Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

When do you get your elective c section booked?

(18 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Thu 11-Apr-13 20:23:27

Im only 14.5 weeks so it's still early days, but I know i am going to have another c section. I had an emergency last time so was wondering what week they usually book an elective? I am high risk, had preeclampsia last time and am already on blood pressure medication etc... Thanks

Fairlygrounded Thu 11-Apr-13 20:26:54

I saw the consultant straight after my 20 week scan and they booked me in then for 39 weeks, you automatically see a consultant if you've had a previous c section.

GiveMeVegemite Thu 11-Apr-13 20:30:41

I have a meeting with the consultant at 16 weeks already booked. Would that be too early for them to tell me?

Fairlygrounded Thu 11-Apr-13 20:38:26

It wouldn't have been too early with me - I may have combined the appointments for convenience. Once we'd had the discussion they literally went and got the book and wrote me in it, so if your hospital has the same process then you should hopefully know your date soon. Have to say it is lovely having a date booked in - really given me a focus and a countdown, 5 weeks tomorrow!

GiveMeVegemite Thu 11-Apr-13 20:42:28

Congratulations! Wow, I hope they do tell me at 16 weeks, it would be awesome to have a date to look forward to. Can I ask which hospital you are at?

SucksToBeMe Thu 11-Apr-13 20:45:59

I had pre eclampsia too,with a EMCS and this time I have a placenta preavia so will be having another section. I'm 33wks and still haven't been given a date yet. I assume different areas vary in procedure.

Fairlygrounded Thu 11-Apr-13 20:46:28

Ormskirk. I guess the only difference for you could be that you're high risk, but I think 39 weeks is the preferred time. The consultant will explain all I'm sure.

GiveMeVegemite Thu 11-Apr-13 20:51:16

sucks that really does suck! I hope my hospital let me know nice and early like yours fairly!

WidowWadman Thu 11-Apr-13 20:54:49

I had mine booked at the consultant appointment for my 20 week scan (had previous EMCS, which automatically meant consultant). Agreed CS-date for 39+0 there and then, but only because I made my case and could demonstrate that I had looked into risks and benefits of both VBAC and ELCS.

Had I not obviously read up on it, he'd have given me some info material and sent me home to think about it before making decision.

lotsofcheese Thu 11-Apr-13 21:37:31

Hi Vegemite, I had PE 1st time & EMCS at 29 weeks.

This time, I have ELCS booked for 39 weeks due to breech baby. It has just been booked for me at 35 weeks.

If I develop PE, or go into labour between now & then I'll have EMCS - unless baby has turned.

Good luck!

redwellybluewelly Thu 11-Apr-13 22:02:25

I was offered a booking in when I went to the hospital for my 12 week scan (previous major complications in labour).

I refused it.

I was told I had to have it (pretty much) at 20 weeks and that was reinforced at 30 weeks. However the booking process got pretty messed up. I've been told if I go into natural labour before 39+5 (when the CS is booked) I have to get to delivery ASAP although if all is progressing well they may 'allow' me to deliver naturally.

lucybrad Thu 11-Apr-13 23:11:56

Blimey 39+5 they are cutting it fine. Surely there is a good chance of you going into labour before that? My last one was booked in for 39 weeks at 36 weeks. They then changed the date themselves to 38+5 which I was happy with (the ealrier the better within reason) as we had xmas right in the middle of it. As it happened I was discharged in xmas day!

atrcts Thu 11-Apr-13 23:33:59

I've known since 22 weeks that I will be offered an ELCS but despite telling me it will be booked at 39 weeks, I have to wait until I am seen at 34 weeks for the actual date. There is a chance I could be early but have been told I would just be bumped up on that day's CS list as a non-critical EMCS, if that makes sense! (I suppose they mean it would be emergency enough to try and beat labour but not life threatening within 3 minutes!).

GiveMeVegemite Fri 12-Apr-13 07:47:50

widow can you tell me what you said it terms of preferring a c section to a vbac? I don't want to be sent home with reading material!

Rico08 Fri 12-Apr-13 08:41:29

I've to inform the hospital next week of my choice of vbac or elcs, I will be 36 weeks. If I choose elcs the consultant said I will be booked in to have it at 39 weeks.

Only problem is after saying up all the pros & cons for vbac & elcs I still cannot decide what to do. (Had emcs with ds)

Rico08 Fri 12-Apr-13 08:42:42

*weighing not saying

redwellybluewelly Fri 12-Apr-13 09:50:34

I am a reluctant CS and it is because I am not high risk in pregnancy but in post gestation labour. There is also a chance baby might be small (my first pregnancy was almost 43 weeks and she was normal size) so I will have CTG and full assessment at 34 & 38 weeks to see how baby is doing.

My circumstances are unusual - I would much rather be left alone at home with my community team but what I want doesn't really come into it anymore.

TheBeanAndTheBee Fri 12-Apr-13 10:12:52

I knew I would have to have a C-section again 2nd time around (fibroids, NO chance of natural birth) but they still didn't confirm and book it until 34 weeks.... So don't be disappointed if you don't find out early.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: