Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

consultant appointment at 21 weeks, no one can tell me why, any ideas?

(13 Posts)
cakebaby Sun 14-Apr-13 13:32:04

Hello ladies, I wasn't going to post about this but curiosity (worry) has got the better of me. After my 12 week scan I received a bland appt letter to see a consultant. I have queried it with my midwife, the consultants office & antenatal unit at the hospital but no one can tell me why I've been summoned. They also say I don't have to go, but of course, I will, just curious what is likely to happen. My appt is coming up this week.

My bmi is fine, as is blood pressure, blood chemistry etc, scans have been fine as far as I know, low risk DS. This is my 1st child, I'll be 40 at edd, but no-one seemed to think this was an indication given everything else seems fine. One of them did mention early induction in some cases (not keen thanks). Any experiences or ideas?

MintVelvet1937 Sun 14-Apr-13 13:34:09

none. But why would you look a gift horse in the mouth?

cakebaby Sun 14-Apr-13 13:46:34

Why would it be a gift horse?! Midwife led care is as appropriate as consultant led in a normal pregnancy, right? Or that's what we are told anyway.

I'm not offended by it, just looking for an insight, if anyone has one, into what might happen or be discussed.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 14-Apr-13 13:49:08

Tbh I think it's box-ticking age thing. Consultant led care is fantastic, have the best of the best. smile

littleducks Sun 14-Apr-13 13:50:14

Sounds odd, might possibly be a mistake I suppose?

Have you had previous gynae surgery? I had and one PCT thought this made me a higher risk (not high enough for consultant care though) but I switched to another PCT who didn't think it mattered a jot.

chickensaladagain Sun 14-Apr-13 13:56:10

I got a consultant appt because my bmi was high

I got there, consultant walked in, asked me why I was there, I said no idea and he went off muttering about stupid charts, I obviously wasn't over weight I loved that man and did no one have any common sense

Promptly sent back to midwife led care

I'm sure it will be something or other minor
In some areas all women over 36 see a consultant as routine so maybe an age thing

Ezza1 Sun 14-Apr-13 13:58:50

I would have thought it was age related, but very strange for you not to have been fully informed.

Sometimes it does seem that if you dont ask the questions you dont know the answers which is bloody difficult seeing as not everyone knows what questions to ask and when. If that makes sense confused

Anyway, I am pregnant with DC4 and have been put under consultant care with each one initially at the midwife booking appt but get signed off to midwife led care after first meeting with consultant.

Guntie Sun 14-Apr-13 14:01:32

I think it is a routine age thing to be honest. I would just try to make the most of it if you can!

cakebaby Sun 14-Apr-13 14:33:16

Thanks ladies, I think the age tick box could be the answer. To be fair the appts I've had so far have been brief & not very informative, no one seems very interested really! Maybe this time I'll see an HCP who looks slightly less bored and has some answers to the questions I'll come up with between now & then!

iseenodust Sun 14-Apr-13 14:42:40

You're old ! grin This happened to me when pregnant at 38. Community midwife didn't know why I'd received appointment either so rang hospital for me and it was just the way that consultant liked to work.

I too would view it as a gift because you might get answers as you say and because at 40 as a GP friend of mine puts it "everything will have fused together down there". Be informed and be informed from the slant of being 40. Good luck.

Mutley77 Sun 14-Apr-13 14:52:28

I agree with the other posters - Consultant led care is fab. I had it for my second (previous C/S) and had a personal relationship with the consultant who I saw regularly and even got hold of by phone when I needed her. All absolutely free on the NHS - make the most of it.

Although unless you specifically request it you will probably see a registrar in clinic initially (then referred to consultant with anything more complex) - which I did find a waste of time as they were less knowledgeable/helpful than a midwife.

cakebaby Sun 14-Apr-13 14:58:25

Nooooo, I'm not old, my birth cert is wrong! Fused together?! shock hope not!

Springforward Sun 14-Apr-13 21:24:25

Fused together? (Am knocking 40....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now