Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nappies, wipes, formula (if ff).... How much did you stockpile before the baby was born?

(17 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Sat 13-Apr-13 17:45:18

Essentially, I know that I'll be able to get nappies, wipes, formula etc anytime by just popping out / sending DH, but I wanted to build up a bit of a stock of them before my baby is born in June...

Did others do this? How many packs of 'size 1' or 'size 2' nappies is too many? How much stuff have people got?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 13-Apr-13 18:16:39

No haven't done, but your post makes me think I should!

It does make sense to take advantage of offers etc. Will being going for Sains own brand nappies and wipes. And Aptamil milk. What you going for?

I am June too. We are having a loft conversion, so trying not to bring anything else into the house until it is finished.

Good luck with your nesting. smile

ThedementedPenguin Sat 13-Apr-13 18:20:58

I bought a lot of wipes.

However not all nappies suit all babies. I use asda little angels as pampers baby dry are useless for my ds.

Again not all formula will suit all babies, I'd wait until baby is here for both nappies and formula. Until then maybe buy a small pack of a couple of nappy brands.

HTH smile

TiredFeet Sat 13-Apr-13 18:24:39

I wouldn't buy too many nappies. Ds reacted awfully to pampers and huggies, but has got on fine with tesco own brand ones.

Sunshinewithshowers Sat 13-Apr-13 18:27:49

Im due next week & I have put 1 or 2 Items in with my weekly shop since September!

That includes nipple cream, sudocream, wipes, bibs, baby-grows 6-9 months, teething gel, nappies, & tommy tippee spoons, beakers & bowls, flannels, pads for me & cheap large knickers & nighties.

Its probably cost me £5-£8 a week more, but Its the only way I could do it.

MortifiedAdams Sat 13-Apr-13 18:27:52

My friend had about twenty boxes of wipes, each with at least 12 packs in.

I bought no milk or bottles as inted to BF but sent dh out for supplies after three days. Nappies - I bought two boxes of newborn and one of the next size up. Wipes, I bought three packs every time I saw them for £1 each in any shop I was in after BFP.

louschmoo Sat 13-Apr-13 18:30:41

2 packs size 1 nappies, 2 packs size 2 nappies and several packs of wipes. That is for DC2. For DC1 I had more nappies and no wipes as I used warm water and cotton wool (PFB couldn't have cold wipes on his sensitive bottom, poor old DC2 just has to lump it!). I would definitely say no more than 2 packs of size 1 as you don't know how big the baby will be or how fast it'l grow. DC2 was 6lb 10 and by day 12 had already shot up to 7lb 4. You don't want to use nappies which are on the small side as they leak more easily.

limetictacs Sat 13-Apr-13 18:30:49

I've got 3 packs of size 1 nappies (would've been two packs but I wanted a free changing bag from boots so ended up buying another). I'd recommend Pampers over other brands, they just seem softer. Also the size 1's go up to 11lbs so unless you're likely to have a big baby they will be in these for a while (also babies tend to lose weight after they are born so probably won't be at the max. weight for a while).

You won't need wipes straight away as it's recommended to use cotton wool and water, although if you plan on using wipes straight away I'd get a couple of packs and then just get extra with the weekly shop as you're unlikely to use more than that. You'll also use cotton wool for top and tailing so you could get a few packs (of the stuff you rip off not the balls as they just shrink up to nothing when wet).

I'd make sure you get a good few packs of maternity pads for yourself as you may not trust/or want DH or anyone else to get them once baby is born, and you will get through a lot during the first few weeks. I've bought the thick pads as they feel a bit more secure but I guess you could just get normal night-time sanitary towels. I think when it comes to these things it's always better to have an abundance than to run out.

You'll need a pack of breast pads even if you're formula feeding as your milk will still come through so you'll be a bit leaky for a while. I'd just get one pack if you're planning on formula feeding and then see how it goes as it can get expensive otherwise.

I can't give any advice about how much formula you'll need as I breastfed with DS and will do again this time. Hope that helped. Good luck!

queenofthepirates Sat 13-Apr-13 18:36:58

My friend suggested I buy wipes every time I saw them on special offer. By the time DD was born I had enough wipes to comfortably last the first 18 months and it's been a god send. Can't be too prepared when it comes to poop!

