Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Tested positive for group B strep... Sad and worried

(16 Posts)
Guntie Sun 14-Apr-13 17:06:54

Just that really.

I had been planning for a home birth and am allergic to all sorts of antibiotics and have just found out I am positive for group b strep.

I just read the statistics about all the added risks and complications for baby and I am so upset and worried for them.

Can anyone share their experiences with me?

lljkk Sun 14-Apr-13 17:19:42

Sorry you're feeling stressed.

Only a tiny percentage of women who are GBS+ have newborns with any problems, and virtually all of those have some other risk factor. Like waters breaking long before the birth or prematurity. I don't want to pretend it's nothing but it's also fairly low risk, in the panoply of all risks that all PG women run. So try not to worry.

lljkk Sun 14-Apr-13 17:20:33

ps: can you sort out which antiBs are effective & safe for you long before the baby is born?

Guntie Sun 14-Apr-13 17:44:17

lljkk thank you for your kind words. I am not sure about the antibiotics.. I am allergic to most of them but will go to the doctor to try and work out a plan as to what I can take when baby comes.

Troubleintmill Sun 14-Apr-13 17:55:51

I had strep b when pg. I am allergic to penicillin-though this is from a childhood reaction but always state to be on the safe side.
My waters went after an examination on labour ward so was put on an IV drip. I was pretty bed bound but also as it was my first labour and I'd been at home for about 6hrs with strong contractions I asked for an epidural so obv was less mobile due to that.
I was given good care by the initial midwife and obviously my DS was checked when he was born and we stayed in(4nights in the end due to other stuff) but he is fine and I am glad I went with the IV even though it was restricting.
I'm sure you can be given something so best to discuss with GP/midwife. Also if you don't have IV the baby can be given antibiotics when born to protect them. Not the nicest option but might be best as you are allergic to lots of stuff.
Sure things will work out. Good luck.

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 14-Apr-13 18:05:16

Please don't assume this will have a completely negative effect on your pregnancy.

I tested positive both times and had lovely pregnancies and labours.

Every PCT has a different policy with regards to what will happen in your labour. Sometimes even different hospitals - so check with your MW.

You don't HAVE to have antibiotics though.

ShangriLaLaLa Sun 14-Apr-13 18:11:44

I was diagnosed with Group B strep, results came through day after DS was born! massive hormonal panic on my part. My waters had gone in the pushing stage of labour, which only lasted 15 minutes, so they were vigilant but not overly concerned and DS was given precautionary antibiotics and monitored but was absolutely fine.

I think the greatest problems occur when GBS remains undiagnosed. You have time to plan, so with effective anti-natal care all should be fine. It's not what you would choose and it's not ideal but this is manageable. It felt like the end of the world when I was told on DS's 2nd day, but he's 3 now and I hadn't thought about it in ages, your post just took me back to 'that place'.

All the best for straightforward delivery and early home!

SilveryMoon Sun 14-Apr-13 18:23:37

I tested positive for GBS when I was pregnant with ds2.
Like you, I went into a big stage of panic and worry. I went straight to the midwife to make a plan and was passed on to the consultant. They were lovely and very understanding of my worries.
I tried to read up on it, but couldn't. I made my dad research it and he tried to calm me with what he'd found.
My main concern was that I had and still have no idea at all as to when my waters broke with ds1.
I went into hospital with horrid pains with ds1 to be told I wasn't in labour but they'd keep me in as I wasn't coping. I lost the plug during the night, contractions were awful (ds1 was back to back) and after I'd been pushing for nearly 2 hours, they did an internal and asked me when my waters broke. No idea at all.
So, I was worried the same would happen again, the waters would go and I wouldn't notice.
I told the consultant that I wanted to be induced so the labour and birth could be as controlled as possible right from the start (not everybody's bag, I know) and he agreed.
I went in 2 weeks later to be induced. They gave me 4 doses of anti-b's through an IV. Took a long time for labour to start, had lots of pesseri's (sp?) and ARM attempts, but just over 13 hours after they started, ds2 arrived. They did a skin swab of him which I never got the results for.
We stayed in hospital for 72 hours after delivery and he was on 4 hourly observations but was absolutely fine. His heart rate was normal, his temperature was normal, his breathing normal.

It's a good thing you know. I think the risks set in when you don't know.
And there is also a chance that you won't have the infection at time of delivery too.

MikeLitoris Sun 14-Apr-13 18:36:08

First of all you need to know what the current guidlines are in your area.

I had it with dd1 and had the whole monitoring and anti b drip scenario. Wasnt ideal but still a lovely straight forward birth. 24 hours in hospital being monitored.

Had it again with with dd2 and the hospital had changed the way they deal with it.

I had an amazing water birth, no drip or extra monitoring. We did stay in 48 hours but the extra 24 was for a feeding issue. No anti bs that time.

