Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Excess water (polyhydramnios) at 20 weeks

(4 Posts)
cib77 Tue 09-Apr-13 12:53:18

Really worried!

Just went in for my 2nd scan and it showed I had excess water. 2cm more than normal.

They said it was mild but after research online it seems there are some scary outcomes.

Anyone else had excess water at the half way stage and what were the outcomes?

McPheetStink Tue 09-Apr-13 19:45:58

Hi smile

Firstly, congratulations, and secondly please try and relax.
I had this during my pregnancy, and like you, did the whole google thing. STEP AWAY FROM GOOGLE!! My little girl was born perfectly healthy, and it was put down to 'just one of those things'. I was tested for diabetes as well, just incase that was a factor, which it wasn't in the end. I did get massive though, and very uncomfortable quite quickly, so just bare that in mind.

You should be offered extra scans to keep an eye on the fluid levels. Maybe talk to your midwife about this, if its not been mentioned.

Good luck, I'm sure all will be fine smile

phantomhairpuller Tue 09-Apr-13 19:49:38

I've got excess fluid. Am currently 37 weeks and other than being MASSIVE everything is fine! Had my last scan on Friday and baby is growing nicely wink try not to worry. And dont google any more shock

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 09-Apr-13 20:43:36

I have had polyhydramnios in all 3 of ny pregnancies with it being 'just one of those things'. They will probably do a few extra tests - GTT, TORCH test (think that's what its called, just bloods) and they might check baby's stomach and kidneys to see if baby is swallowing ok but they also might not. I agree, step away from Google - the vast vast majority of cases have no known cause.

It caused no extra issues with my first birth (just very wet!) and I'm planning a HB with this one so it doesn't always lead to complications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now