Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Packing hospital bag, woohoo

(16 Posts)
ButteryJam Fri 12-Apr-13 15:21:32

Hi,

Just packing my hospital bag at 34 weeks (finally!), wondering if anyone else is doing the same?

Got a huge bag of snacks but wondering whether its best to just leave that separately in the car or whether I should have a 'labour bag' too for a few snacks, and the tens machine?

I'm planning a natural birth at the birth centre. Isn't it quite likely that I won't be interested in snacks when I go in? And obviously later DP can grab them from the boot of the car?

ButteryJam Fri 12-Apr-13 15:22:16

Gosh it sounds like a really trivial question now, sorry!

babyradio Fri 12-Apr-13 15:29:36

Hahaha, I've just started thinking about mine and on my list was 'snacks?' - I have to be in the delivery suite though so have to wonder how many snacks I will feel like or even be allowed.

Its equally likely that all you will want are jaffa cakes or something while you're in labour, who knows, be prepared I say!

thepartysover Fri 12-Apr-13 16:32:24

Best 'snacks' I packed were glucose tablets. I didn't feel like eating much but these were a good energy boost.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 12-Apr-13 17:04:42

I'd leave them in the car, it'll give him (and you if they let you out) an excuse to go get some air if needed. I was induced and went for a few walks round the ground to try and start labour.

issypiggle Fri 12-Apr-13 17:09:05

take them with you, i was shifted from ward to delivery suite and back again and missed meals.

i ended up sending xp down to the petrol station at the end of the road to get me something as all the midwives could get me was toast.

Bunnychan Fri 12-Apr-13 17:47:17

I'm trying pack mine (also 34 weeks). I've done a little bag for baby and then started one for me. Toying with a third one in case I stay in for a bit. I'm finding it harder than I thought I would though x

Shaiandbump Fri 12-Apr-13 18:46:13

35 weeks and wondering ... What bag shall I use ?

God I'm so organised.

I've got a list on the wall, all I have to do is put things in the bag, right hmm

Last time around I was fully packed, repacked and packed again, this time round ... I'm so much more lazy relaxed

iamfizzy Fri 12-Apr-13 18:59:46

I have packed three bags.
One with all mine and baby clothes in.
One with all mine and babies toiletries in.
One man bag, with all the food in!
I do not want my OH having to wander off anywhere to get food because he's hungry or bored. My Sister in law learnt this the hard way after her husband returned from Greggs laden with pasties only to find he'd missed the birth!!

madamecake Fri 12-Apr-13 19:03:49

Definitely take snacks in your labour bag, even if you don't them your partner probably will! I didn't want to eat anything in labour, but did drink copious amounts of lucozade.
And don't pack your tens machine, just leave it on top of the bag in case you want to start using it at home first.

issypiggle Fri 12-Apr-13 19:52:46

wow, 3 bags...i had one, hastily chucked together by my xp, the evening i got told i was staying in. i had half started mine when i went in.

barbben Fri 12-Apr-13 19:58:41

your question made me lol smile the things we worry about when we are pregnant!
i would leave them in the car, no need to carry them around all day

ButteryJam Sat 13-Apr-13 00:07:38

Thanks everyone! Looks like they'll stay in the car for now as I have no space left in my hospital bag ...

I'm just wondering whether DH even needs to bring the hospital bag in when we go in? Surely neither of us will need that in labour, and the only thing he may need is snacks! Hummm ... Maybe snacks should take top priority lol

ButteryJam Sat 13-Apr-13 00:15:02

I think I'm going to end up with four bags (two to take in):

- a small labour bag with few snacks, lucozade, lucozade tablets, coins, charger and phone
- hospital bag for a 24 hour stay in
- second hospital bag incase we need to stay in longer (left in car)
- a plastic bag full of snacks and food (left in car)

ButteryJam Sat 13-Apr-13 00:20:25

Bunnychan, I found it much more difficult than I thought I would too. Made a list, amended it, went out shopping a couple of times, and finally feel like I'm making some progress. I'm also placing a copy of the list in the bags so I know what I've put in them and what's left to put.

TheNewShmoo Sun 14-Apr-13 21:00:05

I was The Bag Lady. I had a bag with an orange lamp (no candles allowed in birth centre), a dozen glowy spa light thingys that float on water, a sieve for the pool, iPod and docking station for music, homeopathy kit, bath pillow for the pool...

A bag FULL of cloth nappies for baby. Just sold them on eBay... unused new condition!!

Bag for me.

Bag for DH.

How I laugh now. Might pack a bum bag this time round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now