Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Painful Braxton Hicks

(4 Posts)
rrreow Tue 09-Apr-13 17:40:18

I'm 30+3 and have been feeling braxton hicks every day since about 16w, it's my 2nd pregnancy. Mostly they just make my bump feel hard & heavy and make me feel like I need to pee. Annoying but not painful.

However, the past 3 days or so occasionally I get one that is more painful, kind of like period cramping. About 95% of the time they are the normal braxton hicks I'm used to, it's just the other 5% of the time they feel painful. Is that normal and just my body gearing up for labour, or is it something I should get checked out?

Keepsmilingsunshine Tue 09-Apr-13 18:29:55

Hi, I have no idea but didn't want to read and run.

I would suggest ringing the AN clinic or MW. After all, thats what they are there for, and for the sake of a quick phone call it saves you worrying. Hope everything's alright.

LittlePickleHead Tue 09-Apr-13 22:06:01

I have had this LOADS - second pregnancy and I had none at all with my first.

They get a bit disconcerting and I've had them for really extended periods at 5 min intervals.

I've been for monitoring and all normal and fine. It is your body preparing and unless they get worse (take your breath away) or very regular with shortening intervals then I wouldn't worry.

Things that can apparently help are having a bath, changing what you are doing (ie sitting down if you are moving or moving if you are sitting down) and going to sleep. Apparently dehydration can also make it worse so its worth drinking a glass of water.

But yes, if you are very worried there is no harm in calling the mau for their advice

rrreow Wed 10-Apr-13 10:50:15

Thanks for sharing your experience LittlePickleHead, that's reassuring to know that it can be normal for them to be painful. I'll just keep an eye on them and go in if they become regular or more painful at any time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: