Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Things that have been stored in the loft.

(13 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Mon 08-Apr-13 12:51:17

Is just a normal 40 deg non bio wash ok for clothes and Moses basket lining etc that have been stored for a couple of years in the loft? Or should I do a biological wash then a non-bio wash? Or hotter? What do you think?

What about bottles? Should I buy new bottles or teats or will a good wash in a dishwasher and sterilising be ok?

Thanks

NoTeaForMe Mon 08-Apr-13 14:19:12

Bump!

cyclecamper Mon 08-Apr-13 14:36:04

With bottles, I would check the condition of them and if they look ok, give them a wash and a sterilise and they will be fine. Check the teats carefully as the holes can stretch and tear so they a more likely to need replacing.

A 40 degree non bio wash should be fine for most things - you are likely to only be washing dust out.

Poledra Mon 08-Apr-13 14:40:08

Normal wash for the clothes, as long as they have been dry and not damp at all.

I ditched the teats, as I didn't think they felt 'nice' after being in storage for so long, but I dish-washed and sterilised the bottles.

NoTeaForMe Mon 08-Apr-13 14:50:58

Ah, I just checked the bottles etc, the box lid hadn't closed properly and I don't know if a couple were put in there a bit damp or something but one has gone a bit black mildewy and a couple have white marks on them. Damn it...do I need to throw all of them then?! I know the answers yes really!

stargirl1701 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:57:16

Yes. I think so.

Snowflakepie Mon 08-Apr-13 16:37:22

Anything to do with feeding that looks suspect, I would ditch. The teats can perish anyway and lofts are more prone to extremes of temperature than the main house. Clothing would be fine at 40, again unless there were signs of mould in which case I think I would ditch that too. I've just got our clothes down after 3 years in cardboard boxes and they all seem fine, once they warmed up a bit lol!

Poledra Mon 08-Apr-13 16:40:59

Yep, I'd ditch them too, I'm afraid.

TinkyPeet Mon 08-Apr-13 17:28:25

Deffo ditch the bottles! You can always scour ebay etc for new sealed bottles at lower prices than boots' rediculous price tags!
Clothes should be fine on a normal wash, once they have been worn once you will wash them normally anyway so they will get the same amount of 'cleaning' x

SevenReasonsToSmile Mon 08-Apr-13 17:40:54

I'd get some Napisan for the clothes, in the baby aisle in the supermarket. It's non-bio but kills germs even on a 30 wash.

NoTeaForMe Mon 08-Apr-13 17:43:00

Ok, you're all confirming what I knew about the bottles! Can I really get sealed brand new bottles off eBay? I'll have a look! Thanks for that!

Glad to know clothes will be fine on a normal wash-none are damp/smelly etc all seem fine!

MiaowTheCat Mon 08-Apr-13 18:07:00

It's supermarket baby event season as well with the bottles - Tescos has theirs going now, Asda's starts 22nd April... usually some decent bottle-system starter sets going in those.

NoTeaForMe Mon 08-Apr-13 19:53:37

Ooh, thanks Miaow I'll keep my eyes peeled on those two aswell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now