Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much have you spent on maternity clothes?

(33 Posts)
NewChoos Sun 14-Apr-13 17:02:41

3 months to go, but feel need some more clothes (have been rotating dresses), so just ordered some jeans and 2x tops form Boden and a dress from Seraphine.
Waste of money or I can wear them post?
I have been very frugal so far and mainly used clothes from 1st pregnancy. Think I have only spent around £100. Probably spent £400 when pregnant with DC1.

Shellywelly1973 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:36:34

With my first 2 dc i didn't spend to much but 3,4&5 i was terrible &bought way more then i needed!

I never wanted to wear maternity clothes after pregnancy as i return to normal pretty quickly so they made me feel scruffy & look even worse then i felt!

Queazy Sun 14-Apr-13 19:34:06

I bought most bits on ebay, probably spending about £100, but just bought another dress for £40. I figure I'll wear them again if I have another baby. Can you do a clothes swap with anyone? Secretsales had seraphine maternity on over the weekend by the way - that's where I bought the new dress! Sorry, I sound so tight-fisted grin

Fmshields Sun 14-Apr-13 19:55:48

Where is good to get maternity wear? I hate buying clothes online as I can't try them on first but I can't find any shops that actually have maternity wear on the high st. Matalan said it wasn't popular enough! Also, I have 2 family weddings in the summer, no idea where to look! I'm only 13 weeks so no bump yet! Thanks in advance!

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Sun 14-Apr-13 20:27:10

I've bought lots of eBay and some in the Next sale so maybe £100 which is excessive when you consider it's my second and my friend lent me all her clothes.

The only place in my town where you can try on is H&M, everywhere else just sells online. Next is okay, I like H&M and apart from that I've bought off eBay. I limit myself with what I'll spend so if I don't like it I'll just sell it on again. Asos has some lovely stuff and a good variety.

looneytune Sun 14-Apr-13 20:27:15

I'm 32 weeks and bought 1 pair of trousers which I think were £10 from Matalan, that's it! This was an unplanned pregnancy but luckily I had 1 of my bags of maternity clothes from ds2 (around 5 years ago) which I'd got in the loft to sell. I've been very lucky to have a friend lend me all her maternity clothes and I managed to get a tankini from Freecycle but I've not been able to buy anything else as we're skint (both now out of work). Even when I was working the first time round (over 10 years ago) I didn't spend much, managed to get quite a lot from ebay back then.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Sun 14-Apr-13 20:28:55

I never wanted to wear maternity stuff after in case it made me look like I was still pregnant. That's why I don't understand how things are maternity and breastfeeding wear. If I've worn it pregnant it's not going to be flattering after.

MintyyAeroEgg Sun 14-Apr-13 20:34:52

In late pregnancy I rotated two pairs of maternity trousers and a soft jersey maternity dress, and about 6 or 7 maternity t-shirts/long-sleeved tops. I had about 4 or 5 pairs of maternity tights. I carried on wearing my normal cardigans and jackets but didn't do them up. I didn't have to buy uber smart work stuff (like suits) but I did have to look quite presentable for work.

In earlier pregnancy I just wore stretchier clothes and bought a few things that were a size larger than my usual.

midori1999 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:44:51

So far this time about £50 in the Isabella Oliver sale and buying an IO top on Ebay. I have all my maternity clothes from DD, who is only 22 months still though. I will probably buy a pair is skinny maternity jeans and a couple of casual t-shirts/tops and then a dress for something I have to attend in the summer and then that'll be it. I'm only 14 weeks at the moment, but as this is my 7th baby I've got quite a bump already, so I'll get good use out of everything.

I love being pregnant and always feel so much better in clothes/more attractive when pregnant and I've probably got more maternity clothes than ordinary clothes... grin

chocolatesolveseverything Sun 14-Apr-13 21:09:47

So far I've spent about £250 I guess - maybe a bit less. It's mostly been on essential items like jeans and work trousers. I'm petite so limited in options for those.

Hoping to get any other items I want from ebay so I can spend further spare cash on cute baby things smile.

elQuintoConyo Sun 14-Apr-13 21:47:54

I spent about 100quid in H&M and Primark. I got two paurs of trousers, 1pr jeans, couple of 'maternity' tops/t-shirts and the rest were just stretchy things. I did find a fabulous floor-length strapless dress in Primark for the summer which cost me 4quid, I wore it to death and looked fantastic <boast... but I DID!>
Also, like a pp, I wore my normal cardis un-buttoned.
I couldn't afford to go nuts on clothes and 90% of our baby stuff is Ikea. The maternity clothes boutiques were ridiculously expensive imho, 80quid for white capri pants I'll wear for 5 months? Not for me.

LouiseD29 Sun 14-Apr-13 21:52:37

So far I've bought two elasticated maxi-skirts from New Look for 15 quid each! Am five months so far, so hoping these will last a while. Haven't found any longer length maternity trousers (am v tall) so trying to make do as much as poss.

andadietcoke Sun 14-Apr-13 21:55:36

Maybe £150. All from Next and New Look. Went on holiday last week so had to get summer stuff early, and don't think I need anything else now, apart from maybe a nice dress from Seraphine or IO.

