely not like her normal period - much lighter and brownish.

TimeIsACurrency Sun 14-Apr-13 20:25:39

Yeah she's right morning is best, and also I had several negative test results when actually I was pregnant, was just early days.

Has she tried calling NHS Direct for some advice if she's concerned? They're usually great. Hope she (and you) are ok.

firesidechat Sun 14-Apr-13 20:38:06

I'm fine, but I do feel for my daughter. I can remember so clearly what it's like, analysing every symptom and veering between "yes I am" and "I'm probably not". Agonising really.

TimeIsACurrency Sun 14-Apr-13 20:47:16

It's always worth getting a medical opinion if she has any concerns about it. Either way I hope it's good news for her when she does find out for certain what's going on.

BuggedByJake Sun 14-Apr-13 20:52:12

I had all the same symptoms apart from the diarrhoea when I was pregnant the first time. I remember the brown discharge & thought it was the start of my period...it never came.

honey86 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:54:55

my very first symptom was vivid dreams... then i got tingly boobs, then tiredness. sickness didnt start til 6/7 weeks. its possible.. just see what her bleed does x

RhinotheHamster Sun 14-Apr-13 20:56:58

Diarrhoea was my first symptom both pregnancies. I get that instead of morning sickness. On and off for a few weeks.

YoniOrNotYoni Sun 14-Apr-13 20:57:34

If she's got a test she should just do it surely? Then if it's positive she can get all excited (if that's what she wants) and if it's negative then she can think 'hopefully it's wrong, I'll test again in a few days' and/or 'oh well, maybe next month'

TimeIsACurrency Sun 14-Apr-13 21:01:00

ah I've just realised from YoniOrNotYoni's post that she has tests 'ready' not 'already'. Just try one tonight maybe? Keep the others for the morning? Also, bloody hell she has self control not to have taken one already! shock

MightBeMad Sun 14-Apr-13 21:50:04

Light, brownish bleeding was my first symptom of pregnancy. I also waited and tested the next morning and it was (very faintly) positive. Diarrhoea is a common early pg symptom too (just people find it less acceptable to talk about than morning sickness!). The only way to tell is to test but to me it sounds very possible.

Fwiw, I have read bleeding with an ectopic is often very dark - like prune juice - and often accompanied by pain and feeling very unwell and pain in the tip of the shoulder, ESP when lying down. I wouldn't automatically assume ectopic from what you describe, I'm fact, for me, it would be totally normal early pg symptoms, but if she is at all worried, she shouldn't hesitate to seek medical advice.

firesidechat Sun 14-Apr-13 21:54:45

Thanks so much.

I'm amazed she hasn't taken test yet, but the morning will be better. She hasn't mentioned morning sickness but I didn't have any with either pregnancy. Trying very hard not to get too excited!

MightBeMad Mon 15-Apr-13 08:22:14

Fireside, we are all waiting with baited breath for the outcome this morning!!

Bejeena Mon 15-Apr-13 09:36:20

A lightish brown discharge about the time when my period would have been due was also my first system. By some sort of miracle though I mananged to put it to the back of my mind and forget about it for two weeks and then took a test. It was easy for me though as we were travelling in Australia at the time so plenty of things to help me forget about it. Then two weeks later a positive test.

If she can try and put it to the back of her mind for a week or so and then do a test then that would be best solution, but if not there are early predictor tests in the chemists. A couple of women I know said they found out the moment they conceived.

firesidechat Mon 15-Apr-13 10:36:29

Negative result, but may just be too early.

Will update when we know for certain. Thanks for all the help.

MightBeMad Mon 15-Apr-13 10:41:33

As you say, may be just too early. Fingers crossed for the result she wants x

Alexandra6 Mon 15-Apr-13 13:53:02

Hi, I'm another who had brown spotting/discharge and it was implantation spotting for me, am now 7 weeks. I found clear blue digital the best test, first response also worked early but just a faint line, some other tests didn't pick up until days later. Also, I THINK ectopic related probs don't happen until later, so hope it isn't anything to do with that.

Good luck to her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now