Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Moses Basket or Crib?

(39 Posts)
Girraferama Sat 13-Apr-13 19:35:03

As a first timer I'm not sure whether to go for a Moses basket or crib for the early days..

We are getting a cot bed for the nursery which is massive. Our bedroom doesn't have much space in it so whatever we get will be pretty small. I read somewhere that you should have baby in your bedroom for 6 months but. Know they are likely to grow out of a Moses basket by then..?

My sister's baby didn't sleep well in a Moses basket and she found a crib where they could see out the sides was better.

Had initially just assumed I'd get a Moses basket but now I'm not so sure.

Advice please!

badguider Sat 13-Apr-13 19:37:49

Great question! I can't help as pg with my first but I'm wondering this too. And if I get a crib for our room what do I do about daytime sleeps?

Thanks (and sorry to jump in)

issypiggle Sat 13-Apr-13 19:43:07

i got a moses basket and then dd didnt like it so ended up getting a cot. if you can find space i would say a cot

noblegiraffe Sat 13-Apr-13 19:44:39

Get a co-sleeper, they're bloody brilliant. I wish I'd had one for my first, all that getting them in and out of the basket just wakes them up.

YoniBraxton Sat 13-Apr-13 19:48:52

We have both (not helpful, sorry!). The crib was given to us for free though.

A Moses basket may only be used for a few weeks before your baby grows out if it, but very useful for daytime sleeps as you can move it around the house and keep your baby near you. A crib may last you the whole six months that your baby sleeps in your room. Dd1 slept in the crib next to me until 7 months.

If you have a pram with a carrycot, could you use the carrycot for daytime sleeps downstairs, and have a crib upstairs? It would save buying a Moses basket as well.

Beatrixpotty Sat 13-Apr-13 19:55:02

A moses basket will definitely not last you the 6 months until you can move the baby out of your room.Mine had outgrown it by about 10 weeks.Get something that fits by your bed for 6 months.

Rhubarb78 Sat 13-Apr-13 20:05:22

we had crib upstairs and used the pram carrycot downstairs

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 13-Apr-13 20:07:27

Both of mine stayed in their Moses baskets until going in their own room at 6 months but they were smallish babies, I've bought another one this time, they're handy to move about too.

NeatFreak Sat 13-Apr-13 20:09:12

We have both as expecting dc3. Neither dc1 or.2 slept in the Moses basket at all so this time we bought a crib to have in our room initially and will reuse the cot bed in the nursery. we were given a Moses basket, which we hope to use for daytime naps initially or even to try if/when baby refuses to sleep in the crib! Moses baskets are cheaper than cribs but don't last very long, especially if you have a bigger baby (my dc2 seemed squashed in his almost from birth)

MortifiedAdams Sat 13-Apr-13 20:11:19

I had a moses basket for two reasons (1) I live in a flat so would take the basket room to room, rather than needing a bed per floor and (2) we had a self catering holiday booked for when dc was six weeks old and needed to take the bed with us so couldnt do that with a crib.

DD was on her basket til at least 18wks. DN was i. hers til 7mo.

FattyMcChubster Sat 13-Apr-13 20:30:56

Dd was in her Moses for 6.5 months and she was not a small baby! Depends though, not all babies like them <not helpful>

Bibs123 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:31:03

I wish I had got a co-sleeper crib that attaches to your bed. My baby never really liked her moses basket and she pretty much slept in our bed for the 1st year which was lovely but a bit cramped for me and my partner. It would have been better for her to have her own space.

Excited85 Sat 13-Apr-13 22:10:37

Out of interest why is the baby meant to sleep in your room for the first 6 months? Not trying to be antagonistic just genuinely don't know a lot - we had friends that had the baby in room in moses basket till 10/12 weeks then moved into the nursery - is this wrong? Sorry to hijack!

OohShiny Sat 13-Apr-13 22:15:19

We use the Moses downstairs for daytime naps thn have a stokke mini crib for next to our bed.

