Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Was your sweep successful?

(19 Posts)
LuckyOwl28 Fri 12-Apr-13 13:17:17

I have one booked for Monday but not getting hopes up too much because of the low success rate. Also I hear it depends if your body is favoured towards labour, which I don't think mine can be as have had no symptoms or signs or early labour AT ALL. I'm 40+4 today.

So... Did yours get things moving?

Mosschops30 Fri 12-Apr-13 13:18:22

No, on either late pregnancy

pumpkinsweetie Fri 12-Apr-13 13:29:52

I went overdue to the point of needing an induction with pfb & dd2. Had sweeps with both of them, they didn't work. But to be fair my cervix wasn't favourable with either of them and continued to remain high when i went to be induced. My eldest two must have been snug as bug in a rug.
dd3 & dd4 were late as well, but weren't induced or sweeps 41+3 and 40+4.

helebear Fri 12-Apr-13 13:54:49

Watching this with interest as I'm 41+1 and I've had two sweeps so far. I had a show between the two and hoped the one I had yesterday would set things off but nope! I was 1cm dilated at the first one and 2cm yesterday but who knows if that was due to the sweep or not. Dd1 was a week overdue but I didn't have any sweeps with her, I'm just more impatient this time. I've another booked for Monday if I don't go into labour over the weekend....

Heinz55 Fri 12-Apr-13 14:00:14

Yes, I was 37+5 when I had the sweep - no labour symptoms at all - and went into labour at 3am at 38 weeks exactly. DS born at 9am. I thought there'd be no hope and was booked in for an induction at 38+4 but the doctor said: we might see you before then so he obviously thought there was a chance!

LuckyOwl28 Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:05

Heinz when you had the sweep did they say your cervix was already dilated at all, or did the sweep literally bring everything on?

popebenedictsp45 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:16:48

I had one at around 40+2 I think. It didn't work and I went on to be induced, but I was only a teeny bit dilated at the time.

Hope it works for you though.

Heinz55 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:46:45

I wasn't dilated!! The comments prior to the we might see you before Tuesday were all negative, like, no sign of anything happening here!! I was a bit tuned out - as you do when a couple of people are poking around down there! I was being induced as I live a long way from the hospital (usually 75 mins drive) and was terrified I wouldn't get there in time for adequate pain relief (I'm not brave at all!), I did make it in time and I always felt DS was a bit grumpy for the first 12 months as he'd been turfed out of his cosy womb before he was quite ready grin Anyway, good luck - I hope your sweep is as successful. Also, up until 3am I had no signs of labour - it was so sudden that despite having been through it all before I had to google symptoms before I was sure and ended up packing my bags in the throes of contractions and bringing 6 yr old dd to the hospital with me blush!!! Hope you are more prepared than I was.

bigkidsdidit Fri 12-Apr-13 16:48:34

I had two, at 40 weeks and 40+5. Ended up being induced at 40+12.

I was 2cm dilated apparently for both but was still that at 12 days over...

catsdogsandbabies Fri 12-Apr-13 16:53:46

Nope had 2 did nothing. Hard to saw they work as a proportion of overdue people would go into labour sweep or not! Now 40+ 3 and will be declining them. Painful and in my experience pointless!

Jsa1980 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:32:40

41 weeks, two sweeps (last one today) another booked for Monday, no signs yet. Will be induced on Wed. Midwife said the sweeps although not always successful can make induction easier (how I don't know). Totally fed up now!

MB34 Fri 12-Apr-13 20:11:15

I had my first sweep at 40+10, was 1.5cm dilated and contractions started at 2am the next morning out of nowhere, DS born 10 hours later. Before this I didn't have any signs of labour.

I do think they only work if your body is getting ready for labour anyway.

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Fri 12-Apr-13 20:16:40

No! I was 40 + 2 and 1.5cm dilated. I still had to be induced 2 weeks later.

It was truly the most painful thing ever.

helebear Fri 12-Apr-13 21:14:01

Jsa1980 I'm on exactly the same timetable as you and totally fed up too!

VodkaJelly Fri 12-Apr-13 21:44:33

I was 40+7 when I had a sweep. I had no signs of labour then had the sweep at 12pm. By 6pm the contractions started and DD was born the next day.

It wasnt painful, just uncomfortable, the midwife said my cervix was stretchy but not dilated.

Figgygal Fri 12-Apr-13 21:48:55

Nope was useless needed an induction at 40+11

2Labradors Fri 12-Apr-13 22:42:18

Yes, mine did both times. With both DD & DS I have a sweep in the morning and labour started that afternoon.

With DD I had sweep at 4 days overdue and she was born the following day (long labour).

With DS I was 5 days overdue and had him just after midnight. I couldn't wait for my sweep with DS as it had worked first time so I was convinced it would work again, and it did. Maybe it was the positive thinking too. I went for a long walk after my sweep 2nd time too.

Jsa1980 Fri 12-Apr-13 23:42:19

helebear - it really is crap isn't it. I'm almost at the point of looking forward to being induced!

Ostrich78 Sat 13-Apr-13 08:48:30

I had a sweep at 40+2 with no signs of labour starting and by lunchtime was having bad period pains. Gave birth early the next day! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now