We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What does stretch marks "fading" actually mean?

(18 Posts)
peacefuleasyfeeling Tue 09-Apr-13 16:48:02

When people say that stretch marks "fade", are they only referring to the colour (I know they can appear slightly purplish), or is it the whole textural silvery thing that might gradually go away, leaving the skin as smooth as before? I assume it is the former, but some people seem so enthusiastic about this fading that I'm starting to wonder.

I've just noticed a few under my bump (30wks) and am holding out for this alleged fading. I had none with DD so totally smugged out...

polkadotsrock Tue 09-Apr-13 16:54:45

Nope, they'll always be there, just not as 'raw'

Sidge Tue 09-Apr-13 16:55:23

I don't think the skin will be as smooth as before but they do tend to get paler and sometimes 'shallower' and smoother. I don't think they ever really go away though.

rrreow Tue 09-Apr-13 16:58:35

They get paler (more in line with your skin colour) and they also tend to get a bit thinner (because they're not so stretched). I don't think they ever go back to the same colour/texture of your unstretched skin though (at least mine haven't, neither the ones from being pregnant nor the teenage growthspurt ones)

Cravingdairy Tue 09-Apr-13 17:01:17

My teenage ones went silvery white and are now barely noticeable unless you look.

orangeshortbread Tue 09-Apr-13 17:03:17

how long does it take? 3 months after dd born mine have barely faded at all.

rrreow Tue 09-Apr-13 17:30:15

I think after 3 months mine hadn't faded yet either, my stomach still looked a bit 'messy' and with flabby skin (could have had something to do with losing weight very quickly when breastfeeding, I went to below my pre-preg weight as I just couldn't keep the weight on). When I got pregnant with DS2 about 18m after the birth of DS1 they had faded a lot to the point of no longer really being noticable (although our bathroom mirror is not full length so I didn't spend a lot of time examining them!)

Floweryhat Tue 09-Apr-13 17:32:19

Mine from my first baby 8 years ago are finally looking a little less obvious. 4th baby is 8 months. This is the first time I've noticed an improvement in the "ridge and furrow" effect. Sorry, prob not what you wanted to hear!

peacefuleasyfeeling Tue 09-Apr-13 18:46:30

Perhaps not, Floweryhat, but hey, I'm telling myself I'm OK with them being there.
I am curious about why they've appeared this time as there has been no apparent difference; no significant weight-gain, the same sporadic application of creams etc, but this will remain a mystery, I'm sure.
Thank you all for your replies, it is kind of you to take the time.

TheOrchardKeeper Tue 09-Apr-13 18:52:42

I've got them on my tummy, boobs, sides & bum & inner thighs but I actually like them now they're silver smile

The bigger DS gets and the harder it is to remember me carrying him for 9 months becomes the more they remind me of that weird & wonderful period!

They do fade eventually anyway and become much more shallow & less visible. I didn't like them half as much when they were red raw grin

Springforward Tue 09-Apr-13 19:52:44

My ones from growing are now thin and silvery, can barely see them. I developed a couple more in my first pregnancy 5 years ago, they are a little thicker but the same colour.

Floweryhat Wed 10-Apr-13 09:37:09

I only got them in my first pregnancy. They appeared at a point where my bump grew v rapidly in the space of about a week. I'm not sure there's any evidence creams work, no matter how much we'd like them to.

They are indeed the flames of creation grin

sjupes Wed 10-Apr-13 09:46:33

My first dd covered me in them. I got none with ds. Dd2 has given me more. On my freaking back!!! Like up behind my hips i mean who gets them there??! Dd1 left no room for them on my belly but dd2 is inventive angry

The colour fades to silvery lines but the skin never heals sad

peacefuleasyfeeling Wed 10-Apr-13 17:09:16

Ah, the flames of creation! That's what I've got! I love it! grin

Floweryhat Wed 10-Apr-13 18:26:17

I 6think^ it's a quote from Kate Evans' book "The food of love", which is great smile

Springforward Wed 10-Apr-13 20:33:01

Flames of creation - marvellous!

CrackleMauve Wed 10-Apr-13 21:10:25

Listen to this poem and love those flames! http://holliemcnish.bandcamp.com/album/wow

CrackleMauve Wed 10-Apr-13 21:13:59

I always forget to click the convert box! holliemcnish.bandcamp.com/album/wow

I know this is a MN favourite already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now