Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

One fetus, one empty sac - any experience?

(8 Posts)
crazyhead Fri 05-Apr-13 22:03:48

I just had a dating scan today, which showed one 9 week 3 day fetus looking fine, and another 1cm wide empty sac. Has anyone been through this? I haven't had bleeding and don't even know if you'd define this as a vanishing twin or not.

I feel quite strange about it - I didn't particularly want twins and with nothing in the sac I assume this must have been an incredibly early blighted ovum or something, but it is still a strange thought.

I am also paranoid about the surviving baby and any impact. I have been reading around and seen some mixed stuff on how it might affect my 12 week screening tests, and the usual things to make me a bit anxious.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who has had this experience

Bunnychan Fri 05-Apr-13 22:24:34

Could the sack not be from the fetus; sometimes they still show on earlier scans. I could be wrong though. Congratulations either way x

PinkFondantFancy Sat 06-Apr-13 07:49:25

I had this - I'm currently 39 weeks and the second sac has just gradually been reabsorbed. It was there but smaller and squashed by the 12 week scan and had almost vanished by 20 weeks. It didn't cause any problems with any of the measurements or tests.

crazyhead Sat 06-Apr-13 07:59:02

Thank you both! Glad to hear your experience with this has been straightforward PinkFondantFancy, and how nice you are so close to meeting your little one.

I sort of knew in the back of my mind that at 36 and bf when I conceived, I was statistically getting a bit more likely to release a couple of eggs, but it was a bit of a surprise. The thing is with scans these days is that I suppose they show you things you'd never have realised before!

thedevilsavocado Sat 06-Apr-13 08:06:17

HI there
I had this with ds, empty sac above him at 9 weeks. No sign of it by 12 weeks although I did have some scary bleeding episodes. Rest of pregnancy was fine, he was fine and is nearly 5 now and still gorgeous ;-).
I remember feeling very unsettled about it at the time, take care of yourself and hope you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

crazyhead Sat 06-Apr-13 09:05:39

Thank you thedevilsavocado. I was a big bleeder in my first pg and it feels ironic I haven't bled so far with this!

thekatsatonthematt Sat 06-Apr-13 14:18:26

I had similar with ds. He measured 10+something and we had another that measured 8+1 with no heartbeat.

They ushered us into a private room and the supervising midwife came to speak to us which felt totally over the top. We weren't expecting twins and still had a healthy baby in there iyswim.

I'd had a bit of a bleed a few weeks earlier but nothing major and there was no further bleed or pain. By the time I had the 20 week scan there was no sign of the twin.

As far as tests and stuff go the mw said we could go back at 12 weeks for the nuchal but that the accuracy could be comprimised. I decided against it as felt that I wouldn't want further testing anyway if it came back as high risk.

DS was born 40+2 with no complications and no health problems have been detected so far. He's now 15 months old and I'm 23 weeks pregnant. No twin detected this time round (although i was 14 weeks this time. Clearly I can't work my own dates out!!!)

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

2kidsintow Sat 06-Apr-13 14:23:07

I had 3 miscarriages.
THen I had what you described. One heartbeat, one empty sack. I did have a little bleeding and was worried is was going to be m/c no 4.

The bleeding stopped quickly and I went on to have an OK pregnancy. She was born 4 weeks early, naturally. And was healthy, just a little jaundiced.

DD is now 12 years old.

I got pregnant with her sister quickly and there were no complications at all. She also came early.

Good luck.,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now