Dont rule out having a good birth just because of this.

BucketsnSpades Sun 14-Apr-13 18:37:40

I tested positive in my second pregnancy, I had a planned csection (for other complications) and was just given an antibiotic injection during the op, I was told not to Google it because I'd only scare myself and that the biggest risks were when it had not been picked up during the pregnancy. Nothing happened and my DD is eight months old now.

LovelyChubbly Mon 15-Apr-13 10:07:05

Finding out you carry GBS clearly has been a shock, which isn't surprising as there aren't any symptoms so why would you know? Having said that, knowing you carry GBS is much better than carrying it and not knowing - knowing means that you and your health professionals are and will be on the alert and can take steps to minimise the risk of GBS infection in your baby.

There's loads of information on the Group B Strep Support website, particularly here though also on the FAQ page.

As others have said, the risk of GBS infection in your baby now that you and your health professionals know you're carrying it are very small - they're relatively small anyway, but with knowledge comes the opportunity to take preventative action and be especially alert.

Good luck - do keep us posted smile

Guntie Tue 16-Apr-13 09:55:40

Thank you everyone for your posts. I called the midwife yesterday and explained that I would like an appointment to discuss my options with someone. After much pushing I have a consultant appointment next week where hopefully we might be able to come up with a plan given my allergies sad

By the sounds of it all hospitals have different guidelines don't they? I wonder if I will have any say over my treatment.

I am scared this will mean I will not be able to have a natural birth and will be confined to a bed, with IV and probably be put on syntocin...

bunchofposy Tue 16-Apr-13 10:04:29

Hi there, I had this with my first pregnancy, and was similarly worried and anxious like you. Mainly I felt upset that it would mean that I would be confined to a bed, on a drip etc and that my choices would be taken away. I confided in my midwife and she was brilliant and reassuring. Talking to her and your doctor about your concerns is the best thing you can do so that you can work out what is best for you. You just don't know how your labour will turn out, and being monitored doesn't necessarily mean intervention. Me and my baby didn't end up having antibiotics, we were monitored for 24 hours after the birth instead.

PalomaBlanca Wed 15-May-13 18:35:10

I just found out I have this too, it showed up as part of the routine tests they do here (am in Madrid). My doctor said was nothing to worry about and just meant that I had to have antibiotics once my waters broke (and as I am fine with antibiotics haven't been overly concerned about this). However, went into a complete tailspin of questions which only occurred to me after the appointment - are you supposed to go straight to hospital as soon as your waters break if you have this? (the ante-natal class stuff here says to hold on until you are having regular contractions every 5 mins etc....), what if your waters break very late etc (gather the antibiotics are supposed to be at least 4 hours before?). Anyway, trying not to let it wind me up until I have my next check up next week and can then ask all these questions. I also found the Strep B support site and NHS sites quite informative, a lot bet than any equivalent Spanish sites I could find.

SneezySnatcher Wed 15-May-13 18:48:57

I tested positive for GBS in this pregnancy, although I didn't get the results until five days after DS was born!!! Luckily DS had been given antibiotics for another reason (PPROM) so nothing else needed to be done. Even though my waters had gone 30 hours before he was born, he was fine and all his obs were great.

The hospital told me that most people don't know they carry it and their babies are fine. If I ever have another child I need to let MW know and will need antibiotics in labour. If you don't manage the antibiotics in labour, the baby will need some when born.

I would see it as a blessing that you know, as your DC will get the appropriate treatment and you will know to be vigilant. There is a tiny, tiny risk of anything bad happening and this is even smaller when HCPs know and can treat you accordingly.

festive Wed 15-May-13 20:11:44

Hi, I tested positive in my first pregnancy. I'm allergic to penicillin and they just gave me something g else, am sure once you have met with the consultant they will work out a plan for you.
Also, you have the antibiotics every 4 hrs (depending how long your labour lasts) and it only takes about 10 mins for them to run through the drip so the rest of the time you can be up and about and mobile etc - not confined to the bed!
I was unlucky and my DC did still get an infection despite the antibiotics ( but this is very rare i am told, and i had long labour, and he spent a long time in the birth canal).
The good thing is that because everyone was aware i was GBS pos the drs picked up on it at just a few hrs old and DC was started on antibiotics immediately. We were in hospital for two weeks, while DC completed his course of antibiotics and he is now nearly 2 and absolutely fine. I dread to think what might have happened if we hadn't been aware as we would probably have just gone home and he would have become sick very quickly.
Am now 40+5 with DC2 and will be having antibiotics again during labour and DC2 will have to have 36 hrs of antibiotics too when they are born as a precaution because of the experience of his / her big brother.
Am not worried at all, I feel very reassured having the knowledge and also tha the consultants have a proper plan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: