Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shoulder dystocia with ds1, pg with dc3, feel concerned being fobbed off

(9 Posts)
AnotherTeacherMum Sat 06-Apr-13 21:02:43

Hi. If there are any MWs/ docs out there who could hive me a bit of perspective I would be really grateful.

I had a shoulder dystocia with ds1 who was 9 lb 12.5 (4450g). Before I started pushing the MW dissappeared twice to try and find a doc and pushed me to have an epidural (my thoughts are that she was trying to arrange a C section and there was no doctor available to aprove this- it was the middle of the night realy busy) Although my medical notes say it was a minor SD the MWs had 4 failed attempts with one applying pressure to bump and one using ventouse. Eventually obstetrician delivered by doing a huge episiotomy and using forceps. DS was taken away initilly but brought back and given calpol as sore but OK. I haemorraged (didn't need transfusion) and took months to heal. But he was OK smile.

When I was pg with dd I was put under consultant care, offered a C- section but decided against this and agreed with consultant that I would not go over due date without being induced, and would have a low threshold in labour for c- section (ie at any sign of labour stalling would be transferred for c-section). In tye end she was a far smaller baby (6lb 15) and was delivered normally.

I am now pg with dc3 (ds2) and when I booked in was told by the midwife that they would leave me to deliver vaginally but with the same precautions as dd (consultant led care, not to go over due date, low threshold for C section in labour). Yesterday I had my 20 week scan and consultant appt. Except it wasn't the consultant, it was a more junior doc which would be fine in itself.

He went through my history and told I was low risk, didn't need any extra precautions and didn't need consultant led care so he would refer me back to MW led care, no testing for gest. diabetes, no growth scan, so induction if I went over 40 weeks. I queried this and he said that as my ds was only 4450g not 4500g or over I was not considered to have had a big baby. 10g! I am 5' 4" and when not pg weight about 10 stone- this is a big baby for me! DH is 6' 2" broad built and big babies (10lb+) run in his family.

I am now really worried. My delivery with my son was really traumatic and there was a serious risk my son could have been injured. what makes it worse is that the consultant's spoken English was really hard to understand.

I hve decided to phone the midwives as hospital tomorrow to queery this care plan and let them know that I feel it is inadequate and to note my concerns on my medical records.

Do I have any rights beyond this???

Sorry post is so long

AnotherTeacherMum Sat 06-Apr-13 21:07:42

Forgot to mention that I found the doctor quite patronising- he basically suggested that keeping an eye on the baby's size is not good, because the woman gets anxious and can't labour well. If you know you have had a SD I think you are going to be anxious about it anyway!

AnotherTeacherMum Sat 06-Apr-13 21:09:35

doh! it's no 10g difference is it! in my defence it's late and been a busy day smile

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Sat 06-Apr-13 22:21:09

I have no personal experience but wouldn't hesitate in asking for a second opinion. It is your right to do so, inform the Midwife you were not happy and would like to speak to a Consutant.

You feel patronised, fobbed off and understandably anxious and should push to have this resolved. It doesn't sound right to me that the DR you saw hasn't done the tests you would expect or made any plans for ongoing care. He has cut his Consultant's list down though hasn't he? I don't think it's cynical to point that out.

Good luck with the Midwives.

Lionsntigersnbears Sat 06-Apr-13 22:52:38

What an arse! Ask to be re-referred to another consultant. No reason you have to put up with that.

CreatureRetorts Sat 06-Apr-13 22:55:17

You didn't see the consultant so try and get an appointment with them. I'd be worried and want the birth plan to be managed properly.

AnotherTeacherMum Sun 07-Apr-13 08:12:38

Thanks for the replies. I guess I just wanted to check I wasn't being over- cautious. I am going to phone the MW at the hospital tomorrow morning and ask for a second opinion. I will try and be a bit more forceful about what I want to happen. I wasn't on Friday as it caught me by surprise that the doctor just didn't take it seriously, I was expecting him to just tell when the various investigations would be and what they would involve.

(Also notes to self that I MUST start proof reading my posts, especially given my screen name... blush)

Does anyone know what your legal rights are in terms of insisting that certain things happen in your birth plan?

It really does seem to be down to the individual doctor's ideas given that last time I was offered a c-section at the outset and this time not even if labour stalls.

toastandmarmiterocks Sun 07-Apr-13 08:35:44

You have every right to choose your care plan. Contact your midwife to talk it through with her then reschedule consultant appointment.
Make sure they document everything.

CreatureRetorts Sun 07-Apr-13 09:34:30

Pull out the NICE guidelines - they should help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now