Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Upper back pain

(11 Posts)
Blankiefan Sun 14-Apr-13 08:51:59

Hi there. I'm 10+3 and have been getting occasional back pain (mid upper back - just beneath where you're bra strap would be). It's worse if I've spent the day vegging around in the sofa (I know - don't do that then!)

It's particularly bad at night and almost impossible to get comfortable so my sleep is then really disturbed. I've tried all combos of pillows under my head /knees / propping me in various places.

I have big boobs (I don't think they've started to grow yet - they've just always been big - 36KK) so I don't know if this is part of the reason. I've never hand back pain before (this will be DC1).

(also, we got a new super duper mattress with a gazzillion coils (or whatever) a few months ago so I don't think it's the bed.

Any thoughts?

fanjodisfunction Sun 14-Apr-13 08:55:41

I get alsorts of back niggles and just put it down to the ribcage exbanding a bit to let your organs move up to allow room for baby. If its very painful and annoying then go to GP and have a chat.

Blankiefan Sun 14-Apr-13 09:39:10

Thanks fan

MissLurkalot Sun 14-Apr-13 12:56:54

I don't know what it could be, but an Osteopath would. I am evangelical about mine.. He's completely fixed my back and got to the bottom of why it's been playing up.
I'm pregnant with no4, 35 weeks now, and I've seen him every six weeks, as I've wanted to. Once baby is here, I'll revert back to twice a year.
I wish I discovered him with my other pregnancies!

plummyjam Sun 14-Apr-13 13:13:35

I have had a similar pain for the past 12 months - really annoying niggly pain between shoulder blades. It started when just before I found out I was pregnant - DD is 8 weeks now - brought on by poor posture (desk job and long drive to and from work).

Saw physio who felt it was tightness of upper back and neck muscles. She did some trigger point release massage (brilliant as I had about a million muscle knots in my back) and gave me some exercises to do. Other things that helped were a shiatsu massage chair (draped over the back of an office chair) a tempur pillow and a memory foam mattress topper.

It didn't significantly improve until I had the baby and was able to start doing Pilates every day and take anti-inflammatories. Even then it's been a bit of a struggle because DD is heavy to lift and breastfeeding is not brill for the posture but it is getting better now.

I hope you can nip it in the bud now but would definitely recommend seeing a physio and getting it sorted smile

Blankiefan Sun 14-Apr-13 16:22:38

Thanks so much for the advice. I don't know if it's connected to my crappy sleep last night but ive had my worst morning sickness day so far. Have barely been able to keep anything down and retching with back pain is no fun! My MS is worst when I'm tired so I definitely need to get my back sorted...

MissLurkalot Sun 14-Apr-13 17:02:36

My osteo fixed my morning sickness so well, I was convinced I was carrying a girl this time round.
I was fine, no sickness with dd1 and dd2.. But was sick as a dog all pregnancy with ds1.
Couldn't believe it at the 20 week scan when she said it was another boy!

Springforward Sun 14-Apr-13 21:19:13

I had upper back pain with DS, treated by a physio. She felt it was because I was tending to be pulled forward by everything expanding and gave me lots of exercises aimed at strengthening my chest and upper back muscles. Helped me a lot.

Blankiefan Mon 15-Apr-13 19:49:58

Thanks again for all the advice. Work does a thing where they offer back apts for staff so I've been referred. Hopefully that'll nip it in the bud.

MissLurkalot Mon 15-Apr-13 19:58:23

That's good, hope you get things dorted

MissLurkalot Mon 15-Apr-13 19:58:46

Lol... Sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now