Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness - when is it bad enough to ask for mediocation?

(13 Posts)
Echocave Sat 06-Apr-13 19:14:44

I'm only 7 weeks but for a fortnight have had quite bad MS. I'm sick only once or twice a day but I'm finding it very hard to eat or drink much.
Last pregnancy, I had fairly mild ms but this is much worse. My cheeks are constantly watering and nothing I do seems to help.
I'm sure this isn't considered serious MS but I feel horrible and if the pregnancy continues ok (fingers crossed), I'm worried that I have at least another month or more of this. Would a dr/mw prescribe anti nausea medication?

rrreow Sat 06-Apr-13 19:27:54

Only you know how you feel and how you're coping. I was pretty nauseous to the point where I couldn't do anything. I wasn't sick though. I had to go to the gp twice to convince them I was serious but got prescribed something to help with the sickness.

TiredFeet Sat 06-Apr-13 19:35:39

Good question. I am wondering the same, last time I couldn't even keep water down at all, so there was no question. This time its not quite as bad yet but I am sick 5-10 times a day and can't keep any food down.

I think I will try and get medication soon, hopefully they will agree! There is no harm in speaking to dr about it and asking for some I figure.

Echocave Sat 06-Apr-13 19:37:12

Crikey tiredfeet, that sounds horrible. Poor you. I'd definitely ask in that situation.

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Apr-13 19:48:05

Only you can tell how bad you feel. I had hyperemisis in both my pg, and the drs seemed to diagnose this based on if i had ketones in my wee (to do with not eating enough and burning all my glycogen stores or something like that), and how dehydrated I was. I would ask for medication if you can't function fairly normally, can't keep water down, can't keep.much food down, can't look after children, can't sleep.

Have a look also at Pregnancy Sickness Support

Echocave Sat 06-Apr-13 20:02:53

Hmm it's a good point. I can hardly prepare dc's food and if I smell cooked food I'm sick. It is quite debilitating as I feel very worn out.

cupcake78 Sat 06-Apr-13 20:24:28

I didn't get meds until I was being sick 8-10 times a day and unable to do anything as a result.

nethunsreject Sat 06-Apr-13 21:27:27

If you can't function, then meds might be a good idea. If you can still struggle on, maybe less useful? Hope you feel better soon, it's grim!

Thurlow Sat 06-Apr-13 21:53:53

It's definitely worth going and talking about it. Everyone's MS is different too. For example, I went when I was throwing up 8-10 times a day and had never felt so awful in my life, but on the meds I went down to 2-3 times a day - and I felt able to cope then, I could still get some food down and did ok. But I know someone who only threw up 1-2 times a day, but her actual nausea was so bad she probably ate less than I did.

If you feel you are struggling and not being able to eat and everything in your life is suffering because of it then it is worth asking to try something. 7-14 is, I think, the worst time, so you can always just take something for a few weeks to get through the bad time.

Hope you feel better soon.

TiredFeet Sun 07-Apr-13 22:17:38

well I am in hospital now. Went to dr and I had v high ketones, and this after only a few days heavy vomiting. Had an inection and now on drip no2 pretty fed up and missing my boy but at least I have stopped being sick and am about to try a sandwich smile good luck the rest of you and please go and get checked out if you are struggling

Echocave Mon 08-Apr-13 13:26:50

TiredFeet you poor thing! I'm really glad you're being looked after. I really hope they can stabilise your condition so you can get back home.

To everyone else, thank you for the excellent advice. It's put it into context how ill some others have felt. I can just about manage if I make myself eat and drink as frequently as possible. The less I eat the worse I feel.

Best wishes to all

BikeRunSki Mon 08-Apr-13 14:51:01

TiredFeet, EchoCave and everyone, there 's a thread in the Pregnancy Topic called "Hyperemisis Support ", which you might like..The class of 2011 were lovely to me.

TiredFeet Mon 08-Apr-13 15:40:44

Thanks bikerunski will go look for it

echocave how are you feeling? Hope you are managing to keep enough down. Do talk to gp/midwife if you are struggling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now