Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32 weeks plus - things to do with PGP/SPD

(7 Posts)
krankykitty Sun 07-Apr-13 11:33:12

Have had PGP since 16 weeks, now 32 weeks and haven't had a night's sleep in that time. It feels manageable during the day, depending on what I'm doing, but the night times are hell. Never had pain like it. On crutches but they are more for trying to keep the hips stable, I use them when going out and about but not around my (admittedly tiny) apartment.

I'm beginning to feel a bit down in the dumps. this is my first baby and I thought that this time would be for doing all the independent things I won't be able to do as much when baby comes, and also to enjoy our last time alone as a couple.

I've been signed off work now (it was suggested since about 25 weeks but I've managed to get through until now. Just wondering if anyone else had any good tips for things to do especially with others that might make the next two months more enjoyable? I am already an expert at the telly box set/knitting/reading general relaxing stuff!

thanks

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Sun 07-Apr-13 11:54:52

Very frustrating isn't it!

I'm 39+2 and have been off work since 26 weeks with pgp. I'm usually very active and have a 2 year old to look after, so I fully understand your frustration.

If finances allow then a spa day can be lovely, or just swimming (avoiding breaststroke of course). Otherwise just do something you can focus on that doesn't involve moving (learn new language, sort out all birthday gifts for next 6 months (buy online and wrap), sort tax return etc).

I'm sure you'll have tried this at night, but my tips would be to put a thick duvet under the sheet to give cushioning, lie on side with pillow between legs (must be right size to keep hips in neutral, I use 2 pillow in 1 case after much experimenting). And save some paracetamol for when you go to bed.

If you're having a good day, use a birth ball to strengthen core muscles but again keep your legs in neutral (not easy!). Pilates also good if experienced instructor, though not feasible for me with toddler!.

Good luck, hope it gets no worse for you. Just keep focusing on the fact that 90% of women are completely back to normal within 3 months of giving birth - it's the only thing that's kept me going!

krankykitty Sun 07-Apr-13 12:08:44

Thanks HPsauce, I don't know how you are doing it with a toddler! It is hard enough looking after myself at this stage. Did you have it with your first as well?

I've tried the pillow/duvet stuff, nothing seems to really give any relief, lying on my side just ends up in horrible muscle spasms and hip that feels like it is being torn out of me. I was in pilates earlier on but it was making me worse so I had to stop.

I think it's just the sleep deprivation because of pain that's the worst thing. At least I know though when the baby comes I will be able to cope with that - it can't be as bad as pregnancy (can it shock ) My rationale is that there will be less pain and others to share in the sleeplessness!

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Sun 07-Apr-13 12:29:12

No, didn't have it with my first (or maybe mildly in last few weeks with hindsight) or DS would have been an only!! It is hard with a toddler, but they are unforgiving creatures and make you get up every day and just get on with life, so there are positives too.

Even with DS, who was a "high needs" baby (fed for an hour, slept for 45 mins, fed again.... all night) I never felt as bad or as truly exhausted as I did when pregnant. This baby is 3/5 engaged and I wake to pee every hour at night (getting out of bed that often with pgp is NOT fun as you can imagine). There is no way a newborn will be close to this bad!

The thing is, even if you're tired and still in pain, you'll have this amazingly beautiful baby who you love with a depth you don't yet know is even possible. Just watching them breathe will make your heart explode. This love, that grows with every day you hold them is worth every minute of this pain, I promise. Hang on in there.

Whitewineformeplease Sun 07-Apr-13 12:51:23

Hi OP, I had severe SPD during my pregnancy, I was the same, crawling the walls by the end! I remember i made lots of lists! One good thing though, was when I had DD, I didn't have any baby blues, I was so happy to finally be pain free and able to move about that nothing in those first few weeks got me down! grin

Think about the birth though, I had an epidural and forgot to be careful with my legs when pushing, as I couldn't feel anything. I ended up aggravating it, and was in a bit of pain afterwards. Once you see your beautiful little baby it will be all worth it!

krankykitty Sun 07-Apr-13 21:38:35

Its good to hear that things get better after birth, I always chuckle when I think I'm looking forward to a "rest" when the baby is here smile At least there will be others to share in the burden then anyway.

That's a good point about the birth. I don't think I could separate my legs far enough for it to happen without having an epidural! But as you say that can also make things worse. I'm probably having an elcs for a couple of other reasons anyway.

Just need to keep the old spirits up for the next while!

Whitewineformeplease Mon 08-Apr-13 02:00:58

Maybe a good box set of something to get stuck into? Daytime TV is the absolute pits, it actually made me more depressed I think! Something you've always meant to watch? Like the West Wing, or 24 or something? Also the sorting out pressies for birthdays for the coming year is a great idea, I wish I'd done that. All my friends and family are getting used to a hastily scribbled card in the post two weeks late at this stage!

Do remember to move around though, I found that I got so stiff and sore if I sat for long periods, so a bit of a gentle walk on a flat surface can be good. Do lots of pelvic floor exercises, you can do them lying on your back, with a cushion in between your bent knees. I also spent a lot of time in the shower doing some stretching exercises. After the birth, no pushing the pram or a shopping trolley for a while, even if you feel better. Apparently it can affect your pelvis going back into position. I also went to a physio afterwards for a few weeks and that really helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now