Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Soooo tired, emotional and just need to have a rant!!!

(15 Posts)
Lj8893 Thu 04-Apr-13 14:41:53

I'm 10+3 weeks pregnant and just feel like a zombie, I've been fairly lucky that I have only had nausea and no vomiting but this tiredness is kicking my ass!!

I work full time and this is the second day in a few weeks I have had to call in sick because I'm just too tired to get out of bed. All I want to do is sleep!!

When I'm working I work 9-6 and try to stay up to eat and spend time with DP till about 10 but then on my days off (apart from the odd few I've had something planned) I am just staying in bed most the day, sleeping off and on and just chilling and relaxing.

Is this bad?

My partner seems to think its bad and I shouldn't be sleeping so much and doesn't understand why I'm so tired!

babyradio Thu 04-Apr-13 15:05:54

Sorry this may not be what you want to hear right now but I've had this kind of exhaustion the whole way through, but especially in the first trimester.

I barely got out of bed except to go to work. I wasn't sleeping properly but more lying awake thinking and worrying, sleeping for a few hours, waking up, lying awake etc etc... tried all the 'gentle exercise' type of advice and found that it didn't help so presumed my body really did just want to rest. It improved after about 14 weeks and up til 18-20 weeks I felt a bit more normal, still getting tired easily but at least more able to get up in the first place.

Have you had your booking in appt yet? Go with your partner and ask the midwife to explain about nausea and exhaustion and how debilitating it is, he needs to know that you're not just being "lazy". I had many many disagreements with my mum about what she saw effectively as laziness because she managed ok. I would have loved to have been one of those 'worked up to my due date, never got sick' type of pregnant ladies but sadly wasn't the hand I was dealt.

Lj8893 Thu 04-Apr-13 15:17:54

Thanks for your response, I've had my booking in apt and a scan yesterday to confirm how many weeks I was (wasent sure on dates) which he came to. He is being good in other ways but just doesn't quite grasp how hard my body is working to create our baby!

We have another scan in a couple of weeks and will see a midwife then so I will ask for them to explain to him!

polkadotsrock Thu 04-Apr-13 15:40:13

God I'm the same. 10+1 and no energy whatsoever. I have a ds who is 16 months and I manage to deal with him and his needs but VERY little else is getting done in this house. Feel awful as dh then has to clean etc and he works full time. I'm getting some sympathy but I'm actually not suffering as much as I did last time so dh thinks I should feel lucky to only be sick once a day and get on with a bit more. He's probably right, but I just can't muster the stamina

rrreow Thu 04-Apr-13 15:47:50

I'm sorry your partner hasn't been supportive about this. The tiredness in the first trimester is just completely overwhelming and has very little to do with anything you've done (i.e. you will be exhausted even if you've done nothing strenuous or had a long sleep etc). Maybe do some Googling about tiredness in the first trimester and show him the information, or get him to come to a midwife appointment and let the midwife tell him it's normal (sometimes they need to hear it from 'an authority' for some reason..).

Currently your body is doing a lot for the foetus as the placenta develops to take over all those duties. Your body is literally growing a whole person and although you can't see it from the outside, that is pretty exhausting work. Hopefully it will start to ease off soon. I think my tiredness got better around 12-14w. It's back with a vengeance now at 30w though!

dontworryjustpanic Thu 04-Apr-13 16:18:41

Hi, I too feel like a zombie & it's making me feel really miserable. I'm 11 weeks today & the nausea & tiredness feel so much worse this time. DS has decided today that he doesn't need a nap and I'm ready to bawl my eyes out. DH (mostly v supportive & understanding) asked last night if he had to deal with me whinging for the next 6 months! Last time I felt great once I'd made it to 2nd trimester though so hang on in there & keep your fingers crossed - hopefully you'll feel like a different person in a couple of weeks.

Lydia161290 Thu 04-Apr-13 19:00:39

I remember staying in bed nearly the whole first trimester from exhaustion too. I worked nights which made me feel worse and I had so much sickness too. I remember phoning in loads of times because I just couldn't cope.

I found that I had very little sympathy in the first trimester from my partner. He kept complaining that I was being unhealthy and it wasn't good for the baby sleeping all the time.

He didn't understand and wasn't going through it, so I told him to stop being an insensitive ass and let me deal with it how I wanted to deal with it.

He backed off. Once I entered the second trimester and started feeling normal again he apologized in his own way for being horrible when I was sick. I think it takes men a bit of a while for them to realize that creating and bearing life is hard and tiring.

All I can say to you is hang in there, it will pass. I'm 24 weeks pregnant now and feel great. Partner being more supportive too.

NumTumDeDum Thu 04-Apr-13 19:03:09

It is exhausting because you are developing the foetus' main organs but it could also be iron deficiency compounding it. Your gp can arrange bloods to check.

MummyRolly Thu 04-Apr-13 19:33:09

I am only 8-9 weeks and exhausted too. Before I found out I was pregnant I was training for a half marathon and going to the gym 3 times a week, now I'm falling asleep all the time and have a major case of baby brain, just speaking and concentrating is difficult, so I know how you feel!

Lj8893 Thu 04-Apr-13 19:54:51

Numtum, my gp checked my iron levels a couple weeks ago and they are fine, I have been eating lots of iron rich food and drinking vitamin water which contains iron also just to be on the safe side!

CheshireDing Thu 04-Apr-13 20:05:08

Have you tried taking Pregnacare/similar and making sure you eat good food regularly. I know it sounds silly but any little thing can help at the beginning when as Num says this is the hardest time your body works as it's making everything from the start, after that it's just getting bigger.

CheshireDing Thu 04-Apr-13 20:05:29

sorry x post

candr Thu 04-Apr-13 20:10:24

Last time I was working ft and was shattered but got sympathy from DH, now because I am SAHM with 19m old I get no bloody sympathy or help as 'this is my job' and i should sleep when DS sleeps and it is not like DH gets a chance for a nap during the day! - no but he does get time to himself and is not expected to do jobs around the house. Sorry but am in a real mood with DH for being selfish knob at the moment. Look after yourself and sleep when you can.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 04-Apr-13 20:13:10

Wow - I'm 12+2, and I started almost this exact thread about 2 weeks ago!

Everybody who replied basically said it was completely normal and it'll pass soon. I started that thread after I'd spent the bet part of a whole weekend on my backside catching up with my sky planner.

However, I've turned a corner, which Ithink is quite common for 12-13 weeks. I even cooked tea tonight!

Rest unashamedly! You'll get through this bit. You're growing a baby. It's hard!

Lj8893 Thu 04-Apr-13 20:16:56

Thanks all, I'm so glad to hear it gets better!!!

I haven't really got out of bed today, only to get some lunch (which I ate in bed!!!).

Tomorrow I will try and get out of bed so I don't feel like I have completely wasted my days off! Maybe ill try some baking or something not too energetic! Also DP would love the cakes so maybe ill get him a little less grumpy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now