Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to clean second hand items for baby

(8 Posts)
Cheesegloriouscheese Sun 07-Apr-13 12:32:21

Hi Ladies, I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post but I need some advice on cleaning second hand baby items.

I have a moses basket from my sister which is in great condition but has been in the loft for a couple of years since my niece used it. I've given it a hoover and left it to air in the sun. Is that enough to clean it?

I thought about using a damp cloth but worried about the wicker getting mouldy if it gets damp. I have a new mattress and have washed the bedding my sister has given me so it's just the basket itself I'm not sure how to clean.

I also have a bouncy chair, again from my sister in great condition but not used for a couple of years so I'm wondering how to clean.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. PS - I don't have a steam cleaner.

cyclecamper Sun 07-Apr-13 12:38:59

Depending on the make, you may be able to remove the cover on the bouncy chair (the wire bits come apart) and you can wash it then.

Detox used to do do a surface spray (I don't know if they still do) that you could use sparingly on the moses basket, but I should think a good airing will probably be fine. smile

worsestershiresauce Sun 07-Apr-13 12:46:04

You could also try the Dettol surface wipes. They clean and disinfect without being too wet.

VerySmallSqueak Sun 07-Apr-13 12:53:30

That sounds fine for the moses basket.
I would just sponge the bouncy chair with a mild solution of non bio washing powder and warm (not hot) water,then rinse with clear water and leave to dry.If there are no marks on it,a hoover and quick wipe with a damp cloth will be enough.

Cheesegloriouscheese Sun 07-Apr-13 17:31:32

Thanks all! That's really useful. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow smile

Msbluesky32 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:56:44

I bought some Milton wipes for the change mat etc, they might do the trick. They are fast drying, antibacterial and don't leave a whiff.

LoganMummy Sun 07-Apr-13 20:56:54

I've just got our pram carrycot down from the loft and used our steam mop (well, the clothes steamer attachment part) to clean it. Could you try something like that?

Quak Sun 07-Apr-13 21:06:31

You could always dry the moses basket with a hairdryer once you've soaped it down; to get all the excess water off. Then keep it right by a radiator and turn it now and again to make sure it dries out well. I always think you can't beat a good soapy water wash with used items. I feel it's better than a chemical wash! But it depends on its condition I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now