Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

transferring maternity care

(5 Posts)
wispa31 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:59:09

hi
so me and dp have decided i will be moving in with him once his house is finished. (renovation work). this is 60 miles from where i live now. (he has a mortgage and i only rent so makes sense and also i dont want to raise children where i am.)
this is going to happen before baby is born and i will probably wait til i start mat leave so im going off sick first starting mat leave in july. obv i will not be close enough to hospital im currently at for scans etc and the birth. i was reluctant to change hospitals as i had thought there was only the mlu at this hospital but i discovered last night (thanks to google) that the hospital near him also has a mlu as well as clu. even did the video tour.
can i ask to transfer my care to the other hospital or will i have to stay at this one.
also, was going to ring the mat unit today wrt to my '20wk' scan which im not getting til 22 wks but could actually be 23wks as last mw appt she told me i was a week further on than i thought. the lady who booked me the scans said they wouldnt take me at 23 wks as it was too late and the date its booked dp is away on business for few days and cant get out of it, they have said they have nothing earlier than that as they are booked up but whats the chances they could get me an appt at the other hospital if they have any appts? would they do it?

shit this ended up far longer than i intended. apologies and tia!

wispa31 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:22:13

anyone??

roofio87 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:48:32

my sister had all her pre natal care at the hospital in Leeds near her but actually gave bird and had all post natal care in York as she was at my parents for the birth and after. everyone was very good about her doing that. I'm sure it will be no problem. ask your current midwife about it and I'm sure she'll be able to tell you how to go about it!! good luck smile

roofio87 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:48:56

gave *birth, not bird lol

usernamegoeshere Wed 10-Apr-13 16:00:44

I moved 500 miles at 32 weeks, it's been fine and no one found my case unusual. I believe in most instances first step will be to register with new gp but if you may find a self referral to mw team if you look depends on area

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now