Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

white bits on my fingernails?

(5 Posts)
Hai1988 Wed 10-Apr-13 14:29:18

Just wondering if anyone knew if this was pregnancy related or not and how to get rid of them, its on nearly every nail and don't look great sad

Pants82 Wed 10-Apr-13 17:41:41

This normally means a lack of calcium. The white bits just have to grow out. Drink lots of milk and eat cheese smile

Ilovestackingcups Wed 10-Apr-13 18:05:04

It might also be zinc deficiency.

ShowOfHands Wed 10-Apr-13 18:10:01

The common answer usually involves calcium or zinc deficiencies. 99% of the time this isn't right though. It's a bit of a myth.

White marks on nails are usually caused by trauma. The trauma can happen weeks before the spots show up due to growth times and other factors I can't remember.

It's usually nothing but if they persist or you're worried, ask your midwife/gp.

Hai1988 Wed 10-Apr-13 19:03:46

Ok thanks, i am taking a pregnancy multi vit so was slightly confused as to why it should be a deficiency.

I am on the other hand always bashing my hands and bending my nails back and hurting my fingers so the trauma conclusion could be correct tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now