Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

healthy, low effort meals/snacks?

(14 Posts)
Notmyidea Sat 06-Apr-13 14:30:31

right, my existing offspring have been dispatched for the week and I get to flop. (38 weeks)
I'm finding it hard to find the energy or motivation to cook though. Give me some ideas, please?!

WhatILoved Sat 06-Apr-13 15:06:10

Beans on toast
Omelette
Pasta with cherry tomatoes and Brocolli (just add the brocolli in with pasta when boiling)
An avocado?

Notmyidea Sat 06-Apr-13 15:15:33

yummy! Thankssmile

Msbluesky32 Sat 06-Apr-13 18:12:06

These might end up bring a little random as I'm 39+5 and having some strange interests in food of late...

Jacket potato with cheese/beans/tuna and mayo/tuna and sweetcorn and mayo
Sardines on toast
Hummus and warmed up falafals with salad (sweet potato falafals from waitrose are lush if you have on nearby)
Fish finger sandwich with mayo and any salad items
Beetroot soup with a huge hunk of brown bread

Now I'm hungry .....

Msbluesky32 Sat 06-Apr-13 18:13:42

I mean chunk of brown bread, but assuming a hunk would be welcome too! smile

MumfordandDaughter Sat 06-Apr-13 18:19:02

You can batch cook on one of your more energetic days and then just defrost what you need. I love to do this with soups.

Otherwise...

Toasties
Beans on toast
Scrambled egg
Pasta and salad
Micro rice with sauce
Humous and breadsticks
Crackers and cheese
Crackers and Philadelphia
Pasta and Philadelphia
Baked potato and Philadelphia (i love the stuff!)
Club sandwiches
Porridge
Bagel and filling

Or you could try making one of these. They're delish!

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1897714/melon-and-crunchy-bran-pots

In fact, have a browse through that site. Quite good for filtering down to recipes with short prep times and low cals.

MammaCici Sat 06-Apr-13 19:01:55

Chicken breast served with whole grain couscous and a salad of finely chopped vine tomatoes, cucumber, yellow pepper, red onion, drained pack of black beans (or chickpeas), fresh coriander. Lemon juice for dressing and some sour cream on the side.

Keep any left over salad (keeps better without the lemon juice) and have it in pita bread with falafels.

thethreeblondies Sat 06-Apr-13 19:38:29

A spag bol with quorn mince, mince and jar sauce take same time as the spaghetti xx

Notmyidea Sat 06-Apr-13 20:07:05

thanks all. Falafel and salad is just what I've been fancying. I just couldn't think of it!

TinkyPeet Sat 06-Apr-13 20:11:52

I love 'scrambled omelettes'! Big bowl with your egg in and whatever else, I like mushrooms, red onion, yellow pepper, cheese and sometimes some ham, chuck it all in, loads of black pepper, microwave, toast, massive mug of tea. Job done in ten minutes with minimal effort! X you can chuck in whatever u want and it's scrummy x

MumfordandDaughter Sat 06-Apr-13 21:09:55

Oh, sounds great, Tinky. How long would you microwave for?

I have a fear of eggs being undercooked and me poisoning myself... blush

TinkyPeet Sat 06-Apr-13 22:55:09

Same as you would do scrambled egg Hun just keep checking and storing x

MammaCici Sun 07-Apr-13 06:46:00

Are you able to get pasteurised eggs where you live? One less thing to worry about. Mind you I still tend to cook them well.
I know cooked cheeses are all supposed to be safe but I'm afraid I'll get a bit that didn't quite reach the temperature needed so still avoid them. Especially in restaurants where there is no control to cook them for longer. When you read about the potential consequences it just doesn't seem worth it. That said, I've never heard of anyone it actually happening to.

TinkyPeet Sun 07-Apr-13 21:58:44

Kind of hard to not notice an undercooked scrambled egg though, it's still liquid if not cooked.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now