Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bad vomiting bug

(9 Posts)
mouseymummy Sat 06-Apr-13 09:39:37

I seem to have caught a rather nasty vomiting bug off dd1... She's thrown up once and now seems to be fine

However, I am not.... Been sick 4 times during the night. Decided to try some water this morning and it's come straight back up again, dh suggested drinking milk, I didn't even finish the half glass before I'd thrown it all back up! I've also tried some toast. Can't keep food down either.

My throat is hurting, I'm meant to be settling dd2 for a nap as she did not sleep last night and I've already had to put her down to go dry heave in the loo because I've got nothing left.

Is there anything I can do to take away the feeling of being sick?

Anyone any ideas of what to try to get rid of this? Normally I'd starve myself for 24 hours and just drink but I'm 11+6 so there's no way I can not eat!! Normally by this time I've probably had 3 or 4 slices of toast and some fruit.... Ok talking about food is making me want to vomit again...

Anyone got any ideas??

fanjodisfunction Sat 06-Apr-13 09:43:32

Try keeping the water down first, drink it through a straw and take tiny little sips. If you keep it down then try later on this afternoon, dry toast but only little bits. You won't starve. Just stay well clear of the dairy!

EugenesAxe Sat 06-Apr-13 09:52:50

Rehydration salts I think often go a long way towards actually purging your body of the bugs, as well as rehydrating you. Try a sip every ten minutes or something?

As fanjodis has said... sorry. I also agree about avoiding fat, and fruit like kiwi and strawberries.

BRAT is worth remembering... bananas, rice, apple puree, toast.

Bunnychan Sat 06-Apr-13 09:58:08

I had a sickness bug at the same point in my pregnancy as you. Unfortunately I had to not eat as when I did, I just threw it back up- even dry toast! I was told to take a few sips of water every hour or so and to be honest, the only thing I could do was sleep to get over it. Hope you feel better soon: at least this bug will probably be gone as quickly as it came! X

mouseymummy Sat 06-Apr-13 10:05:28

Thank you all, I'm going to get another glass of water and a straw and see how that goes... Dd2 just wont settle now and dd1 is off to her dads in a bit so I'm going to hope dd2 will have some food and settle down for a nap with me later on.

This dry heaving is really starting to hurt now... I hate being sick and thought I'd done so well to avoid morning sickness so far sad

Bunnychan Sat 06-Apr-13 10:09:29

On another note, I had a lot of crampy aches from the bug & the dry heaving. The doctor said it was fine to take paracetamol even on an empty stomache x

craftycottontail Sat 06-Apr-13 10:30:17

Really hope you feel better soon!

I had a vomiting bug a few weeks ago, was sick 19 times between 2pm and midnight! It was horrendous. But baby was absolutely fine and kicking away merrily, despite me getting so weak and dehydrated that I had to go to A&E for a saline drip and anti-sickness meds.

Try the rehydration sachets - they taste horrible but little sips of that is easier to keep down than water. (Or squash - the bit of sugar means your body absorbs it better than plain water).

And get ye to a doctor if you don't feel better soon, even just to get them to listen to baby and check it's ok for your peace of mind!

mouseymummy Sat 06-Apr-13 10:30:31

Thank you bunny. Something to bear in mind if I need it. Thank you x

mouseymummy Sat 06-Apr-13 11:41:07

Thanks crafty, I'm hoping it passes as soon as it came on tbh. I started feeling sick about 9ish n started vomiting at around 11, I've not been sick again since around 9 so I'm now sipping water and hoping the sicky feeling passes once I've had a nap!!

Going to feed the baby n hopefully after some food will make her sleep!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now