Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ankles: how swollen is too much?

(17 Posts)
3rdtimelucky73 Sat 13-Apr-13 01:07:46

Title covers it really.

My feet, ankles and legs from knee down are really very swollen. i.e. can't get any shoes on and look like elephant feet!

They go down a little overnight but rest doesn't really improve the tightness and soreness.

Any advice or tips?

35+4

Thanks in advance x

MichaelPortaloo Sat 13-Apr-13 01:09:27

Drink lots and lots of water and put your feet up. Make sure you keep moving. If it's painful go to the docs. If you're worried, put on some flip flops and go into the chemist.

3rdtimelucky73 Sat 13-Apr-13 01:13:16

Thanks MP.

Everything I drink seems to go straight to my ankles rather than my bladder these days!

MichaelPortaloo Sat 13-Apr-13 01:15:12

Keep going you'll flush some of it out! See if you can get a foot massage too smile

3rdtimelucky73 Sat 13-Apr-13 01:32:30

Sipping soda water and lime.....

I think I'll wait til morning before I request the masssage ;)

TheYoniVicarInaTutu Sat 13-Apr-13 01:49:57

speak to a gp.
i was the same.
after the birth my legs swelled up to the thighs - i had legs like tree trunks.

i was warned that if it didnt subside i would be admitted....swollen ankles is one thing.
swollen legs is another. talk to your midwife or gp. good luck! mine took 3 weeks to go down....

howcomes Sat 13-Apr-13 02:13:35

I didn't get swollen ankles until after giving birth, they were enormous for about 2 weeks. I was advised to drink lots of water to help avoid retention.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Sat 13-Apr-13 07:34:02

Mine are huge. None of my shoes fit and socks leave a massive dent half way up my calves (nice!). Regularly checked to make sure BPs ok and no protein - if you've not been checked recently then I'd make this a priority. So long as its not a pre-eclampsia sign then it's just another fun pregnancy thing!
I have found rubbing my stretch mark cream on my feet too does help with the stretch pain, but you can imagine how easy that is at 40+1!!

munchkinmaster Sat 13-Apr-13 07:38:13

Ask at your next appt for some surgical stockings. Seriously horrid but really helped. Took ages before someone suggested to me. No one will see them under trousers.

Ironbluemayfly Sat 13-Apr-13 07:48:31

You should get your bp checked because swelling is a symptom of pre-eclampsia

3rdtimelucky73 Sat 13-Apr-13 08:36:23

Thanks all.

I have had my BP and urine checked at weekly midwife appointments since 28 weeks so hope pre-eclampsia is ruled out.

Midwife said to keep an eye on it, but not much else.

Am off for a tour of the delivery suite (high risk) shortly so might as about stockings if the opportunity arises.

Thanks all.

mrspatpat Sat 13-Apr-13 09:33:11

I found the stockings a great help, even just flight stockings from boots!! my legs don't swell up half as much and I can fit almost all my shoes with them!! it's not quite warm enough to be stuck in flip flops........

munchkinmaster Sat 13-Apr-13 10:36:51

You can get pop sock type flight socks - I wore for a bit. Not as good as full blown old lady teds though.

50shadesofbrown Sat 13-Apr-13 10:48:03

I had similar problem for the last 9 weeks before labour. One thing I tried was sleeping on my back with my feet up on cushions, raised above level of my head. If you do this keep the sessions no longer than 90 mins if possible (ie 1 adult sleep cycle) as the best position to sleep in is on your left side. I had to sleep like this for a while every night as swelling was up to top of thighs by 38 weeks, couldn't even reach my own knees. Went down quick after the birth though.

Fluffeh Sat 13-Apr-13 15:59:01

I'm a huge elephant legged person sad.
It started just in my ankles and now its half way up my thighs and even down to my toes.
My BP has been up although seems to be stable at the moment.
I cant get any of my usual shoes or boots on, gave up on socks too as they're just too uncomfortable. Even if I wear slippers I get dents in my feet where the seams meet. When I go out I jam my fat feet into a pair of 2 sizes bigger ugg style boots.
I have my ELCS in just over a week and I'm really hoping it will make them magically go back to normal overnight - haha wishful thinking!

3rdtimelucky73 Fri 19-Apr-13 21:17:07

Thanks all - I have tried the flight socks. Helped a little but so difficult to get on and off with SPD have given up.

Am putting feet up as often as I can, but doesn't make much difference and I now have podgy fingers to match.

Am making do with a pair of birks on the loosest strap but I have a wedding to go to tomorrow and it looks so ugly.

Roll on Thursday.

Sympathies with anyone suffering similarly, they get pretty sore....

EcoHippyMum Sat 20-Apr-13 09:37:00

I had this with my youngest, and it was painful! I nicknamed it elephantitus of the feet! I had it up to just above my ankles but it did disappear after a couple of days after delivery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now