Babies should be next to you at night and in the same room for daytime naps until 6 months as its thought to reduce SIDS as they hear you breathing and its supposed to help them regulate theirs.

Littlemissexpecting Sat 13-Apr-13 22:21:20

We have bought a crib. DC1 due in 9 wks. Going to use pram downstairs for naps but went for crib instead of Moses basket as like you we don't have room in our bedroom for the cotbed and friends have said a Moses basket doesn't last very long. We went for a crib from John Lewis they do a glider or rocker one and mattresses not very expensive so much better value

Excited85 Sat 13-Apr-13 22:30:16

Thanks shiny!

Wishiwasanheiress Sat 13-Apr-13 22:35:35

Moses baskets up to about 12 wks max. Baby grows out if it by about then which is 12lb. Make sure u get 2 stands. A rocker when first home to help transition from constant motion in u, to hospital, to static bed. Dd1 screamed solid for 3 days nights til realised why.

Yes. 6 mths in with u - protects against SIDS.

Cribs do 3mths -8mths approx. we had one first time round. It's become the Moses stand in lounge at present this time round fordd2.

Have moved dd2 from Moses to cot at night only now, 12wks, 12.5lb if helps. Get decent mattresses.

Congrats!!!!

Wishiwasanheiress Sat 13-Apr-13 22:38:45

The really good thing about Moses is it follows u about house. Eg

Wake up in bedroom
Move to bathroom, carry with u.
Move to kitchen for coffee carry with u
To lounge to watch TV
Phone goes, door rings can take with u
Hanging washing take with u
Doing dish washer take with u
Tidy bedroom take with u

Hard to picture til u get the real baby. Then it might suit u. Not everyone naturally.....

stargirl1701 Sat 13-Apr-13 22:39:03

I would say go for a co-sleeper. You can rent one from the NCT for £99 for the 6 months. We borrowed a Moses basket and a crib from friends. We ended up co-sleeping from 8 weeks grin

Bodicea Sat 13-Apr-13 22:59:55

Don't k ow how true this is but my friend says some babies always bash their hands on the hard sides of the crib and it startles them. But I am no expert nd pregnant with my first and having same dilemma. Is there any truth in theis?

I am also worried Moses might be a bit flimsy and our cat might be able to
Get into easily.

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 23:25:07

I would recommend buying a crib or a small cot (ikea do smaller ones). We bought a gorgeous Moses basket for my dd but she was so long that she literally couldn't fit in it by 9 weeks so we ended up moving her massive cot bed into our room until she was 7 months.

I am pregnant again and this time we are buying a small cot from ikea, total price with mattress is £100 but you can get slightly cheaper. They are a decent size but won't take up your bedroom and will be big enough for many months.

We used Moses basket initially for both. Ds lasted a few week and hated it! Dd lasted a bit longer but very big girl. We used travel cot after, with more expensive proper mattress. Also meant any overnights with gps since have been good as they were happy with bed. Takes up slightly less room than full cot as well and then not totally useless when they reach 6 months!

MrsDeVere Sat 13-Apr-13 23:52:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IdaClair Sun 14-Apr-13 00:04:05

Both mine went in Moses Basket until 6-7 months and then in cot, DD1 went back in hers a few times when back in with us when ill up to 12 months. Not huge babies but not tiny either, but long babies from birth. Not all Moses baskets are the same size! That's like saying all cots are. Some look like postage stamps, true, but some are a fine size.

Throughgrittedteeth Sun 14-Apr-13 01:31:00

We had a crib and used the pram down stairs. We only had a crib though because it was given to us. DS was a long baby though so I'm pleased we had it. He grew out of it at 5 months so we moved him into his cot in his room.
I wish we'd have got a co-sleeper though. Even if we'd rented it, I think it would have made bf a lot less tiring.
You can also get cot separators that make the cot small, which could be an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now