Talk

Advanced search

Measuring behind at 38 weeks

(7 Posts)
Charlotte154 Tue 09-Apr-13 18:16:10

Hi everyone I'm in a bit of a panick. I had my 38 week appointment today and up until now my boy has been right on track with his measurements.

She said that he hasn't grown since last appointment 2 weeks ago. I'm measuring 34 whatever that means? She's sending me to a growth scan and just awaiting a date for that. His head apparently still isn't fully engaged by what she can tell, so I don't think it has anything to do with that.

I don't carry alot of fluid either, I'm concerned something could be wrong as he was fine until now

Charlotte154 Tue 09-Apr-13 19:38:39

?? Can anyone offer any advice please

Startail Tue 09-Apr-13 19:46:24

DD1 was small for dates and had low fluid levels. They did lots of scans and heat monitoring traces.

It was decided to induce her at 39 weeks, she didn't wait and I went into labour naturally the night before.

Yes she was a bit small, 6lb 2oz, but perfectly healthy.

She's not small now, she's 15 and 5'6" (ie 2" taller than me)

Good luck

PandaWatch Tue 09-Apr-13 19:52:45

Hi Charlotte. The measurement is the measurement in cms of your fundal height, which is the length from your public bone to the top of your bump. Usually it should be a cm for every week of your pregnancy. However, a lot can affect the size of your bump. I know a few people who were told they would have huge babies because they were measuring big, whereas it was actually fluid retention and they had very regular sized babies.

Conversely, my SiL was measuring the same as you at 38 weeks and was referred to an obstetrician. The obstetrician took one look at her (she's only about 5'1" and petite frame) and said "well look at you, you're not going to have a massive baby are you?" and her DS and up being 6lbs 7oz.

Then you have someone like me, who is tall, and I've been measuring 2 - 2.5cm behind throughout (now 38 weeks). It wasn't until my 36 week appointment that the midwife said this could be partly because my bump is spread to the sides rather than all out front.

So please try not to worry too much x

Charlotte154 Tue 09-Apr-13 21:12:31

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they say at the scan. It's hard not to worry, I'm
Hoping they have just measured my stomach stong

Reenypip Tue 09-Apr-13 22:54:02

I'm really worried too. My bump fundal height same as it was at 29 weeks and I'm 35 weeks tomorrow.
I've asked to see my consultant this Thursday instead of next week.

sianilovesbeingamummy Thu 11-Apr-13 11:49:02

i have been having growth scan for about the past 8weeks now, i am due to go for my third one either Monday or Tuesday, depending on appointment availability!!!!!!! anyway..... you simply have a scan which will measure the babies head, tummy and leg measurments...... they will also measure your amniotic fluid amount...... measurments done with the midwives tape measures can never be 100% accurate and this is why they allow 2cm either way in comparrison to your dates..... so for 38 weeks, they will allow measurments of either 40cm or 36cm....... a scan will allow accurate measurments and should it come to light that your baby has stopped growing they may want to deliver him a little earlier..... this could be caused by the placenta having stopped working therefore your littlen isn't getting the nutrients he needs and will benefit from being born..... at 38 weeks your babies digestive system id fully developed and can handle a milk diet and as we are full term at 37weeks he wouldn't be classed as prem either....... i wouldn't worry yourself too much but be prepared to meet your littlen a little sooner than expected..... this may not be the case though and bubs may just be well into your pelvis which knocks the measurements a little..... as long as plenty of amniotic fluid and your placenta looks to be working correctly they will leave you to go naturally......

Let us know how you get on as i am a little anxious as to how my third scan is going to pan out...... my past 2 scans have shown that baby is still growing, albeit at a slower rate than average so they have let me progress further into my pregnancy but now i am 36weeks they want to do one final check incase they need to bring my section date forward..... kind of hoping all is ok as have childcare planned etc for 7th May, my section date, and it would be awkward to find someone to have my little boy if they were to bring things forward..... having said that if she needs to be delivered then obviously i will do whatever is best for her..... everything always seems alittle more stressful when pregnant and these final few weeks are a long and stressful time for us i think.......

look forward to reading your update hun and hope all goes well with your scan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now