Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan question - potentially a bit stupid

(7 Posts)
MissLolita Tue 09-Apr-13 10:57:29

Hi, I'm having a mini panic - I have a scan booked this afternoon when I should be about 9+2 and I know I need a full bladder but does it matter whether I have been drinking clear fluid or not? Even typing this seems a but thick as I guess not but I am stressing about everything today!! Sorry if this is the stupidest question of the day!

SuffolkNWhat Tue 09-Apr-13 11:01:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MightBeMad Tue 09-Apr-13 11:02:13

No, it doesn't matter what you have been drinknig (usual recommendations on caffeine and alcohol aside! grin They will likely try a transabdominal scan first (for which the full bladder is a good idea as it pushes the uterus up and makes it easier to scan), but if they can't get a good picture, as they often can't at the very early stages of pregnancy, they will probably offer you a transvaginal scan (internal). If you have the internal scan they will ask you to empty your bladder at that point (and give you time to go to the nearest loo!). Good luck for your scan!

photographerlady Tue 09-Apr-13 11:04:02

I was told no fizzy drinks. Good luck if you are going for a private scan they sometimes start with a external, let you empty your bladder and do an internal

MissLolita Tue 09-Apr-13 11:05:44

Thank you! I am in a general state of panic today!

RJM17 Tue 09-Apr-13 12:23:03

I was told no fizzy drinks and no milk x

Haylebop12 Tue 09-Apr-13 12:33:43

Yep avoid fizzy drinks as they cause a haze over the image. I also have a scan today and struggling as fizzy pop and tea are the only drinks that taste ok sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now