Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone tried the labour companion hypnosis CD?

(7 Posts)
ButteryJam Sun 14-Apr-13 07:04:49

Hi,

Has anyone tried the Maggie Howell The Labour Companion CD: for a Better Birth Experience (Natal Hypnotherapy CDs)? I'm wondering whether it is worth forking out £11.99? I'm already using the Birth Preparation CD (which puts me nicely to sleep smile).

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 14-Apr-13 07:41:44

Yep, labour wasn't exactly pain free, but it made sure I was calm throughout. Even when I was transferred by ambulance from rural MLU to Big Hosp, and no drugs needed despite 3rd degree tear.

Although the spinal after for repairs was heavenly!

I'd pay £12 again for it. Less than £1 per hour of labour!

TheNewShmoo Sun 14-Apr-13 15:50:27

I swear by this CD. Listened to it every night from 28 weeks. 2.5 hr labour- wasn't even sure I was really in labour till saw the show. Even managed to straightened my hair! Almost had the baby in the cab but made it to the hospital. No epidural, no stitches, no time to fill up the birthing pool, only really felt pain when transitioning, but felt more like that I needed to have a massive poo!

Just got a BFP and will definitely use this time.

ButteryJam Sun 14-Apr-13 16:36:53

TheNewShmoo Did you use the labour CD or the birth prep CD?

youmaycallmeSSP Sun 14-Apr-13 17:44:10

I used the birth companion CD. It was sort-of helpful but it was distracting having to keep re-starting the first track so I liked the music-only one better.

TheNewShmoo Sun 14-Apr-13 19:11:07

I bought the labour companion CD but never got to use it. I think as I fell asleep listening to the birth prep CD for so long my mind had it well 'rehearsed' (this is what successful athletes do right?). So when it came to the real thing it was as if my body knew what was happening, eliminating the fear which is the basis of the pain.

What clinched it for me was a chapter in 'Hypobirthing' by Marie Mongan, entitled 'How fear affects labour' which really changed my perception of labour- which I think is key (also really recommend 'Ina May's Guide to Childbirth'). No wishy washy mumbo jumbo, but a really 'scientific' explanation of how adrenaline affects the two opposing sets of muscles of the uterus. Once I understood this, in a really corny way I understood that the only thing to fear was the fear itself. This changed EVERYTHING for me, a real light bulb moment. It is well documented that pain is all about perception. Once you perceive the birthing experience differently, and stop watching 'One Born Every Minute' grin, birth becomes a wondrous and very spiritual experience.

I keep this story to myself as I get the feeling a lot of women don't really want to hear it. It's a shame this stuff is not taught in antenatal classes and labour is regarded as something awful that happens to us. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to my next birth. It's such an amazing experience that we only get to experience a few times, if we're lucky, in our lives. DD came out not crying at all, eyes wide open staring at us, skin to skin and started to feed in a few minutes. I love that her entry into the world was calm and gentle, and really treasure those first peaceful moments together. I understand this is not possible for all women but I do believe a lot of births are complicated with interventions that are not completely necessary.

ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 13:09:24

TheNewShmoo, thank you! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now