Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dry mouth at 15 weeks is this normal?

(9 Posts)
Stitch230204 Tue 09-Apr-13 08:38:20

This is my 3rd pregnancy and it has been so unlike my last 2. I have suffered no morning sickness with this one and i am experiencing symptoms i havent before. My main problem is at night when i fall asleep i wake up with such a dry mouth its like sandpaper. I take water with me to bed every night and i fill my glass 3-4 times maybe more sometimes as i cant quench my thirst. By the morning i have a sore throat and a dry tongue. Im losing sleep because of it and its so frustrating as i cant seem to do anything about it. I am taking aspirin as in my first pregnancy i had pre-eclampsia. But with my second i was taking this too and i didnt suffer with dry mouth and a a sore throat. Any help will be a blessing as im getting quite frustrated smile

Pizdets Tue 09-Apr-13 09:16:48

I can't guarantee it's normal but I'm 15+5 today and have had it for the last few days too. Literally drinking pints and pints of water/juice and my mouth seems to start drying out if I don't have a drink for half an hour. I'm not even really hungry at the moment, just want to drink or eat nice juicy things (total opposite to the first trimester when all I wanted was dry biscuits, dry toast, dry rice cakes). I'm sure I read that pregnant women have loads more blood in their system than usual, so I think it makes sense to go through thirsty phases if you're producing more blood?

Sure someone will be along with a more expert opinion soon but wanted to reassure you you're not alone.

Piz

wispa31 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:28:20

im 20wks and have noticed this last couple of weeks too!! bloody annoying! tap water i find is the worst thing, i usually always have evian in the house as tastes nicer even when not pg and no nasties in. but this week has been the worst, constantly needing to drink or munch on juicy fruit or lollies.

Pinkbump3 Tue 09-Apr-13 12:33:07

Me too its driving me nuts!! And it's so dry I can't even swallow it brings on my morning sickness. I can't quench my thirst at all either the other day travelling from a long journey I had to stop car run into tesco and grab a huge carton of fresh orange juice as I was so thirsty I was walking out store drinking it lol people must have thought what is she all about but I had to do it haha! X

MammaCici Tue 09-Apr-13 18:48:34

Could it be that you have pregnancy rhinitis (stuffy nasal passages)? I have it this time and didn't have it last pregnancy. It means I'm breathing through my mouth a lot when I sleep. And because the humidity is low in my house my throat dries out. My previous pregnancy was a summer pregnancy so I'm putting some of the different symptoms down to the time of year. I live in Sweden and the seasons are more pronounced here. Of course, I'm just guessing.

lexib Tue 09-Apr-13 19:49:53

Isn't that a side effect of increased progesterone? I have it too, could drink for Britain right now (but no tea, bizarrely, just cold liquids)

atrcts Tue 09-Apr-13 19:58:11

Are you needing to pee a lot as well? It could be gestational diabetes (resolves after giving birth).

It might be worth really upping your intake during the day, mornings especially, and see if that helps. You're likely to need more fluids during pregnancy but of course the more caffeine you have the more you dehydrate (as well as need to pee!) so it needs to be mostly decaf.

If you're concerned all it would take is a dipstick of urine to check your sugars, and I'm sure no midwife or GP would mind sparing you that.

JanieLovesCake Tue 09-Apr-13 20:40:56

oh you poor think. i feel your pain...although i'm only 7+5, i have been waking up and my teeth are actually stuck to my lips. i had a bit of a chesty cold bug so hoping it was that as it's beginning to subside, but still am drinking litres of water and juice every day.
hope you get it sorted x

Stitch230204 Tue 09-Apr-13 21:49:57

Thank you for all responding smile I am going to the midwife tomorow just to get my urine checked as i found out today that my nan had type 2 diabetes weather or not this is related to pregnancy diabetes i am unsure of. However for peace of mind i would like it checked. I dont alot of caffeine but i have completely stopped now to try and help myself. The only symptoms i seem to have are a very dry mouth even though im drinking so much and im very tired all the time however i think im tired as im not sleeping properly for being so dry! Will let you all know how i get on thank you again for all your responses smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now