Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused!!

(9 Posts)
willoughboobs Sat 13-Apr-13 19:31:36

So around 4 weeks ago I went to the epu and was told that everything was perfect, I was about 5-6 weeks and the crl was 2.8mm and there was a heartbeat smile

Today iv had some mild spotting so went to a&e and mentioned this to the doctor and he said there should not be a heartbeat at that early on and with a baby so small. I know they could have got my dates wrong but why would the baby be so small with a heartbeat?
My dp seems to think that there could be another baby that they have missed and that's why it was measuring small.

I'm really confused by this now and so was the doctor and he can't get me a scan until Tuesday now hmm

Has anyone else measured small and had a heartbeat and the dates were right?

LadyMedea Sat 13-Apr-13 19:55:17

I rember from the another post that heartbeat starts around 5wks 4days so it could well have been picked u with a good sonographer.

2.8mm doesn't sound wrong for that time.. Bit surprised that they gave you a measurement, I'm a bit doubtful they could be that accurate.

Not sure wheat you mean by another baby. If it was a twin pregnancy it would have shown up as to embryos. At that stage I can't imagine they would be smaller because they are twins, plenty of room at that stage.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, unless the doctor you saw in a&e was an obstetrician he probably didn't know much about what he was talking about

Lj8893 Sat 13-Apr-13 20:05:35

Going on from what Lady said....

I went to a&e due to spotting at 6 weeks and the doctor said this.....

"To be honest, stay aways from doctors, we are rubbish and don't know anything when it comes to pregnancy!"

BabyHMummy Sat 13-Apr-13 23:40:10

I had a scan in epu at 6 week and there was a very strong heart beat so ur Dr is talking rubbish!

My dates turned out to be a week behind when i went for 12 week scan so guess at epu ibwas only 5 weeks

CandlestickOlder Sun 14-Apr-13 00:32:14

Yep I've had a heart beat at six weeks too!

SourSweets Sun 14-Apr-13 08:21:52

I also had a heartbeat at 6 weeks, plus some spotting and cramping which turned out to be nothing.

pinkmoonlight Sun 14-Apr-13 09:49:57

We saw the heartbeat at a scan when I was 6+2- my 12 week scan confirmed that the due date I worked out based on my cycles was correct. So it's definitely possible!

Saundy Sun 14-Apr-13 12:09:56

I saw a heartbeat at what I thought was 6 weeks. Splodge measured 2mm so I was told it was unlikely I was as far along as 6 weeks. Im now 10+2 & awaiting my dating scan but my dates must be right as I know when we ahem dtd lol.

It's a bit confusing but defo possible to see the heartbeat as we saw it ourselves & have a picture to prove it haha.

Pentagon Sun 14-Apr-13 13:19:53

I had an early scan and saw a good heartbeat about 5 weeks ago when I was 5w 6d or 6w 0d (the scan was abdominal rather than internal so the sonographer couldn't get accurate measurements). I had some brown spotting a few days later which didn't worry me massively as I had the same with my one successful pregnancy (I have also had two missed miscarriages with no bleeding or spotting whatsover). I had another early scan last week when I was 10w 5d and everything looked fine. I hope all goes well for you too will - good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now