Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Moles and freckles....

(6 Posts)
Kateliztmum2be Wed 10-Apr-13 11:41:54

Hello all yummy mummy's to be!

I am 22 & 6 days preggo with dc1,
Yesterday I noticed a brand new mole on the bottom of my back, and wondered if it was commonplace during pregnancy to experience these types of skin changes. I'm quite freckley and moley anyway but am going to make an appointment at the GP to get checked out! There is no irritation or redness etc and where new mole is never sees the sunshine! It just made me notice my freckles and moles seem a bit more apparent of late! I don't seem to have darker nipples or a linea negra, just new and darker freckles!

Thanks ladies

Xx

Nibblonian Wed 10-Apr-13 11:52:16

Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

I'm now 38+5 in my first pregnancy and have noticed my skin is generally drier than normal and this affected some of my (numerous) moles and freckles - a couple feel dry and look a little flaky but moisturiser has helped and my care team have not expressed any worries. I've had a couple of new ones appear too but as far as I know, the development of a new mole in a person who is generally mole-y is not necessarily a cause for concern.

Still, it's best to have it checked out if you're worried at all and of course, a mole that changes in colour, shape, diameter, regularity or bleeds/crusts/itches should always be examined by a medic.

Pretty sure it's just another glamorous pregnancy side-effect though!

Snowflakepie Wed 10-Apr-13 12:29:25

You do get more moles, freckles, skin tags in pg. Get it checked if it concerns you but without other symptoms, odds are its fine. I found with DD that moles changed size, new ones appeared and skin tags came where clothes rubbed. Once she was born they all seemed to either go or shrink back to normal. They have grown again with this DC (30 weeks) but I expect them to go again, and if there are still some I'm worried about after he's born I shall get them checked out then.

MarianaTrench Wed 10-Apr-13 12:50:42

Get them checked. I did seem to get a couple of new moles but also noticed changes in a couple of existing ones. One on my bump got very itchy and bled. I was referred to dermatology and inspected all over before they decided to remove two, the pathology report showed they had both experienced pre-cancerous changes which may or may not have been connected to pregnancy. I now have a yearly mole mapping appointment which keeps track of the rest.

JBrd Wed 10-Apr-13 13:07:57

I agree, get them checked.
I had a mole that changed when I was pg - it developed a scab and bled a little as well. I never saw it because it was on my lower back, but DH got really concerned, so I went to my GP. Having a special in interest in dermatology herself, she didn't think that it was serious, but wanted to be on the safe side and referred me to a dermatologist. He also didn't think that it was anything to be greatly concerned about, but again, wanted to be on the safe side, so they removed it after I had give birth - all good.

TBH, what I think happened was that my trousers had started rubbing over the mole as I was getting fatter bigger, which caused the scab and the bleeding. But it's true that your skin changes a lot when being pg, and it's always best to be cautious.

JollyPurpleGiant Wed 10-Apr-13 13:15:09

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and getting a mole removed in a couple of weeks because it has grown quite a lot. Dr Google tells me that new moles and changes to existing moles are common during pregnancy, but going to your GP is always worthwhile if you are concerned smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now