Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lots of bleeding in early pregnancy - anyone still had a baby after this?

(11 Posts)
Xalla Wed 10-Apr-13 05:40:22

I'm 10 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was over 7 weeks because as far as I was concerned, I'd had a normal period late February. I bled for 5 days, maybe a bit lighter than usual but nothing that different to my usual periods.

When I realised I was pregnant I had a routine early scan because I've had an ectopic in the past. We saw a lovely little heartbeat flickering away and went home delighted.

On Sunday night I had some pain when I went to bed but it had been a long day including a plane flight so I just took some paracetamol and went to sleep. At 2am my toddler woke up so I got out of bed to go to her and literally had blood pouring down my legs. I was scanned again yesterday and the baby's still alive. I can't get my head around how....there was soooo much blood. I'm still bleeding now albeit very lightly. The doctor said to go home and rest (easier said than done)!

Has anyone had similar? I've got 2 kids and didn't experience this with either of their pregnancies.

worsestershiresauce Wed 10-Apr-13 07:00:22

Yes, I had what I thought were light periods for several months, and two heavy floods of bright red blood. Bleeds stopped at 17 weeks. DD is 6 weeks old now. I lost a twin in the early weeks, which caused the bleeding.

SheepNoisesOff Wed 10-Apr-13 07:04:40

Brief as on phone - I had this with my first. It was like a heavy period and I didn't see how I could possibly still be pregnant. Went on for weeks. DC1 is now 2.5.

MrsHiddleston Wed 10-Apr-13 07:06:14

Yes... Lots of bleeding probably every 2 weeks up until 16 weeks when it just suddenly stopped. DS is now 3. It was very frightening and they never did get to the bottom of it but did say it wasn't uncommon. The key thing they said to me was that the bleeding should not be accompanied by pain.

whattimestea Wed 10-Apr-13 07:15:29

With my first DS i - now 14 - i bled constantly from around 8 weeks til just under 16 weeks. I was like you and wondered how on earth it meant i was still pregnant when there was so much blood. A scan revealed i actually had a blood clot (haematoma) on the side of my uterus and the bleeding was this just coming away. I was scanned regularly to make sure the clot got smaller, which it did. Once it went the bleeding stopped. Have you been scanned to check for this?

StupidFlanders Wed 10-Apr-13 07:22:30

I have bled during every pregnancy except the first. I have lost a few and had a stillbirth but am due in a couple of weeks and everything looks good despite this time having the worst bleeding and clots yet!

Xalla Wed 10-Apr-13 07:44:50

Ah OK so maybe a clot. The doctor who scanned me yesterday said something about a low lying placenta (but then he said "but that's OK"). His English wasn't great and he had a heavy accent so I wasn't certain of a lot of what he was saying. I was just grateful to see the heartbeat. We're not at home at the moment; I've got another scan booked as soon as we get back so maybe I'll learn more then.
I haven't had any pain since Sunday evening but like I said, it had been a pretty stressful day.

Thank you all.

Dolallytats Wed 10-Apr-13 08:05:47

I had this with my DS, who is now five. I had a low lying placenta but as time went on and it moved up, I continued to bleed very heavily. I was in hospital for most of the pregnancy because of this. The bleeding was very scary and I was passing clots the size of a fist (and lots of them) and was always amazed that the baby was still ok.

As I said, DS is now 5, very happy and cheeky and quite possibly the best little boy in the whole world!!!!

I hope everything works out for you.

Bearcrumble Wed 10-Apr-13 08:13:33

I had two very big bleeds (one at a wedding). It was a subchorionic haematoma bleeding out. DS is three now.

Leviticus Wed 10-Apr-13 08:20:02

Yes. Massive, sudden blood loss at 15 weeks. DS now 3mo and wriggling happily on the bed next to me.

Best wishes to you OP.

PickleSarnie Wed 10-Apr-13 08:38:55

I had an absolutely mahoosive bleed at abou 11 weeks that went on for two days. Like a really, really heavy period. They found a massive haematoma on the scan. I bled brown blood for another couple of weeks after that. My son is now 8months old and completely oblivious of all the stress!

Hope all goes well for you too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now