Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

silly first time mum questions

(14 Posts)
Megsie99 Sun 14-Apr-13 16:00:54

Please dont laugh at me.starting to think i just havent got a clue.

Bedding (sheets and blankets ect) if baby hasnt leaked/poo'd/sicked up on them and they look clean.. how often do you wash them? Every few days like with normal bedding or would you do every day?

If breast feeding and you express milk and put it jn the fridge do you then reheat it like you would with formula?

How do you deal with visitors in the first few weeks (esp ones with kiddies that run wild)?

Do i really need a baby bath?

I know i sound thick but im just overthinking everything at the moment. Any advice is much appreciated!

80QuidYoniJob Sun 14-Apr-13 16:05:23

I only washed bedding once a week if DD hadnt been sick on it. Just wash them however often you'd wash your own sheets.

You don't need a baby bath. You can get a bath support to go into the big bath or you can just use a washing up bowl. I did buy a baby bath and liked it but it's up to you really. If you have a small bathroom/lack of storage space, there's probably no point.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 14-Apr-13 16:09:39

I wash bedding however often ours is washed - which for me is weekly in the summer and a bit less in the winter. But often it was because it had been sicked/snotted/slobbered on.

Reheat expressed milk by popping the bottle in a mug of hot water. Shake well and test on your hand.

Visitors - politiely say no if you don't want them. If that's not possible, be in your pjs. After a while, offer to meet in cafes, then the children will have to be controlled!

No to baby baths. I had a great seat that went in our bath and made life easier, but a washing up bowl in teh kitchen sink also works well for a budget and saves your back!

HTH

ilovepicnmix Sun 14-Apr-13 16:10:02

Hi there! I have a 9 month old so all new to me too. I change his bedding every week now but found I had to change more frequently when he was wee as he did little socks then. Nice. Yes you reheat breast milk like formula. I did it in the microwave although you're not officially suppose to. We had a baby barh given to us and did use it but you can manage fine without one. Visitors - I thought id be totally up for visitors but I wasn't as was very anxious/teary for weeks! I endured family and hid from friends. My friends understood as I was one of the last to have a baby. You might be fine with visitors but I just wouldnt make any promises to anyone.

80QuidYoniJob Sun 14-Apr-13 16:10:04

Sorry on my phone so couldn't remember all the questions grin

Don't heat up breastmilk in the microwave. It will kill off all the antibodies! Heat it up with a bottle warmer or in jug of hot water.

With visitors you just have to be blunt. Especially to those who donttake the hint! Be firm with them before thy come that the visit will only be lasting half an hour because you are tired and need rest. Or get your DP to say it if you have one. Take up offers of help!

Good luck smile

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 14-Apr-13 16:10:50

p.s. You should avoid re-heating formula where possible - but read up on the guidelines for making it in advance and safely re-heating if you need to. Breast milk can actually be handled far less carefully in terms of time at room temp, how long it can be left for, etc, than formula.

ilovepicnmix Sun 14-Apr-13 16:11:21

Sicks not socks!

Fairypants Sun 14-Apr-13 16:18:45

I'd say once a week for bedding and I put a muslin under their heads which can be changed for little sicks.
I didn't bother with a baby bath- had her in with me which was easier and nicersmile
If poss, try to time first visits when your dp is home so you can claim tiredness and go to bed as a subtle hint!!

coffeeandcream Sun 14-Apr-13 16:18:46

I am a first time mum, DS is nearly 17 weeks.

We use a sleeping bag for him and change every other day or sooner if sodding nappy leaks.

Don't bother with a baby bath, we have an 'aqua bambino' from Mamas and Papas which is great for using in the proper bath.

As an extra tip, I suggest you stock up on Muslins - very handy for sick, dribble, light blanket, emergency nappy, all sorts really.

atrcts Sun 14-Apr-13 17:31:51

Please dont laugh at me.starting to think i just havent got a clue. No one is born knowing and we all learn from experience, advice, or reading on the subject (just like you are doing!).

Bedding (sheets and blankets ect) if baby hasnt leaked/poo'd/sicked up on them and they look clean.. how often do you wash them? Every few days like with normal bedding or would you do every day? If they sheets aren't soiled then I agree with everyone else - weekly just like you'd do for yourself. However they are likely to dribble/sick so muslins are great for catch it and save the sheets. That way you can change it as often as needed without noticing the washing piling up quite the same way as changing the whole bed.

If breast feeding and you express milk and put it jn the fridge do you then reheat it like you would with formula? Refrigerated breast milk needs to be warmed in either a bottle warmer (unnecessary purchase!) or warm water in a bowl. Only warm it once though or you'll attract too much bacteria, and discard any leftovers when the feed is finished.

How do you deal with visitors in the first few weeks (esp ones with kiddies that run wild)? YOU have to call the shots, don't expect people to just know what you need, they won't. Be honest enough to say you're not up to visitors yet if that's how you feel. When you ARE ready for visitors, its fair to say adults only if you want to, or maybe restrict the time of visiting. I asked people to just pop in for half an hour to start with. I also asked everyone to phone first as I might be in bed asleep!

Do i really need a baby bath? It depends on whether you have a bad back. If you do, a bath that sits on the rim of your own bath saves you stooping over and has a plug at the bottom so no need for lifting. A bath seat is a great alternative but of course you need to run a bit more water. Or you could just buy a new sink bowl and use that, although I would suggest it might be a bit of a tight fit as the baby grows!

I know i sound thick but im just overthinking everything at the moment. Any advice is much appreciated!

I would suggest you read this thread – it’s really informative!
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/1722266-Eeeek-first-time-mum-needing-help

Fakebook Sun 14-Apr-13 17:48:55

Re: the breast milk. I'm pretty sure you can leave breast milk out at room temperature for upto 10 hours and you should avoid refrigerating it. I remember the midwife telling me this at hospital when I was expressing. I'd check with your midwife to be sure though. I'm not sure about how to defrost frozen breast milk but I assume you'd just let it thaw out at room temp too.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 14-Apr-13 18:09:44

You can freeze breast milk for up to 3 months (remember to label with date) I always froze in bm freezer bags, defrosted in a bowl of warm water or ran under a warm (not hot) tap.
I think you can refrigerate breast milk for 3-5 days, as long as it's in the main part of the fridge and not in the door.

If you shake breast milk it can break up the chains of amino acids that are one of the things that make breast milk so digestible. so put bottle in a jug of warm water and swirl the milk gently.

barbben Sun 14-Apr-13 18:22:58

let's start smile
1. i think you change it like regular sheets
2. as far as i know you dont heat breast milk, you just leave it out until its in room Temperature
3. if you don't feel comfortable the just don;t have visitors
4. in my opinion - no, you don't need a daily bath, the baby is not sweating.
hope i helped smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now