80QuidYoniJob Sun 14-Apr-13 22:00:45

Wow really surprised at how much people have spent on maternity clothes! I just wore my normal clothes all the way through my first pregnancy. Doing the same thing now with DC2 at 27 weeks. Obviously there are some things I can't wear but most of mystuff still fits. I brought a few new tops recently but they are my normal size and not specifically maternity tops.

Sunnysummer Sun 14-Apr-13 22:22:57

Thought I had been quite careful, but definitely feel like a failed bargain hunter now! How did you all stick to £100 while still getting things from Seraphine and IO - even on eBay i found their stuff went for quite a bit!?!

Over £200 all up, spent gradually while I grew - a couple of new maternity bras from hotmilk via eBay. a couple of dresses from IO and Seraphine (new but on sale) for work, a second hand Tiffany Rose dress for weddings/parties, a few new tops and tights from H&M, larger (but not maternity) lululemon workout stuff from eBay plus a new pair of Seraphine jeans.

Fairly happy, as I work in a corporate place and my existing skirt suits weren't very forgiving of a growing belly, plus the quality means it's all still in good enough shape if we are lucky enough for a DC2 smile

ButteryJam Sun 14-Apr-13 22:34:22

Probably around a £100, mainly due to the two bravado maternity bras which were pricey!

weeblueberry Sun 14-Apr-13 23:03:29

If we're including having to get fitted for new bras (which I have....twice) mine is probably between £400-450. There's no way I could wear any of the bottoms I wore prepregnancy because I find anything under the bump very uncomfortable. So I've had two pairs of jeans, two pairs of work trousers, about 8 tops, 3-4 dresses and a maternity winter coat (which was definitely needed). Mixture of things from Mothercare, Mamas and Papas and Jojo Maman Bebe. Most were from the sale at each of them though. smile

CareerGirl01 Mon 15-Apr-13 09:58:40

With DD1 - bought £500 worth of IO including a coat! Not to mention £200 on Seraphind stuff and odd bit from New Look and Top Shop. That was five years ago and my pregnancy spanned summer and winter, and I had a very high powered job. Sold most of it on eBay.
This time £100. Two tops in jojomamanbebe,, denim leggings and IO jeans bought for £20 on eBay and TopShop Baxter maternity for after bub arrives( they are not great for late pregnancy) - also bought on eBay.
But am working from home this time round.

DaveMccave Mon 15-Apr-13 11:04:10

Black skinnies h&m 16.00
Denim jeans h&m 30 ish pound
Grey skinnies in h&m sale 7.00
Top in h&m sale 5.00

That's it I might get another pair of the black skinnies as I wear them most days. I own lots of long jersey tops/dresses from h&m already, which I wear my normal tops over. Might need cooler stuff soon.

DaveMccave Mon 15-Apr-13 11:05:44

Oh, I've bought 3 larger size but not maternity hoodies too as mine wouldn't do up. Will prob be 100 in total I've spent.

Bejeena Mon 15-Apr-13 11:06:45

200€ on clothes which has included one new pair jeans, one new shorts, some bits on sale in Mama's & Papas 2 for £10, a few things on sale in Mothercare and a Welsh Baby on Board T shirt (couldn't resist), a few things on ebay and also including 2 breast feeding bras (busted out of all my old bras)

With that I think I am pretty sorted apart from a sports bra which I am not sure what to do as have large chest normally and can only wear shock absorbers for running but don't want to invest so much on one will only wear for a short time.

rrreow Mon 15-Apr-13 13:42:02

I spent about £30-40 in my second trimester at New Look, and then £70 a couple of weeks ago at H&M. This is my second pregnancy though so I still had some stuff from last time around. This time I am much more in need of maternity clothes though as it's been colder (summery stuff tends to stretch more, so not so much need for maternity versions).

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 15-Apr-13 15:16:33

I don't know how much I spent last time blush. I have a pair of jeans, a pair of jersey trousers, a pair of leggings all from h&m. Also 2-3 woollen jerseys, 4-5 t-shirt tops and a cardigan from gap. Also a couple of tunics from new look. I guess that would be £200?

I don't get the thing about buying normal clothes one or two size bigger. That's just maternity clothes isn't it? I wouldn't wear any of them post birth.

Monka Mon 15-Apr-13 15:46:52

I have spent about £250. Bought some clothes from Next in the Xmas sales which were mainly chiffon type tops as I am due in August. I got some nice skinny jeans from the red herring maternity collection available at majority of Debenhams stores as well as some t-shirts and a pretty red dress which I can also wear to work. I got a great pair of black trousers from the gap maternity range (available in Oxford st) which were in the sales from £12 and a pretty gingham shirt. I have also got some old normal sized wrap dresses from boden which i also intend to wear with maternity vests and leggings underneath. I bought some cheap tapered joggers and tshirts from primark in the next size up from my pre-maternity clothes which I wear around the house. I was lucky that I could still wear my normal work clothes until 21 weeks but now wear maternity or larger sizes because they are more comfortable.

GiveMeVegemite Mon 15-Apr-13 19:46:24

Probably about £700, but I am a shopaholic and love any excuse to buy new things. I tried to buy things that I can wear again after the baby. I am now on pregnancy number 2 and can still wear a fair bit of the stuff, but I was heavily pregnant last winter and will be pregnant in summer this time, so will probably spend another £400 or so....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now