Thurlow Sat 13-Apr-13 18:37:35

Formula we just bought a about a dozen cartons of pre-made, and practiced the steriliser lots!

Ezza1 Sat 13-Apr-13 18:39:41

I joined loads of baby clubs with DC3 - Tesco, Boots, Mothercare, Sainsbury s to name but a few. The benefits included money off vouchers for various brands and some freebies and samples.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 13-Apr-13 18:40:54

I've set wipes up on amazon on subscribe and save but I have a ds I use them for too but not many now, I've been getting a few packs of nappies and have waited til sooner to due date so milk has a long use by date on.

For ds i bought 3 large packs of nappies, one small, 8 packs of wipes, 3 tubes of bepanthen (living room, bedroom, changing bag) and 4 big tubs of milk grin it wasn't all that long ago but i'll soon be stocking up the same for dd2!

forevergreek Sat 13-Apr-13 19:01:40

I wouldn't really as many nappies leak with different children/ give nappy rash more, or they react to wipes so need change in brand. Also could have a milk allergy etc... Sounds extreme and I suppose the likeliness of it isn't huge, but I would just get a few packs to say last the first month/ 6 week, and then decide what you need.

Maybe put the £5 a week you would have in a pot so you can use when you know. £50 in 10 weeks! Especially if buying to save money, it would be a waste to hae x5 cartons of milk for a baby who cant drink, or 20 packs of wipes that they react to.

MiaowTheCat Sat 13-Apr-13 21:32:33

It was wipes I stockpiled - a mix of brands whenever they were on a decent deal until we worked out with DD1 what we liked in a baby wipe and started to narrow down brands and types. For DD2 coming along to join the fun (I've got two in nappies - oh fun!) we just continued the stockpiling - I must have about 20-30 packs hoarded away from when supermarkets have decent deals (mainly on Huggies since we like 'em - although other people find them too thick and rippy)... only ever pay full price for the odd pack of different brands with proper flip top lids to keep in my changing bag (I find the sticker type lids dry out too much in there).

Nappies - think I had a couple of packs of size 1 and 2 in - then DD1 was in preemie sized ones for a month so didn't use 'em for ages... plus you need to find brands that work for you - although pretty much anything we've tried seems to have been OK with us (we're even on a left-over pack of Huggies someone's kid outgrew and passed onto us at the moment and they're working fine - despite people endlessly complaining about how bad they were).

josiejay Sat 13-Apr-13 21:35:40

Asda baby event starts this week - they are usually good for cheap nappies and wipes.

sianilovesbeingamummy Sat 13-Apr-13 22:56:47

definately stock up on wipes, un less you are having a tiny bubs then i woud only get 1 maybe 2 packs of size 1 nappies as there isn't much difference between 1 and 2........ as for formula, i would leave this until bubs is born as you never know what milk he/she prefers..... with my first i intended to BF so didnt have any bottle feeding equipment ready at home.... however, littlen refused point blank and i really didnt want to be stressing about it after having just had a emergency c-section so the hospital offered me either cow and gate or SMA formula....... i tried with cow and gate first as this is what most other mums on the ward were feeding their newborns but my little boy just would not take it, we then tried SMA the next day and he guzzled it down..... he styed on this right up until he was 12mths old and had no problems what so ever, he is a healthy and happy 17mth old toe rag now, hehe...... nappy creams maybe abother good thing to stock up on although i have only ever used it a handful of times with my littlen as he luckily never really suffered with nappy rash..... johnson's bath essentials are nearly always on offer, they even stock them in the pound land shops, home bargains and b n m stores at much cheaper prices than superstores and i always stock up on these..... with my little girl dur in 3 weeks time i am buying a few extra bits and bobs here and there but unlike when my little boy was due i have no where near the amount of wipes and nappies which i had..... kind of regretting having not stocked up on wipes but i ifnd that i use them for my little boy and forget that i am needing to buy double

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now