Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Painting when pregnant

(14 Posts)
harry78 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:14:04

Hi all. I have just found out I am 4 weeks gone smile. Our house is in the middle of renovation. My question is what are people's thoughts about painting and decorating when pregnant? My fear is if I can't do it, it just won't get done!

joiemecconue Sun 07-Apr-13 23:00:28

congratulations smile mind if I join you? 9 weeks tomorrow and also in the middle of a bomb site renovations

Rockchick1984 Sun 07-Apr-13 23:18:38

Ideally avoid it, if not possible use non toxic paint and keep areas incredibly well ventilated.

YummyDollie Sun 07-Apr-13 23:21:35

I'm 39 weeks and have been painting the whole house and nursery since around 21 weeks and am fine as is baby I'd say just make sure you take plenty of breaks from the fumes and ensure the windows of the room your painting are open to provide ventilation, go steady using ladders and stuff too!

AnythingNotEverything Sun 07-Apr-13 23:21:58

The NHS advises you avoid until 14 weeks as a precaution, as this is the time when organs etc are developing.

I'm nearly 13 weeks and have decorated two rooms already. I'm not concerned, although I'm pretty laid back.

Open extra windows. You'll be fine.

sailingmummy Sun 07-Apr-13 23:36:19

I'm an Art teacher....when I was pregnant, teaching 6th formers who were using oil paints and white spirit did make me feel a but weird - just the smell of the white spirit made me feel a bit sicky, but all was ok! My children are perfectly normal...

harry78 Mon 08-Apr-13 07:38:03

Cool! Thanks everyone. I painted a room yesterday and suddenly thought should I be doing this? I think I'll delegate for a while and get back to it as baby gets bigger. Thanks for the help...

RunningBear78 Mon 08-Apr-13 09:48:29

We're in the middle of major 'redecorating' too. Use low fume, water based paints where you can and open the windows. Farrow and Ball paints are great - they may be expensive, but the colours and quality of the paint is amazing, and they don't smell at all. Also, take extra care up ladders, and rest a lot too, it is surprisingly hard work!

stickermadkid Mon 08-Apr-13 09:51:44

Dh just decorated the bathroom and it stinks.. MIl's tip is to cut an onion in half and put in in the room it absorbs the smell.

Ariel21 Mon 08-Apr-13 09:56:33

I'm a set designer and can't work without painting/glueing/woodworking. Wonder if I should be doing this? Am only 6 1/2 weeks. Try and paint in well ventilated areas etc, but not sure if this is enough. Long hours and heavy lifting too - joy oh joy!

Reiltin Mon 08-Apr-13 10:11:35

We just finished doing up our bedroom. I wore a mask as a pre-caution, which made painting less comfortable but me happier!

rosiedays Mon 08-Apr-13 11:36:22

i just moved into a flat that was suposed to have been decorated before we moved... it wasn't!!! spent the first 3 days painting everything (at 24 weeks) just left the top cutting in for DH to do as didn't want to climb or overstrech! (still waithing for DH to finish it and fully expect to do it after baby is here!!! grin )

Bejeena Mon 08-Apr-13 11:51:10

Congratulations first of all!

At 4 weeks I didn't even know I was pregnant and had no symptons at all and would have been the same. I was 6 weeks when we found out and from about week 7 I started to feel quite sick so apart from the smell putting me off I wouldn't have felt like doing DIY and painting even if I wanted to. So you might find this happens and you have to delegate to your husband, but you might not.

I don't think any fumes from paint or such things can damage the baby, might just make you feel a bit sick that is all. But you might be lucky and not have sickness.

harry78 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:32:47

I think I am just nest building and want to feel like I'm doing something...maybe I'll try and do the non painting things for a bit, and see how it goes. I might have to write OH lots of to do lists!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now