Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried about losing job while on maternity leave

(3 Posts)
Queazy Sun 07-Apr-13 09:47:37

Hi

I have my performance review with my boss tomorrow and really worried. I got a rating that means I'm high-performing in November, but I'm sure I'm going to be marked down for stuff that has happened since. Coupled with this, the volume of work has meant I'm working 55-60 hour weeks and just can't do it all to a high quality. I think the wider team will be restructured while I'm on maternity leave (due to a wider org redesign) and I feel worried that a) they're not going to replace me while on maternity leave, and b) I won't have a job to come back to. The first one is pretty much a certainty due to a recruitment freeze.

The environment is hugely political and I'm finding myself counting down the remaining weeks until I go on mat leave (20 weeks now) but so worried as I need a job to go back to. I've only been there 16 months and wish I'd never left my old company now.

I'm not sleeping (mix of hormones, toilet trips and worry!!) and just wanted to get thoughts on how hard it is to find alternative work after maternity leave, preferably part-time? I know I should just enjoy my pregnancy but worried about not having a job to pay the bills. I worked so hard to get a promotion to my current role and scared I'll take a massive pay cut and step back from here.

Thanks all for your help

Rockchick1984 Sun 07-Apr-13 10:07:52

Have you looked into employment laws - it's incredibly difficult for them to get rid of you while on maternity leave particularly if you return within 6 months rather than taking additional maternity leave. Are you in a union? If not it may be worth joining now - if an issue arose you would have some support, and most will reduce fees when on maternity leave.

Queazy Sun 07-Apr-13 10:36:12

Thanks so much for replying rockchick. My organisation isn't unionised and I'm really keen not to go back after six months as I commute into London. I know that's my choice but its something I've always wanted to stick to - 9/10 months if at all possible. I work in HR and they can offer me alternative jobs of the same level after 6 months, but its unlikely they'll be anything suitable as I work in a niche area. I definitely need to start reading up on this though. Thanks again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now