Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please help, I can barely walk

(18 Posts)
CuppaCiggieBiccieBliss Fri 12-Apr-13 12:06:58

I'm 12 weeks with dc2. I've had a few issues with bleeding so far everything is fine.
A few weeks ago I had quite a lot of pain due to sciatica, it wasn't constant though so I was managing. Now I'm struggling to walk. It feels as though I'm going snap in two when I try to walk at any speed other than a shuffle. It is sore from my lower back, round to the front and down my thighs. I can only describe it as feeling clicky confused
Any ideas what this could be or what I can do to ease it?

StitchAteMySleep Fri 12-Apr-13 12:12:30

Sounds like SPD, you need to see your GP for a physio referral.

LittlePebble Fri 12-Apr-13 12:13:44

Hi cuppa congratulations on your pregnancy grin

I would suggest going to your GP so they can check if its something like SPD and refer you if necessary.

CuppaCiggieBiccieBliss Fri 12-Apr-13 12:18:35

Thankyou thanks
Can spd start this early, I always assumed it was something that happened in later pregnancy confused not that I have any clue really!

ScienceRocks Fri 12-Apr-13 12:21:26

Sorry to say that it sounds like SPD. Get yourself to the gp pronto. You need a support belt and rapid referral to physio. These will help slow the progression and enable you to get about.

For the rest of your pregnancy: Don't push yourself. If it hurts, don't do it. No pushing pushchairs, shopping trolleys etc. Try not to lift anything too heavy. A plastic bag on your car seat will make getting out of the car easier. Silk (or pretend grin) sheets or pyjamas will have the same effect in bed. Try and sit straight, not with your legs bent underneath you. Go up and down the stairs as little as possible.

Remember that you can take paracetamol for the pain. It will not harm your baby, so take it. Two tablets four times a day. A tens machine is also helpful.

Good luck thanks

ScienceRocks Fri 12-Apr-13 12:23:17

Yes it can start this early sad it is much commoner in subsequent pregnancies because your body knows what to do from the last time and can release the hormone relaxin too early. This makes your ligaments get looser than they should be - necessary when you are going to push a baby out, but not so helpful earlier on.

CuppaCiggieBiccieBliss Fri 12-Apr-13 12:28:54

Thankyou all again thanks I will phone the gp this afternoon and hopefully get an appointment before Christmas, if I'm lucky hmm
I am so jealous of women that are able to have problem free pregnancies, it truly is a nightmare for me until the day the baby is born! I shouldn't complain too much, I know how lucky we are really but it's so gutting when I just can't enjoy it. Self obsessed rant over blush

ScienceRocks Fri 12-Apr-13 13:47:08

Complain away! SPD is awful. There's usually a support thread, which is well worth popping into. Lots of support, shared experiences and advice on there brew

HJBeans Fri 12-Apr-13 17:48:58

I had dreadful lower back pain at 11 weeks - moving like Frankenstein, awful. Thought it couldn't happen so early in pregnancy and also that if this was what it was like so early there was no way I'd make it through.

Good news is I was able to self-refer to an antenatal physio, by the time of the appt the next week I was already a bit better, following her advice on motions and exercises I was completely better a few weeks after that. 24 weeks now and am sore some days but absolutely nothing I've the early days.

Really hope you're able to see someone who can help soon and that this is just an early pregnancy issue for you, too. Good luck, I really feel for you. sad

CuppaCiggieBiccieBliss Fri 12-Apr-13 18:18:31

Thankyou, I'm pleased you're feeling better now. I have got an appointment with the gp next friday, first one available, so hopefully they will refer me.
I've had a little cry this evening, it's driving me mad tbh sad

piratecat Fri 12-Apr-13 19:23:34

bless you. i understand how awful it is. I had it from 22 weeks, till a long time after dd was born. bighug from me xxx

CuppaCiggieBiccieBliss Fri 12-Apr-13 19:52:59

I'm sorry for all those that have suffered with this. I am struggling with getting up the stairs, that's fun with no downstairs toilet, and dp is at work sad I think I'll have to set up camp in the bedroom for the rest of the night.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Fri 12-Apr-13 22:18:30

Poor you cuppa, I got spd in week 15 with my first pregnancy. I looked like a freak as I had to do a pregnancy waddle at times even though I wasn't noticeably pregnant till week 26.

You might find walking up the stairs backwards helps a bit (setting up camp upstairs will be less painful though).

DreamsTurnToGoldDust Fri 12-Apr-13 22:28:20

Just in case its not SPD....

I had the `back snapping` at three months it was horrendous, I could barely walk and after a few minutes I actually felt like my spine was going to snap, all I could do was lie on the sofa or floor as the bed didnt help. I was given physio which actually made it worse, I was on a tens machine from four months, didnt help either, eventually the doctor referred me to a chiropracter (sp?) she said that I had fused a disc. She malnipulated it back gently. The relief was almost instant.

sweetiepie1979 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:52:37

Hey cuppa In 14 weeks I've not been able to walk for 4 weeks now lying on floor. It's been horrendous the pain unbearable they gave me codeine and diazepam I tried not to take it but in the end I had too. No one has mentioned spd to me I don't know what it is. My pain is all down my leg can't put foot to ground though it is easing. I've had private Physio and they ate giving me an ultra sound tomorrow to look at pelvis and muscles. Had MRI this week to see if there is any problem with disc. Physio thinks pelvis out of line and sacrollic joint is disfunctioning. Lots of seelling but of course can't take anti inflams. Ice on bum helps you could give that a go. I'd this your first or second? This is my second and Physio thinks it has a lot to do with childbirth first time round after I have had some stress incontinence when sneezing etc I ignored it turned out I really shouldnt have! It'll be a lifetime of Pilates after this for me. Just hope I can start to move more and be in less pain soon. Keep me posted as to how you are I'd be interested to know your outcome. Well wishesflowers

CuppaCiggieBiccieBliss Sat 13-Apr-13 09:38:20

Thankyou all again for your kind messages. I did manage some sleep, in very strange positions!
I have been taking paracetamol when it's really painful but it's not helping much, is there anything else I can safely take? Honestly, you wouldn't believe I've already got a dd, I seem to have forgotten everything....or blocked it out grin

sweetiepie1979 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:24:55

Hi glad to hear you got some sleep. Like I said they gave me codeine 30/500 doctor and midwife said safe but a bit more complicated in third trimester. The codeine would have to be prescribed though.

CuppaCiggieBiccieBliss Sat 13-Apr-13 11:39:45

Thankyou Sweetiepie, I will ask the doctor next week. A hot water bottle is easing it a bit so I'm spending the day on the sofa with the remote and mumsnet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now