Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What the likelihood of children born premature having health, learning or emotional difficulties?

(13 Posts)
BlueFishWonder Fri 05-Apr-13 09:23:39

Also posted in chat but meant to put it in here - I read so many articles stating how if your child is even born a week early health, intelligence, emotional issues are much more likely to occur. My midwife keeps telling me she thinks this baby will come early, (I am 32/33 weeks) and we need to be prepared for that. Reading all these articles is worries me but then again I don't know what the statistics vs reality is on this is. Can anyone fill me in?

Rockchick1984 Fri 05-Apr-13 09:36:12

Unless there's a medical issue that's making it likely you will give birth early I wouldn't worry - every one of my friends has been told by midwife that they look like they will go early! I think it's a bit of saying what you want to hear smile

mumnosbest Fri 05-Apr-13 09:42:05

Don't know the stats but:
Dd1 born at 36wks: 6lbs8 had a bit of jaundice (didnt need light therapy just plenty of feeds). She had an infection but that was because waters had gone and i didnt know. Now 5yrs, bright and healthy.

Dd2 38+5 wks: healthy 6lbs11 and absolutely fine.

nextphase Fri 05-Apr-13 09:44:08

Anything after 37 weeks is classed as a term birth.

Possible issues with pre term birth seem to focus on the very early births - before 30 weeks, which you are already past.

tommys seem to suggest that half babies born at 27 weeks (and most survive at this gestation) suffer from learning disabilities.

I was told DS2 would arrive before the midwife got back from her holiday at 36 weeks. (I was 34 weeks, she had a 2 week hol planned). He arrived on his due date.

Please don't worry too much.

FairyJen Fri 05-Apr-13 09:44:31

My ds was very prem and has gone without oxygen during labour ( ha to be resucitated at birth ) we were told to expect delays possible brain damage etc because of lack of oxygen.

Ds is 1 next month and completely on target developmentally smile

RJM17 Fri 05-Apr-13 10:06:36

My niece was born at 27 weeks and in hospital for a long time!! We really thought we were going to lose her! She has just had her second bday and is as active and cheeky as any other baby. They have even been told she is quite intelligent for her age!!
So it all depends on the baby and at your stage I really wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure ur DC will be just fine x

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Fri 05-Apr-13 10:26:46

I hope your mw has some evidence to back up terrifying you like that! Or maybe she just thinks you won't go overdue and you misunderstood?

Fwiw with dc1, head was engaged for weeks. All my v good mw said he'd be early (not prem just early). He was born at 40+13, 12 hours before my booked induction.

Unless you've been having contractions, or other signs, your mw can't possibly know you'll have a prem baby. Try to relax and good luck!

BlueFishWonder Fri 05-Apr-13 10:33:30

Hi HP, yes she has some reasons, though DS1 was born a couple of days past due date. I think midwife thinks this one will be early as baby showing quite big (but that is not uncommon in our family) and I keep having more full on bouts of contractions, sort of consistent ones for 2-3 hours at a time, every 10-15mins, that seem to be moving beyond Braxton hicks, this however is not uncommon for our family. So I am not convinced that she is right. My SIL recently had a baby and had a whole night of contractions early on then baby was 11 days late.

BlueFishWonder Fri 05-Apr-13 10:34:17

I think also it seems 32-33 weeks wouldn't be that early and likely to go at least past that now.

Marrow Fri 05-Apr-13 10:37:56

My DS was born at 32 weeks. He is now a lively (if not infuriating!) 2 year old and is hitting all developmental milestones. We don't have any concerns about him.

SouthernComforts Fri 05-Apr-13 10:41:27

Hi dd was born at 28 weeks and in hospital for a long time so I saw lots of babies come and go. At 33 weeks + they usually only stayed on SCBU for a bit of light therapy and/or until they established feeding. Usually just a few days.

plentyofsoap Fri 05-Apr-13 12:24:16

My ds was born 33 weeks and is now 4. He is a bright boy and very healthy. However, prems can be difficult with feeding and he was very fussy and the first two years were hard. He is rather slim, but tall and eats well now so I wish I had not stressed so much as I did but easier said than done! The bliss charity were fantastic and very helpful with advise.

Shootingstarsandcomets Fri 05-Apr-13 15:45:54

I had an early baby last year it was an induced labour so I had to see a consultant neo natologist to advise me of all the facts so I could decide if the baby was safer out than in. She said that yes up to 38 weeks the babys brain is developing and if all is well then much better for baby to be in than out. Turns out my baby wasn't safe in me and I had him at 36 weeks and he is fine. However all the research does point to significant benefits to a baby reaching 38 weeks gestation but that does NOT mean that if your baby comes early he/she will be at all 'damaged' its just better if they don't that's all. Hope that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now