Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thrush in pregnancy

(5 Posts)
Smitten1981 Tue 09-Apr-13 14:43:54

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and am being driven mental by thrush.

I was prescribed antibiotics 6 weeks ago for a UTI and a few days after I finished taking them I got thrush and I can't get rid of it.

I've taken a Canesten Pessary, I've been using the external cream every day since then as it's the only thing that stops the burning.

I went to the doctors and was prescribed three pessaries to use on consecutive nights and that didn't do anything either.

I've taken probiotic tablets, that didn't make a difference.

I went back to the doctors last week and I was told that I needed to have a swab done and sent away to make sure it was thrush that we were dealing with because it hasn't responded. But I have to wait a full week before the test comes back.

I'm really losing the will to live here, I'm sick of my bits feeling like they're on fire constantly.

Does anyone know what I can do to get shot of it?

LoganMummy Tue 09-Apr-13 14:49:04

Natural yoghurt?

Smitten1981 Tue 09-Apr-13 14:50:05

I don't think that gets rid of it, it'll probably do the same as the Canesten cream (not very much in my case).

festive Tue 09-Apr-13 15:11:08

Oh I feel your pain, I had this at 40 weeks also following a load of iv antibiotics in hospital at 38 weeks. Was also v worried about passing it to baby during birth as so close to due date (I didn't).
Stick with the pessaries and cream they work eventually but it took a good few days.
In the meantime try to cut out all sugar in your diet for the time being so there is nothing for it to feed on (so sugar in tea, fruit and fruit juices etc). Drink loads water. Eat loads probiotic yoghurt (natural not fruit flavour).
Showers instead of baths for now and I did a final rinse down there in freezing water to help soothe the itch!
Change your towels daily, iron your undies after washing to kill off anything lingering, wear loose cotton clothing no tights or leggings for a good few days.
Not sure which if any of this works but I was desperate and willing to try anything! Good luck x

TinkyPeet Tue 09-Apr-13 15:14:57

I find sudacrem works better than canisten for me x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now