Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Travelling at 34 & 35 weeks alone

(9 Posts)
ButteryJam Mon 08-Apr-13 13:01:49

Hi,

I'm thinking of driving alone a distance of around 4 hours at 34 weeks and returning at 35 weeks. I'm planning to take my notes and hospital bag with me in the boot. Has anyone this? Is this too risky?

Would driving long distance at this stage be too uncomfortable/bad for me? Should I get the train instead and just take hospital notes with me? Its my 1st so I'm pretty unsure.

Thanks flowers

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Mon 08-Apr-13 13:21:55

You'll probably be fine. Depends a lot on your pregnancy so far. With dc1 I could have done this easily, currently pg with dc2 and have shocking spd and struggle to drive for more than 20 mins.

Take regular breaks to reduce risk of DVT. Take a list of hospitals along the route as well as at your destination so you're never far from help.

Personally, I'd book a train ticket early, so it's cheap, and then choose to drive later if I felt up to it.

JBrd Mon 08-Apr-13 13:26:49

I'd say it'll really depends on how your pregnancy goes, you won't know until you get to that point! I did a 2-3h car journey when pg with DS at 37 weeks and felt fine.

Agree with HP, take your notes with you, make sure you take regular brakes and stay well hydrated, maybe even consider wearing compression socks (which I would anyway, regardless of the form of transport) and consider alternatives to driving.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 08-Apr-13 13:38:20

Whereas I found a 4 hour car journey awful at 29 weeks! (Might have been a reflection on DH's driving though!). You might be more comfortable on the train since you can get up and move around. How far along are you now? Do you have to decide right away?

ButteryJam Mon 08-Apr-13 13:43:14

I'm 33 weeks now and thinking of driving down next week. I'm feeling fine and feel I'd be fine driving.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 08-Apr-13 13:48:30

Then I reckon you'll be ok. Just make sure you plan a couple of rest breaks and take plenty of food and drinks to keep you going!

ButteryJam Tue 09-Apr-13 06:19:43

Having, thank you! smile

VodIsGod Tue 09-Apr-13 07:58:28

I did a 2.5 car journey on my own when I was 40+9 shock. I was miserable and bored and I went to see a friend for the day, she really cheered me up (as I cried into my lunch about induction). My pregnancy had been very smooth tho and I felt comfortable driving. Admittedly I started having contractions on the way home but it was a slow first labour and I thought they were BH. DS was born the following evening. grin

I think if you feel happy, safe and comfortable then that's all that matters. Take your notes, make sure your nearest and dearest know of your journey's progress and perhaps find out about hospitals near to your destination just in case.

Have a good trip

MyNameIsAnAnagram Tue 09-Apr-13 12:45:25

I did a 2hr each way jouney in a day on Sunday at 35 weeks, was fine. Didn't even occur to me to take my notes tbh. We are doing a 6hr each way journey as a family this weekend as well.

If you are fit and healthy, no spd etc then it will be fine. Just allow extra time for all the wee stops ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now