Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ultrasound scans - early scans

(8 Posts)
Alexandra6 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:09:31

I've just booked in for an early scan at 8 weeks - does anyone think too many of these scans could have bad effects? Or fine to have extra early scans? I don't really want them to do the vaginal one (dildocam!) as a bit worried about being prodded around my cervix, but it sounds like early scans are usually over-the-belly? Would be good to know if anyone has any thoughts on this, thanks

Haylebop12 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:11:41

At 8 weeks there should be no problem doing an ultrasound via your tummy. I had one at 6 weeks.

Not sure about the effects, not a lot of research I dnt think. My need for reassurance outweighed any "possible" effects

Ellypoo Thu 04-Apr-13 18:49:52

I don't know about the possible side effects of ultra sound scans, but I have had at least 13 this pg (v high risk) and the reassurance was certainly needed as well as the need to keep checking on the baby.
My first scan was internal but that was just before 6 wks, when I went back for a follow up at 8 wks it was fine over the belly.
Good luck smile

newmama88 Thu 04-Apr-13 20:47:37

I had my scan last week at 9 weeks - was not warned re: risks so I assume it is ok. A lot of places seem to them as well so surely it is OK? Pretty amazing stuff though, we were able to see the baby's arm buds and its heart beating!! Good luck!

Alexandra6 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:13:46

Thanks everyone, really hope it goes well smile yeah they don't seem to have much research about side effects which worried me. Saw some study online about it maybe damaging mice a bit long term, but think it was inconclusive. I know lots of people have extra scans though. Trying not to worry as would be so nice being reassured (and hopefully I will be!) I guess I can always refuse dildocam? Do they usually find the heart beat quite quickly?

NotSpartacus Thu 04-Apr-13 21:18:53

You are quite likely to have a transvaginal ultrasound - many hospitals will not even attempt an abdominal scan at this stage, and for some of us (eg if you have a tilted uterus) they cant see much with an abdo scan until later on. You can refuse dildocam, but then you might not get the reassurance you want.
But it is only the tip of dildocam that goes in. Your cervix in pregnancy is very high up and the probe will not get near it! As a veteran of about 20 of the things I promise it is no biggie.

Alexandra6 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:25:41

Thanks spartacus I think I do have a tilted uterus, and it's also arcuate (heart shaped, an abnormality-does anyone else have this?!?) so maybe that will be an issue. Why did you have 20 dildocam scans? Was that all one pregnancy? I could ask them to be REALLY gentle with dildocam. They are going to try abdominally first, they're private and said that on the phone.

NotSpartacus Thu 04-Apr-13 21:32:44

Not all in one, no, thank goodness. Though now if I find myself with a sonographer I automatically start taking off my pants!
Private people always tried the abdominal scan first on me, and then switched when they couldn't get a good picture. I do have a little belly fat (not loads!) and possibly that affects it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now